Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metros could Atlanta overtake?
Washington D.C. (pop. 5.3 million) 99 46.92%
Miami (pop. 5.4 million) 121 57.35%
Houston (pop. 5.6 million) 48 22.75%
Philadelphia (pop. 5.8 million) 88 41.71%
Dallas/Ft. Worth (pop. 6.1 million) 26 12.32%
Chicago (pop. 9.5 million) 8 3.79%
Los Angeles (pop. 12.8 million) 5 2.37%
New York City (pop. 18.8 million) 7 3.32%
None of the above 50 23.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:32 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I never knew a discussion like this could get so heated. Wowzers. rainrocks, sorry bro, but you need one of these: http://www.outmac.com/blog/wp-conten...01/fukitol.jpg

maybe break a small piece of for deacon .
I'm fine, thank you. I've encountered his excellence before on city-data, so I know how he is already. His city is #1!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 05:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Philadelphia is one of the poorest, shabbiest dying cities in the U.S. Even if it hurts your feelings, it's true.

Oh...there is the superior attitude again...you tried "cautioning" us about Atlanta's growth by citing Philadelphia's superlative status. Thank you so much for that!

Philadelphia is one of the poorest cities in the U.S. Did I say that yet?

You cant throw the fact that Philadlephia is one of the poorest cities in the country at me when Atlanta is even poorer than Philadlephia. Defies logic.

Good grief

Old 11-30-2008, 05:53 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Just stop!

The U.S. Bureau of Economic Anlysis is the evidencial guideline that has to be used . Here it is for all to see, every metro in the country without biasness.
http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...df/mpi0808.pdf

Per capita income is a misleading statistic. The relevant statistic here is average family income. Per capita income is a figure that penalizes places that are affordible enough for people who have kids because most kids are at school and not at work. People move to Atlanta because housing is cheap and they want to start a family. Housing is much more expensive in Philly relative to incomes, as such people who want to start families tend to move to more affordible places like Atlanta, Phx, Vegas and Houston.

The data source for census scope is the US census bureau.

CensusScope -- About the 2000 Census

CensusScope -- Household Income

Again average family incomes are higher in Atlanta than Philly. The per capita number is misleading for our purposes.

Quote:
Imagine if this professor did a report on metro Atlanta which has less people than metro Philaldephia but has 2x the amount of acreage comprised in its metro.
There are parts of the city of Philly that are fairly dense. But the Philly MSA is the topic that we have been discussing on this thread. The Philly MSA isn't particularly dense. Those growth controls you are advocating pushing people further away from the city and making the region less dense.

Again the professor that I am citing is a professor at an institution you should be familiar with. He lives in Chesnut Hill. He is intimately familiar with Philly.
Witold Rybczynski Faculty Profile - The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/faculty/rybczyn.html - broken link)

He is the one who is writing papers about how bad sprawl is in the Philadelphia region.

Measuring Sprawl

Quote:
Incomes are absolutely not higher. Housing cost /cost of living is cheaper which is the main reason for your growth. You might be all pumped about that now but 50-75-100 years from now when all that cheap housing deteriorates your region is going to be in for a rude awakening.The availabilty of cheap housing is a bad reason for growth.

You are misguided. People arent abandoning the Philadlephia metro. The Philadlephia area has grown every census period since records have been kept.On the otherhand The city of Philadelphia has lost population for the very same reasons I am cautioning you about. Overpopulation, mass production of housing, and the ensuing aftermath of soceity that comes with age.

You guys are confused about the condition of metro Philadlephia.86% of college graduates from the Philaldephia region stay in the Philaldephia region. If it were so bad you would be inclined to believe those graduates would leave.

I tend to believe you sunbelters are a little bit delusional.

http://www.collegia.com/survey.pdf
Apparently the Philly schools system isn't up to snuff either.

The US born population of the Philly region continues to abandon the region for more desirable areas.

Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

whereas in Atlanta you have both people immigrating from abroad as well as domestic immigration.

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

The data clearly shows that the Atlanta area is better educated and wealthier.

Again, more people go to college and grad school in Atlanta versus Philly.

CensusScope -- Education Statistics

CensusScope -- Education Statistics

Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I suppose it is you who refuses to hear the truth.

Here are official statistics from the US Census Bureau.

State and County QuickFacts

Percentage of people living below the poverty line (2000)

Atlanta 24.4%
Philadlephia 22.9 %

I didnt even come hear to argue about cities. I actually tried cautioning you about overgrowth and used past cities including Philadlephia as an good example of the potential downfalls of unsustained growth.

Now beat it punk.
Again we are talking about the MSAs. Family incomes in the Philly MSA are lower than Family incomes in the Atlanta MSA.

again data sources on this is the US census.

CensusScope -- About the 2000 Census

Old 11-30-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
You cant throw the fact that Philadlephia is one of the poorest cities in the country at me when Atlanta is even poorer than Philadlephia. Defies logic.

Good grief
The city of Atlanta has some concentrations of poverty. But the overall MSA does much better than Philly MSA.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_klown View Post
The city of Atlanta has some concentrations of poverty. But the overall MSA does much better than Philly MSA.
Bravo!

Philadelphia is one of the poorest cities in the U.S.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm fine, thank you. I've encountered his excellence before on city-data, so I know how he is already. His city is #1!!!!
His city is not even close to number one. These are the true cities in America that stand out!!

1. NYC - the king of the world!
2. LA - I know people are going to bash me for it - but I don't care. Being originally from California, I know what LA is all about.
3. Chicago
4. SF & DC tied
5. Maybe Atlanta, Maybe Houston, Maybe Boston, Maybe Dallas, Maybe Philly, Maybe Miami, Maybe Detroit.

The easiest thing for Angel713 is to move to NYC - then he or she will be the king. But then Angel713 is on top with population, he or she will come up with a "best weather" competition. Then Angel713 will have to move next door to LaMachine.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
His city is not even close to number one. These are the true cities in America that stand out!!

1. NYC - the king of the world!
2. LA - I know people are going to bash me for it - but I don't care. Being originally from California, I know what LA is all about.
3. Chicago
4. SF & DC tied
5. Maybe Atlanta, Maybe Houston, Maybe Boston, Maybe Dallas, Maybe Philly, Maybe Miami, Maybe Detroit.

The easiest thing for Angel713 is to move to NYC - then he or she will be the king. But then Angel713 is on top with population, he or she will come up with a "best weather" competition.
So...uh...when did this become about me?

(I'm a he by the way. i was listening to a rap song called angel when i joined this forum, so the name stuck)

Old 11-30-2008, 06:56 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Aren't you the person that is promoting Atlanta is the next NYC?? If not, then obviously I need to read all the posts...

Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM

I was referring to rainrock as his excellence and feelings of superiority about Philadelphia...not only in this thread, but in any thread that includes Atlanta as an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.