Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

What I'm hearing here sounds like more of a rural versus urban issue, rather than northern versus southern.

People in upstate NY hate people in NYC, and vice versa.
People in lower Illinois hate people in Chicago, and vice versa.
People in Georgia hate people in Atlanta, and vice versa.

And the list goes on...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Lived as far north as Fairbanks, Alaska and as far south as Atlanta, GA.
I will always prefer the north!

My wife has lived as far north as Chicago,IL and as far south as Jacksonville, FL. She will always prefer the south.

Happy marriage is simple, "Happy Wife, Happy Life"
Looks like I will be living in the south.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What I'm hearing here sounds like more of a rural versus urban issue, rather than northern versus southern.

People in upstate NY hate people in NYC, and vice versa.
People in lower Illinois hate people in Chicago, and vice versa.
People in Georgia hate people in Atlanta, and vice versa.

And the list goes on...............

Very true. As a NYC area native we dont even acknowledge upstate and think of them as a bunch of hillbillies...lol. I choose not to be so judgemental as there are many great ppl up that way.

When I was in Galveston, TX the natives complained about all the trailor parks between Galveston and Corpus Christi.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 PM

Other countries also have the same issues. Northern Italiand hate Southern Italians, Southern Italians hate Sicilians. West Germans dislike East Germans......etc...etc..

Old 12-17-2008, 08:25 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
The US:
The south = Warmer, friendlier.
The north = Prettier, more historic.
(Please tell me if it isn't right)
Hmmm, I find the historic part very debatable. The northeast, for example, may be historic but the people don't celebrate their history the way they do in the South. I'm originally from NYC and Long Island (most of my life), lived in Maryland (not the South) for 12 years and have been in Tennessee for a year and 7 months and I have been to more living history events here (and in Kentucky) in that short time, than the entire rest of my life. I also know more about the history of my current town and my county than any other place I've ever lived because history is important here.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Very true. As a NYC area native we dont even acknowledge upstate and think of them as a bunch of hillbillies...lol. I choose not to be so judgemental as there are many great ppl up that way.
It's a shame, because I bet most of those "hillbillies" are better traveled and have seen more than most people in NYC. What's really sad is the people who have lived their entire life in NYC and have never been any further than Newark.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I was born and raised in the south. Arkansas, to be exact, with short stints in Tennessee and Alabama.
When someone from the north moved in, it was always the southerners that initiated the arguments.
Now...come on...real life isn't anything like an online forum. This type of debate/discussion is found online, not in the everyday world.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
This is such a freaking subjective question. For it depends on where the poster has been within a region.

Charleston, South Carolina, smokes Muncie, Indiana, for example.

New York is way better than Atlanta, which in turn is way better than Philadelphia, which is a lot more fun than Dallas.

Detroit, Michigan, is way better than Montgomery, Alabama.

The stretch of I-65 through Indiana is slightly more scenic than the interstate between Macon, Georgia, and Savannah.

Every town has its run-down sections, and most of them are rather convenient to the interstate, while the interesting parts of any given town typically are not. So driving through a city on the way to someplace else doesn't mean you've been there.

There are a-holes wherever you go, and nice people wherever you go.

Southerners, I've learned, may talk more slowly than we Northerners, but they are definitely not a bunch of knuckle dragging hayseeds. And I heard the N-word more times around my Uncle's Thanksgiving dinner in Cleveland than I've heard in 15 years living in Birmingham, Alabama.

The nicest and most helpful people I've ever met can be found on the streets of Manhattan.

It would be really nice if people put away the idiotic stereotypes. Good grief, they just mean you have a lazy mind.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It's a shame, because I bet most of those "hillbillies" are better traveled and have seen more than most people in NYC. What's really sad is the people who have lived their entire life in NYC and have never been any further than Newark.

Well there is no way to tell who travels more although most of the ppl in the counties surrounding NY prob travel more because there is a lot of wealth in these parts. Every part of the country has ppl who don't travel and don't know what they are missing, its hardly a NYC thing.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hmmm, I find the historic part very debatable. The northeast, for example, may be historic but the people don't celebrate their history the way they do in the South. I'm originally from NYC and Long Island (most of my life), lived in Maryland (not the South) for 12 years and have been in Tennessee for a year and 7 months and I have been to more living history events here (and in Kentucky) in that short time, than the entire rest of my life. I also know more about the history of my current town and my county than any other place I've ever lived because history is important here.

Yea well on Long Island whats history?...lol...I am from the Island too. So how are you liking TN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.