Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:30 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I'm not sure just how up-to-date you are on the downtowns of the big cities, especially on the east coast. Manhattan,Boston, Brooklyn, The capitol District,Philly all have amazing clean safe downtowns. You'll see homeless but you'll also see incredible vibrancy and diversity.The positive far outeighs the negative.

Philly's the grittiest of them all and center city Philly is nothing short of spectacular. Close to 500 restaurants and bars and 100,000 people living in a upscale 3 sq.mile area. Philly has its share of problems but the downtown is not one of them. Its absolutely booming.Although the section of downtown right by the historic district could use some work.
Well then I guess it is move up to Philly.

Yup I would not want to miss that snow filled alley with the one way sign and the steps where only one guy brothered to shovel it. Why does that bring back such warm memories? All what you think you are seeing. The glamor of it all.

In Boston the cops had to live in the city. One black guy lived a couple doors down from me worked the downtown area at nights. Many nights so many calls they never got a lunch / coffee break. The guy that lived directly next to me was a cop, worked the downtown when he first started, you don't even want to know some of those stories, different when you hear it from the ones that see it up close and personal everyday. The one story I loved the best, the cops said when heroin got to $10 a bag the city was saturated, could not go any lower. When I left two years ago it was at $3 a bag.

I can't help but remembering going to the JFK building that spring and seeing all those heaved bricks in the plaza at government center with just the worse mess and thinking they call this a World class city. If Philly is grimer than Boston, yup that would qualify for "amazing clean safe downtowns".

Just don't park your car with a radio deck that is not removable for very long. They don't last too long. Those Big - H boys are very nimble.

All how a fellow spins it. Lots of stories in the Big City.

They even are a lil paranoid about keeping the doors locked in the better bigger places in Florida, I know I didn't lock it once when walking the dog this winter, relatives a bit unhappy. Better not do it in Boston even once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 11:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Well then I guess it is move up to Philly.

Yup I would not want to miss that snow filled alley with the one way sign and the steps where only one guy brothered to shovel it. Why does that bring back such warm memories? All what you think you are seeing. The glamor of it all.

In Boston the cops had to live in the city. One black guy lived a couple doors down from me worked the downtown area at nights. Many nights so many calls they never got a lunch / coffee break. The guy that lived directly next to me was a cop, worked the downtown when he first started, you don't even want to know some of those stories, different when you hear it from the ones that see it up close and personal everyday. The one story I loved the best, the cops said when heroin got to $10 a bag the city was saturated, could not go any lower. When I left two years ago it was at $3 a bag.

I can't help but remembering going to the JFK building that spring and seeing all those heaved bricks in the plaza at government center with just the worse mess and thinking they call this a World class city. If Philly is grimer than Boston, yup that would qualify for "amazing clean safe downtowns".

Just don't park your car with a radio deck that is not removable for very long. They don't last too long. Those Big - H boys are very nimble.

All how a fellow spins it. Lots of stories in the Big City.

They even are a lil paranoid about keeping the doors locked in the better bigger places in Florida, I know I didn't lock it once when walking the dog this winter, relatives a bit unhappy. Better not do it in Boston even once.
How long ago were those Boston stories?

15 years ago those sort of things were common in center city Philly as well but not any longer. The restaurant/cultural/entertainment scene is too lucrative now for those conditions. There isn't much crime at all in center city between the amount of people walking the streets and the police its a fairly safe to walk the streets before 2 am at least.

As far as the narrow streets and snow. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I personally can't stand the 8 lane boulevards of the newer cities and the lifestyle centers of suburbia.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:35 AM

364 posts, read 527,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Are they happy or just stuck where they are? Some might be just gasping after this winter.

Florida's problems have to be solved in Florida. Quit blaming the Yankees (whoever they are) and quit messing up the Promised Land.

There are no more Paradises to run too. Least none in eastern / northern big cities, not even in NC or TN. Big cities need to be fixed along with the Promised Land.

Maybe need a movie where some Arab guy is driving a bulldozer from Boston to Miami and all the problems he has along the way. Good music will help.
Are you an idiot? Do you truly not understand that some people WANT to live in the North? Alot of people HATE the South and would never live there. This is just YOUR view.

Blaming Yankees Florida... I have no idea and don't care what your talking about with that.

You mentioned Atlanta- I own a home in Buckhead and don't care for Atlanta. Bores me.

The Northeast has alot to offer. NYC is a top destination around the world. This is apparently going to come as a shock but not everyone shares your jaded view.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 AM

364 posts, read 527,258 times
NYC is not even in the top 25 for dangerous citys. Pretty impressive that the largest city in the US is not in the 25. If you want to talk about crime I think California is a contender. And the angriest city- Orlando. LOL.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,584 times
Burlington VT.

Well under 2 hours from Montreal by car.
3.5 hours by car from Boston (neighbors drive down and back the same day for Red Sox games)

4 real seasons, booming performing arts scene.
Walk to the lake, bikepath, museums, shops, restaurants and pedestrian downtown, library and lakefront cafes. Amazing festivals, childrens hands-on lakefront science museum, farmers market, and Art Deco Movie Palace restored for the performing arts.

And as a bonus - there's a discernable difference between town, country and suburbs here. Careful planning seems to be holding sprawl at bay.

If you're considering Portland Maine, have a look at Burlington VT.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:39 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Default Jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Burlington VT.

Well under 2 hours from Montreal by car.
3.5 hours by car from Boston (neighbors drive down and back the same day for Red Sox games)

4 real seasons, booming performing arts scene.
Walk to the lake, bikepath, museums, shops, restaurants and pedestrian downtown, library and lakefront cafes. Amazing festivals, childrens hands-on lakefront science museum, farmers market, and Art Deco Movie Palace restored for the performing arts.

And as a bonus - there's a discernable difference between town, country and suburbs here. Careful planning seems to be holding sprawl at bay.

If you're considering Portland Maine, have a look at Burlington VT.

But are there JOBS in Burlington or Portland?

Old 03-06-2007, 09:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Default Smaller Metros in New England/Northeast?

The term "downtown living" doesn't necessarily just have to apply to the BosWash Corridor, folks. There are a lot of medium-sized cities that I think have a lot of potential to have very vibrant, liveable urban cores within the next decade, among them are:

Portland, ME
Manchester, NH
Concord, NH
Nashua, NH
Burlington, VT
Syracuse, NY
Albany, NY
Rochester, NY
Buffalo, NY
Scranton, PA
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bethlehem, PA
Easton, PA
State College, PA
Harrisburg, PA

I know many of these cities have seen "brighter days" in the past, but a lot of them are poised for success over the next decade. Speaking from my own experiences with the cities in PA, Bethlehem and Easton have been benefitting from population growth in nearby areas from NYC/NJ transplants, and Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are both "next-in-line" to get this growth. I know Bethlehem's South Side is home to a lot of funky shops, galleries, etc., and the BethWorks project, and the North Side is home to the Moravian Book Store and various other historic buildings. Scranton and Wilkes-Barre both have a lot of upcoming investments---Wilkes-Barre is currently seeing a nightlife boom, along with new loft housing and condo projects, and Scranton has been enjoying a healthier climate for independent merchants in its downtown as nearby residential areas continue to rebound. I just returned home from State College today, and the town totally blew me away with its VERY unique downtown rife with ethnic eateries, nightlife, used book stores, and a healthy blend of chain retailers as well. On the flip side, I also read in a local independent newspaper about a severe crisis facing the surrounding county in terms of unaffordable housing. Judging by BellaFinzi's photo tours on the NY forum, Downtown Syracuse is also seeing a revival.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:05 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Default Downtown Seattle would be a great choice

Old 03-16-2007, 05:13 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Very beautiful, but what's the cost for such an address?

Old 03-16-2007, 07:13 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Seattle is more busy than I remember ...... What is with some of those people

Yup, Seattle does look busy, I never liked all that rain. Could not help noticing these things in the crowds. What are they doing???

This guy must work in the Ministry of Silly Walks; aka Monty Python

How does he do that???

Is this guy a flasher. Raincoat and legs spread, starting to get the attention of the object of his affection. Other dudes on the benches seem to have a good angle too. Just about like some do in Boston.

I am glad they go shopping in Seattle. Expensive stuff in lots of bags, but what is that guy looking at? She is nice but his head is in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.