Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I get Stl in the NFC North but you should not have even brought up the East because all of the Southern teams (AFC & NFC) are further east than Stl. I get the West right now but the Rams in the East make as much sense as the Cowboys being in the East.
I guess I didn't think of that...just checked the NFC East, you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:57 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Chip,

Are you high? Even though the Cowboys are worth more, the Redskins generate the most money (REVENUE) in the NFL and also has the highest attendance year after year. Fedex Field seats 92,000 and is sold out. Why would JJ give up that 60/40 split to go play the Saints or Carolina? Plus I don't care how sorry the teams are, the rivalry has delivered some of the most memorable games in all of sports. Look it up! Plus, there is no substitute for history. And hating a team always helps! Even thought the Redskins were basically out of it the last few games of the season, the fans celebrated when Dallas lost to the Ravens and Eagles to miss the playoffs. We wallow in their misery like they do us.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 01-06-2009 at 02:20 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Chip,

Are you high? Even though the Cowboys are worth more, the Redskins generate the most money (REVENUE) in the NFL and also has the highest attendance year after year. Fedex Field seats 92,000 and is sold out. Why would JJ give up that 60/40 split to go play the Saints or Carolina? Plus I don't care how sorry the teams are, the rivalry has delivered some of the most memorable games in all of sports. Look it up! Plus, there is no substitute for history. And hating a team always helps! Even thought the Redskins were basically out of it the last few games of the season, the fans celebrated when Dallas lost to the Ravens and Eagles to miss the playoffs. We wallow in their misery like they do us.
Yep. I loved it when the skins lost to sorry teams like St. Louis, Cincy, and San Francisco. I loved it when they lost by three touchdowns to Seattle last year in the playoffs. It's what rivalries are all about and I and most NFL fans do not care to start a new one with Atlanta, New Orleans, and Tampa Bay.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:21 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Yes, but if Cincinnati can go in the AFC North, and it is practically at the same latitude as St. Louis, makes no sense why St. Louis shouldn't be there. There is considerable distance between Cincinnati and Baltimore, roughly the same as the other aforementioned. I actually think that St. Louis is a much better fit for the four teams in the NFC North than the NFC South...geographically and culturally and economically it is far more linked to all four of those cities than to New Orleans. If you ask me, Dallas is a better fit for the South than the West...geographically it is far closer to New Orleans than it is to Seattle or San Francisco. Culturally, economically, and demographically Dallas is very much a Southern city.
THERE ARE ALREADY 4 TEAMS IN THE NFC NORTH - CHICAGO, DETROIT, GREEN BAY, AND MINNESOTA. ARE YOU SUGGESTING THE NFC NORTH SHOULD HAVE 5 TEAMS AND ANOTHER NFC DIVISION HAVE 3 TEAMS??!??

Cincinnati and Baltimore are MUCH closer to one another than St. Louis is to Washington/Philadelphia/New York. Of course, Cincinnati is much closer to Indianapolis (about 115 miles) than it is to Baltimore.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:27 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
Chip,

The Redskins have good rivalries already with the Eagles and Giants. They could develop a good rivalry with Carolina, particularly among the fans in North Carolina who remained Redskins fans even after the Panthers came along. The big losers in moving Dallas out of the NFC East are all the bandwagon Cowboys fans in the DC area.

Having now lived in the DC area for a full (or almost full NFL season), I have to say there are A LOT more Cowboys fans in the DC area than there are in the Philly area, which is truly sad considering the Redskins had some very good teams in the 1970's and some great or very good teams in the 1980's and early 1990's. I never expected to see as many Cowboys fans around Washington as I have. (On a side note, it seems like 75% of those Cowboys fans live in Prince George's County.)

Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Chip,

Replace the Cowboys with Carolina? It will never happen. The fans in both cities would rebel. Chip, I don't think you understand the intensity or history surrounding the two teams. We are talking Roger Stauback throwing a ten yard lob to Tony Hill to keep the Skins out of the playoffs in 79'. Dexter Manley knocking Danny White out in the NFC Championship Game in 82'. Hollywood Henderson throwing a wreath into the Redskins locker room in 78'. An unknown Clint Longley bringing the Boys from behind with a few TD passes to beat the Skins during Thanksgiving. Brunell to Moss for two 4th quarter TD's with 3 minutes to play when the game was virtually over. The late great Sean Taylor recovering a blocked field goal that would have won the game for the Boys and advancing it 50 yards to set up the Skins game winning field goal. Cowboy fans singing happy birthday to Joe Theismann after the whipping the Skins butt. The stands in RFK shaking tremendously after a 83' divisional playoff win with the fans screaming we want Dallas. Too much drama involved to kill it.

Did you ready my previous post explaining why there are so many Cowpoke fans in DC? And yes, the majority of them are black. But you know I love that fact about the DC area and that makes the rivalry so great. I went to the Cowboy/Redskins game on Monday night back in 05 when we "Mossed" the Boys for two TD's with 3 minutes remaining. I was shocked by all of the Redskins fans in Dallas. It goes both ways.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 01-07-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
That's just weird DC's Finest. I find it funny that Dallas has lots of Skins' fans and DC has lots of Dallas fans. I agree that it can't be replaced ever.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,690 times
Quote:
Some of this information I am reading is very inaccurate, so, I'll try to enlighten everyone. During the sixties, the Redskins were owned by a racist named George Preston Marshall. He hated blacks. He was a lover of everything "Old South." Being that the Redskins were the southern most team in the NFL, he marketed the franchise as the "Team of the South." Remember, there was no Tampa, Atlanta, Carolina, Jacksonville, Tennessee, New Orleans or Dallas franchises at the time.

The Redskins were on radio stations in each of these markets every Sunday. They also had a huge following in each of these cities. Marshall was also in love with the song "Hail to the Redskins," which ended in "Fight for Old Dixie." Keep this in mind because it will come into play. In comes Texas millionaire Clint Murchison Jr. who wanted to bring a franchise to Dallas but was having a hard time. He was in negotiations with Marshall to purchase the Redskins but the deal fell through at the last minute. Murchison then went the expansion route but was repeatedly blocked by Marshall’s deciding vote.

Murchison discovered that Marshall's band director who wrote the song "Hail to the Redskins" had a falling out with the owner. He then bought the rights to the song for $2,500 and used it as leverage to get Marshall to vote him into the league if he returned it to Marshall. In the DC area, it was well known at the time that Marshall was a racist. The Federal Government was about to evict Marshall out of RFK and the NFL threatened sanctions if Marshall continued to keep black players off the team. He finally backed down and Bobby Mitchell (Hall of Famer) became the Redskins' first black player.

By this time, most of the damage had been done. Many AA in DC hated the Redskins for this. And because Dallas did the opposite by allowing many black players on their teams, they adopted the Cowboys. After Marshall died, new team owner and nationally renowned attorney Edward Bennett Williams bought the team and changed the ending of the fight song to “Fight for Old DC.” Today, there are many Cowboy fans in the DC area. They are misguided and don't know why they love Dallas so much. The rivalry continues to be one of sports greatest. Both franchisees are the #1 and #2 richest teams in all of sports. Dallas will never leave the NFC East because it brings in the most stadium revenue than any other division, which is split (60 home/40 away) between the teams during games.
Not just DC but it seems like the whole state of Virginia are Dallas fans. It's ok because the Cowgirls are garbage anyway.

GO EAGLES!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The Redskins have good rivalries already with the Eagles and Giants. They could develop a good rivalry with Carolina, particularly among the fans in North Carolina who remained Redskins fans even after the Panthers came along. The big losers in moving Dallas out of the NFC East are all the bandwagon Cowboys fans in the DC area.

Having now lived in the DC area for a full (or almost full NFL season), I have to say there are A LOT more Cowboys fans in the DC area than there are in the Philly area, which is truly sad considering the Redskins had some very good teams in the 1970's and some great or very good teams in the 1980's and early 1990's. I never expected to see as many Cowboys fans around Washington as I have. (On a side note, it seems like 75% of those Cowboys fans live in Prince George's County.)
Ha Ha what makes you think that 75 percent of Dallas fans are from PG county.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
That's just weird DC's Finest. I find it funny that Dallas has lots of Skins' fans and DC has lots of Dallas fans. I agree that it can't be replaced ever.
That's what makes this rivalry so unique and fun to follow. Many of our family members are fans of both teams. We have friends and co-workers that cheer for both teams. Most of all, it's suppose to be all in fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.