Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:43 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah I forgot anbout GA. People mentioned NC, but if you mention NC you gotta mention GA. They have the same variety.
True.

Also Tennessee. No seacoast but there is a major difference from Memphis on the river to Chattanooga and Knoxville in the Mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I'd vote Texas and Hawaii. All sorts of different terrains and topographies.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Regions of New York

I keep finding links on an elementary school level, but hey, it works, right?

Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
The glorious Hudson River valley with its palisades and castles,

The sea on Long Island,

The Lake Ontario coast with its sapphire blue horizon and bluffs,

The vast Adirondack wildernesses with their very unique Northeastern character that is not New England but pure New York. (the cry of the loon) bigger than Yosemite and Yellowstone combined, and forerunner of the national park movement,

The Finger Lakes with their broad vineyard lands sloping down to the water. Blue sky, green fields, purple hills,

Falling water every where (2nd most waterfalls in U.S., Michigan ranks 1st), through those towering Rivendellesque moss covered gorges with their stone WPA bridges,

The magical fairyland Thousand Islands, which number MORE than a thousand... (it's not a euphemism),

All the hills and dales of the Southern Tier,

The flat green dairy lands of the North Country,

the great Montezuma Swamp,

The woods of Tug Hill, that blank spot on the map with no roads and no towns, where there are taverns in the middle of the forest along the snowmobile trails, and second-floor doors on the hunting camps because it is the snowiest spot in the Lower 48,

The old stone locks and aqueducts of the legendary Erie Canal hidden in every town and field, like Roman ruins,

Art Deco Buffalo, colonial Albany, hippie Ithaca,

Syracuse where the air conditioning was invented that makes Western and Southern living possible,

Times Square, the Brooklyn Bridge, Ellis Island,

land of Hiawatha, the Peacemaker, and the mighty Six Nations of Iroquois (whose flag still flies),

turning point of the American Revolution (at Oriskany and Saratoga),

crucible of abolition,

birthplace of American women's rights,

"the greatest state in the greatest country in the only world we know,"

NEW YORK!

(ok. I'm done.)

Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I haven't been to NY, the closes I've been to it is D.C.

Explain what makes these cities different from eachother....
hang on. let me get this straight. you've only been to tacoma, and never to NY, and you are saying with absolute certainty they don't have more variety than TX? And to add to it, you get all up in arms when people who have been to many places in Texas say it's not?!? Did I get that right?

For someone who accuses people of spouting off without facts, you sure don't practice what you preach.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Regions of New York

I keep finding links on an elementary school level, but hey, it works, right?
Lol Houstoner you sure found a serious paper on the regions of NY!

Still its not bad - except for several hundred spelling mistakes and the fact that the Hudson does not flow into the Delaware river at Port Jervis!

Also Long Island and Staten Island are not flat. And since Staten Island makes up less 10% of it I vote we change the name from Atlantic Lowlands to "Long Island and Associates Inc."

Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You just put your finger on one of the reasons why NY seems so diverse. Much of the older small towns upstate (called villages in NY) but also buried in suburban Westchester and Long Island were settled by New Englanders as far back as the early 1600s.

Somewhere out in WNY and also the southern tier there is a boundary where Pennsylvania culture begins to dominate. I have often noticed a difference in Pennsylvania towns when on vacation. Why Pennsylvania looks and feels slightly different from the other English colonies I cannot say. Perhaps William Penn and his early land use planning in Philadelphia has something to do with it?

One thing, Albany is about 150 years older than you mentioned lol!
You are right about the "boundary" between PA & NE influences. It runs right thru PenYan, NY, a small town in the Finger Lakes, so named because that's where the PA settlement met the NE settlement!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
The glorious Hudson River valley with its palisades and castles,

The sea on Long Island,

The Lake Ontario coast with its sapphire blue horizon and bluffs,

The vast Adirondack wildernesses with their very unique Northeastern character that is not New England but pure New York. (the cry of the loon) bigger than Yosemite and Yellowstone combined, and forerunner of the national park movement,

The Finger Lakes with their broad vineyard lands sloping down to the water. Blue sky, green fields, purple hills,

Falling water every where (2nd most waterfalls in U.S., Michigan ranks 1st), through those towering Rivendellesque moss covered gorges with their stone WPA bridges,

The magical fairyland Thousand Islands, which number MORE than a thousand... (it's not a euphemism),

All the hills and dales of the Southern Tier,

The flat green dairy lands of the North Country,

the great Montezuma Swamp,

The woods of Tug Hill, that blank spot on the map with no roads and no towns, where there are taverns in the middle of the forest along the snowmobile trails, and second-floor doors on the hunting camps because it is the snowiest spot in the Lower 48,

The old stone locks and aqueducts of the legendary Erie Canal hidden in every town and field, like Roman ruins,

Art Deco Buffalo, colonial Albany, hippie Ithaca,

Syracuse where the air conditioning was invented that makes Western and Southern living possible,

Times Square, the Brooklyn Bridge, Ellis Island,

land of Hiawatha, the Peacemaker, and the mighty Six Nations of Iroquois (whose flag still flies),

turning point of the American Revolution (at Oriskany and Saratoga),

crucible of abolition,

birthplace of American women's rights,

"the greatest state in the greatest country in the only world we know,"

NEW YORK!

(ok. I'm done.)
Wow, Jeromeville, that was beautiful! I (heart) NY!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
hang on. let me get this straight. you've only been to tacoma, and never to NY, and you are saying with absolute certainty they don't have more variety than TX? And to add to it, you get all up in arms when people who have been to many places in Texas say it's not?!? Did I get that right?

For someone who accuses people of spouting off without facts, you sure don't practice what you preach.
It is a FACT that Texas offers one of the most diverse tophographies in this country alongside CA. NY really can't even be compared to TX when it comes to offering different types of atmosphere and scenery when it comes to TX. When people judge NY, they either say they like NYC or upstate NY, when it comes to TX it is either San Antonio, West Texas, Houston, dallas, hill country,etc.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Texas
Pine forest and prairie in the northeast (Dallas); Swamps, bayous, oak trees, and flatness in the southeast (Houston); Somewhat desert in the west (El Paso); etc.

Louisiana
Pines and hills in the north (Shreveport); Below sea level in the southeast (New Orleans); Rolling hills in the central part (Alexandria); flat in the southwest part (Lake Charles). Plus each city is completely different from anything else in the state.

Tennessee
Flat with some alluvial soil from the Mississippi on the west end (Memphis); Mountains on the other end (Nashville)

Alabama
Extremely hilly in the north (Birmingham); rolling hills in the middle (Montgomery); coastal at the bottom (Mobile)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.