Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is your favorite college town??
Ithaca, New York 8 6.78%
Cambridge, Massachusetts 14 11.86%
Princeton, New Jersey 6 5.08%
New Haven, Connecticut 7 5.93%
Pal Alto, California 4 3.39%
Athens, Georgia 7 5.93%
Gainsville, Florida 9 7.63%
Austin, Texas 20 16.95%
Charlottesville, Virginia 7 5.93%
Ann Arbor, Michigan 12 10.17%
Columbia, South Carolina 2 1.69%
Ames, Iowa 4 3.39%
Amherst, Massachusetts 2 1.69%
College Park, Maryland 4 3.39%
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 8 6.78%
Other 47 39.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:57 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times

Advertisements

Cambridge.
What other college town could boast two schools like Harvard and MIT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 02:26 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dude just give it up, Austin is definatly influenced by UT college scene. Without UT, the city would be an ordinary Texas city with nothing special. It would probably be on par with Waco. I go to Austin all the time and it is still a college town. UT is what brings in a lot of business and people. Just because they are building out there skyline dosen't mean it isn't a college town anymore.
Austin would be on par with Waco without UT? Yeah, I mean they have no other industries inside the city such as it's budding technology field and the center of the what is one of the most powerful state governments. How could Austin ever do it without UT. Look, many new residents do not consider Austin a college town any longer because of it's fast growth in the past 20 years. Them building skyscrapers has very little to do with what I am saying. Besides, most of those scrapers going up are residential anyway. Austin does not revolve around just UT anymore.

Some of yall are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying UT is not a big deal in Austin anymore. It's just that it's not the only thing anymore. The politics has gotten stronger and so has the technology field which is attracting all kinds of people especially from California to flock there. They don't call Austin the silicon hills for nothing.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:29 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,558,437 times
Man, will you look at the poll? It's Other by a landslide!

Old 01-26-2009, 03:41 PM

44 posts, read 108,200 times
Madison, WI.

The Berkley of the Midwest.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:50 PM

93,380 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Austin brings other thoughts to mind before "college town"....the capital of Texas for one. A college town is one where the town IS the university, and the university IS the town. Austin is much more than UT...isn't it?

In addition to the poll options...Tuscaloosa AL, Clemson SC, Lawrence KS, Fayetteville AR, Boone NC, State College PA, Provo UT, Blacksburg VA, Morgantown WV, Oxford MS, Bloomington IN, Greenville NC, etc.
Then, Madison is out of the question if that is the case since it is the capital of Wisconsin and has over 200,000 people in it.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Do you live in Austin? Or have you recently?
Austin gets a lot of good lip-service, but to those who enjoy a large city with large city amenities, it can be a disappointment. And yes, a lot of what happens today there DOES revolved around the university. I'm not sure why in every thread that comes up about it, you always insist differently.

College town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A college town or university town is a community (often literally a town, but possibly a small or medium sized city, or in some cases a neighborhood or a district of a city) which is dominated by its university population. The university may be large, or there may be several smaller institutions such as liberal arts colleges clustered, or the residential population may be small, but college towns in all cases are so dubbed because the presence of the educational institution(s) pervades economic and social life. Many local residents may be employed by the university - which may be the largest employer in the community, many businesses cater primarily to the university"

Sounds like Austin to me. That's exactly how it felt when I was living there (in the city; I never lived in the 'burbs, which are probably much less college-centric.)

College town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - list of college towns by state
And... there's Austin.
According to that definition, the University Hill/Eastside of Syracuse could be listed as well since Syracuse University and smaller LeMoyne College has a big presence in that part of the city.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Cambridge.
What other college town could boast two schools like Harvard and MIT?
True....I know Ithaca has Cornell and Ithaca College, but it's not on the same level as those two.

Have to give tiny Wilberforce, Ohio some love for having two Historically Black colleges in Central State U. and Wilberforce University.

Wilberforce University - THE NEW WU!

Welcome to Central State University

Wilberforce, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-26-2009, 04:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Austin would be on par with Waco without UT? Yeah, I mean they have no other industries inside the city such as it's budding technology field and the center of the what is one of the most powerful state governments. How could Austin ever do it without UT. Look, many new residents do not consider Austin a college town any longer because of it's fast growth in the past 20 years. Them building skyscrapers has very little to do with what I am saying. Besides, most of those scrapers going up are residential anyway. Austin does not revolve around just UT anymore.

Some of yall are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying UT is not a big deal in Austin anymore. It's just that it's not the only thing anymore. The politics has gotten stronger and so has the technology field which is attracting all kinds of people especially from California to flock there. They don't call Austin the silicon hills for nothing.
All that stuff your talking about is in the suburbs. Yeah Film and Technology is big in Austin, but it still dosen't erase that fact that Austin is a BIG college town trying to become a city. In Waco, we have Baylor, but Waco isn't based around Baylor and many people who live there don't care for it like people do in Austin toward UT. You can't say Atlanta or Chicago is like Austin because of their college scene because those cities are world-class international cities who have a presence beyond our nation. Also, the colleges in those cities are mainly commuter schools unlike UT.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:52 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
My vote would have to be for Madtown.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:09 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
All that stuff your talking about is in the suburbs. Yeah Film and Technology is big in Austin, but it still dosen't erase that fact that Austin is a BIG college town trying to become a city. In Waco, we have Baylor, but Waco isn't based around Baylor and many people who live there don't care for it like people do in Austin toward UT. You can't say Atlanta or Chicago is like Austin because of their college scene because those cities are world-class international cities who have a presence beyond our nation. Also, the colleges in those cities are mainly commuter schools unlike UT.
Commuter schools???

Atlanta...Georgia Tech, Emory, Georgia State, West Georgia, Morehouse, Oglethorpe, Agnes Scott, Spelman, etc. - NOT commuter schools.

Chicago...Northwestern, University of Chicago, University of Illinois Chicago, Depaul, Loyola University, etc. - NOT commuter schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.