Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
That's cool and all. I'm not disparaging Long Island. I'm just saying that LI doesn't satisfy the requirements of my topic on street life. Look back at the post that started the thread. I'm looking for areas that most resemble the street ambience of the European or Latin American experience.
I'm just trying to show you how it's FAR from rural, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 03:49 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
So you would say Atlanta doesn't qualify?

No because its not heavy streetlife the Only place i can think thats
usually heavy is Atlantic station on the weekends and Lil 5 points and Midtown by peidmont park . when i think about bust streets Times Square and union sqaure come to mind because there is lots of foot traffic Atlanta doesnt have anything that brings the people to a center core like those types of places maybe after midtown mile yeah but now No

Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
This is a great topic. Streetlife is the cornerstone of urbanity. The funny thing is that even small towns in this country that were built before the rise of the automobile had far more streetlife than your average American city of 2009. The rise of car-oriented suburbia even invaded many big-city downtowns. As a result, there are very few places in this country where one can go to the theater, to the drugstore, do your shopping, eat dinner out, walk your dog, and attend church without having to depend on an automobile. I adore the very few places where this can be done. Having lived in Europe (Madrid), I know have satisfying it is to live somewhere that feels alive and is not soulless, car-dominated suburbia. With that said, here are some of my favorite neighborhoods/cities/districts in the US that meet the criteria expressed in this thread:

Back Bay, Boston
Beacon Hill, Boston
Brookline, MA
South End, Boston
Cambridge, MA
North End, Boston
Upper East Side, NYC
Upper West Side, NYC
Greenwich Village, NYC
Brooklyn Heights, NYC
Cobble Hill / Boerum Hill / Carroll Gardens, NYC
Park Slope, NYC
South Beach, Miami Beach
Lincoln Park, Chicago
Capitol Hill, Seattle
Center City, Philadelphia
Haight/Ashbury, San Francisco
Marina District, San Francisco

Old 01-31-2009, 12:12 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
No because its not heavy streetlife the Only place i can think thats
usually heavy is Atlantic station on the weekends and Lil 5 points and Midtown by peidmont park . when i think about bust streets Times Square and union sqaure come to mind because there is lots of foot traffic Atlanta doesnt have anything that brings the people to a center core like those types of places maybe after midtown mile yeah but now No
You don't think that the neighborhoods in my earlier post have street life? Virginia-Highland is probably the best in that regard...Downtown or Midtown might be just as lively...Atlantic Station and L5P are good examples as well. I would also add Castleberry Hill, Decatur, West End, East Atlanta, Lindbergh, and Candler Park. I'm not comparing them to Times Square, but these areas do have decent to heavy amounts of foot traffic and colorful, lively activities and destinations.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You don't think that the neighborhoods in my earlier post have street life? Virginia-Highland is probably the best in that regard...Downtown or Midtown might be just as lively...Atlantic Station and L5P are good examples as well. I would also add Castleberry Hill, Decatur, West End, East Atlanta, Lindbergh, and Candler Park. I'm not comparing them to Times Square, but these areas do have decent to heavy amounts of foot traffic and colorful, lively activities and destinations.

yeah they do but there not popping like alot of places i have been too i have walked in those nieghborhoods. Virgina highlands is the best With urbanoutfitters and bill holliman my 2 favorite stores. Atlanta Nieghborhoods just need just a lil more

Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
yeah they do but there not popping like alot of places i have been too i have walked in those nieghborhoods. Virgina highlands is the best With urbanoutfitters and bill holliman my 2 favorite stores. Atlanta Nieghborhoods just need just a lil more
I've seen those places you're talking about too...I would never expect the little Virginia-Highland district to be anything like Union Square or Times Square, and I wouldn't want it to be. To me, those are not necessarily the gauge by which to judge all neighborhood street life because all neighborhoods have unique layouts/amenities/pedestrian traffic patterns/capacities/etc. VA-HI isn't a tourist spot and the atmostphere is very laid back...and the only chains I can think of in the area are Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's and CVS. It's just a different kind of place that has its own style of lively street life (like any neighborhood does) and I don't see comparing it to something like Union Square.

What are you doing up so late anyway?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I've seen those places you're talking about too...I would never expect the little Virginia-Highland district to be anything like Union Square or Times Square, and I wouldn't want it to be. To me, those are not necessarily the gauge by which to judge all neighborhood street life because all neighborhoods have unique layouts/amenities/pedestrian traffic patterns/capacities/etc. VA-HI isn't a tourist spot and the atmostphere is very laid back...and the only chains I can think of in the area are Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's and CVS. It's just a different kind of place that has its own style of lively street life (like any neighborhood does) and I don't see comparing it to something like Union Square.

What are you doing up so late anyway?

I cant sleep man i need to be in Bed. And another thing have you been to those city vs city threads? Why is Atlanta in just about everyone of them and Im thinking people really like Atlanta. They bash it like hell and then people are always trying to compare it to other places

Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
The top 100 are all in Canada. College towns and Tourist towns in the US have some steet life, but that's about it.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:08 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Have you been to any of the neighborhoods I mentioned in the list I posted above? Most of the Canadian developed landscalpe is post-WWII auto-oriented suburbia just as it is in the US. I agree that Canadian cities do have street life - Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver all come to mind - but overall I would never say that Canada overwhelmingly beats the US when it comes to this aspect of urbanity.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
This is a great topic. Streetlife is the cornerstone of urbanity. The funny thing is that even small towns in this country that were built before the rise of the automobile had far more streetlife than your average American city of 2009. The rise of car-oriented suburbia even invaded many big-city downtowns. As a result, there are very few places in this country where one can go to the theater, to the drugstore, do your shopping, eat dinner out, walk your dog, and attend church without having to depend on an automobile. I adore the very few places where this can be done. Having lived in Europe (Madrid), I know have satisfying it is to live somewhere that feels alive and is not soulless, car-dominated suburbia. With that said, here are some of my favorite neighborhoods/cities/districts in the US that meet the criteria expressed in this thread:

Back Bay, Boston
Beacon Hill, Boston
Brookline, MA
South End, Boston
Cambridge, MA
North End, Boston
Upper East Side, NYC
Upper West Side, NYC
Greenwich Village, NYC
Brooklyn Heights, NYC
Cobble Hill / Boerum Hill / Carroll Gardens, NYC
Park Slope, NYC
South Beach, Miami Beach
Lincoln Park, Chicago
Capitol Hill, Seattle
Center City, Philadelphia
Haight/Ashbury, San Francisco
Marina District, San Francisco
There are a lot more places that meet the criteria than those you listed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.