Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill05 View Post
Any good towns in Mass worth looking into?

Also how high is the cost of living?
Boston?

It has some of the best hopitals.

Great Schools.

Low Crime

..and you could go to Wachusett (ski resort) like city_data said.

idk how high is the cost of living there is though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:26 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
As far as cost of living goes...

They have calculators online where you enter your current salary and location and pick a new location. They tell you how much you would have to make at the new location to maintain your lifestyle.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html

The first link says if you make $50k in Dallas, you would need to make $43,160 in St. Louis.
According to the second link, if you make $50k a year in Dallas, you'd need to make $49,406 in St. Louis to have the same standard of living.

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 05:19 AM..

Old 01-25-2009, 06:33 PM

12 posts, read 22,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
There's a ski resort in Eureka, Missouri. There are also some good school districts in the suburbs and good private schools. Barnes-Jewish Hospital is one of the best hospitals in the Midwest. If you work in or near the city, you may need a town in between St. Louis and Eureka, since Eureka will probably be a half-hour for the city (not factoring traffic).
Here's the website for the ski resort.

Hidden Valley :: Home Page - Hidden Valley

St. Louis won't get as much snow as Massachusetts, but you will still get some. I do admit, Missouri doesn't have a whole lot of ski rinks, though. But the land is beautiful, and during the summer you can take trips to Lake of the Ozarks, or Branson (there's a rather large lake there as well - Table Rock Lake), and there are other smaller things to do, like Six Flags. And there's baseball, football, hockey, and (maybe eventually) soccer.

Just a thought.

Also, any other requirements?

And cost of living shouldn't be that high. You can get a decent 3BR (I would think) in most suburbs for $250k, maybe less in the city. I wouldn't recommend city schools, although there are some great private schools in the area (most Catholic I think).

No not really, we just want to be able to find a place where we can live safe and comfortably and have all the amenities a family requires. Skiing isn't the most important, but we would appreciate some snow in the winter. And these damn Texas summers are something I really want to get away from!

Old 01-25-2009, 06:36 PM

Missouri might fit you. I would think the cost of living would be similar to what it is in TX (but of course rural, suburban, or urban might make it vary also).

Any other things you enjoy? Sports? Concerts? Outdoor activities?

What kind of job would you be looking for (if you don't mind me asking)?
That would probably help determine where you live also.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Cost of living is cheaper the further away from Boston you are. As far as towns go, it depends what you're looking for. Do you want rural, suburban, or urban? How big or small do you want the town to be (population)?

I dont like really big cities, but I like to have a city big enough to have a hospital, restaurants, you know a medium sized town

Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Missouri might fit you. I would think the cost of living would be similar to what it is in TX (but of course rural, suburban, or urban might make it vary also).

Any other things you enjoy? Sports? Concerts? Outdoor activities?

What kind of job would you be looking for (if you don't mind me asking)?
That would probably help determine where you live also.
Outdoors activities for sure. We dont do a lot right now since our son is barely 1yo. But we are definitely looking for a place that is more outdoors oriented.

I currently am in the auto body repair business. Im thinking about getting into the insurance side though. My wife has a business degree, but she still has some finishing up to do

Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Actually, the economy (as far as jobs) in much of the northeast is not really that bad off. It's the midwest and west coast that are having problems.

Wachusett is probably going to be weak for the ski enthusiast. I've done it. But Vermont is nearby.

Look into upstate NY as well. I think that area (job wise) is doing better than Long Island.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 PM

For a medium-sized town (100k-150k), you could try Columbia or Jefferson City or Springfield. Columbia and Jeff City should be about 2 hours from the ski resort in Eureka. Jefferson City is the capital and Columbia is a college town. Both have hospitals, but I don't know much about them. Columbia is pushing 100k population and Jefferson City is smaller (about 40k) and about 30 miles from Columbia.

Springfield is in the Southwest corner of Missouri. Seems to have pretty good hospitals. I don't know much about schools. Browse the Missouri and Springfield forums. Some of those threads should answer questions about hospitals and schools. Springfield is about 150k people. From what I've seen, it seems to be growing. Springfield has an airport.

Of course there are smaller towns, like Cape Girardeau.

Try this site:
http://www.trails.com/toptrails.aspx?area=10066
Last summer we went to Lake of the Ozarks for vacation. Our resort condo had a balcony on the lake. It was offseason, so it was about $95 a month. I think that was in July maybe. They had an indoor pool and an outdoor pool, as well as a swimming area on the lake. Up on the strip you can eat pizza and look over the lake. Usually there's people water skiing out there, and people in boats. We went last year in July and as we were leaving a bunch of college students checked in. You do want to not be there the few nights around 4th of July. It gets very crowded and there are certain parts of the lake called Party Coves. I guess if you're a college kid it's fun.

The strip at Lake of the Ozarks has seen better days, but we still enjoy walking along there. You can get fudge and browse the novelty shops. It's not an all-day event anymore, though. But also around the lake there's plenty of places to golf (regular golf and mini golf). There's a big water park there. And the scenery is hard to beat.

We've also visited Table Rock Lake. I don't remember much of it, though. Springfield has the Missouri sports Hall of Fame. Branson is big on country-western. When in Branson we rarely do that stuff, though, seeing as it is often expensive. But if you're into shows, and you have some money to burn, it can be fun. Branson also has Silver Dollar City and White Water.
http://www.silverdollarcity.com/
There's Marvel Cave there. You can tour it. http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.c...tractionID=399
Missouri is a land of caves. Beermakers in St. Louis used to use them to keep beer cold before the days of refridgeration.
Here's a map http://missouricaves.com/mo-map.htm
Quote:
Missouri has over 5,500 caves that support over 900 species of animals. These caves are formed by water seeping through the limestone bedrock that underlies much of Missouri.
Cave-dependent species have always been rare because their habitat is limited. Protecting the fragile balance of cave environments is critical to the survival of these communities.
http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/caves/

Seems like most of Missouri is Ozarks, so outdoor activities shouldn't be hard to find. Even in my little town in Southeast Missouri, there are a lot of places within an hour of here to hike, fish, hunt. Hunting is big.

Are you a fisherman?

Also, here's some photos
http://www.mo.gov/mo/mophotos.htm (broken link)
http://www.mo.nrcs.usda.gov/news/MOp...leryindex.html

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 01-25-2009 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-25-2009, 06:53 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill05 View Post
I dont like really big cities, but I like to have a city big enough to have a hospital, restaurants, you know a medium sized town
Leominster has a hospital and is right near Wachusett (the ski area). There's also Milford, Bellingham, Franklin, and Hopkinton. Milford has a hospital and those other towns are near Milford. Franklin and Hopkinton are on the expensive side, though. Milford's schools might not be what you have in mind. But you would probably like Bellingham. Depending on where you're from in Texas, Massachusetts might be different in the sense that all the towns are close together. You can live in a town but have access to a lot of stuff in other towns. The biggest factor when picking what town to live in is where your job is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.