Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 PM
ImK ImK started this thread

1 posts, read 1,532 times

Advertisements

Hello! Newbie posting for the first time, long time lurker however. Hoping to get some opinions to my question. I don't think an answer exists for now.

Okay, I am looking for a town/city somewhere in the USA. Any suggestions would be helpful. Myself and my partner are about 25 years old in age and about to graduate college.

My main concerns that I want to have in this magical, fantasy city are:

Job opportunities for myself and my partner. I am graduating soon with my degree in video game design and animation. So, I'm focusing on places where they may be a game design studio or two, maybe a place that houses animation or even something with computers. He will be in either the same computer know-how field or in veterinary care. (I know, I know, CALIFORNIA for game programmers ) But, hoping for something with...

Affordable housing. I'm not quite sure what I would consider 'affordable' just yet, but browsing around on some of the salary websites, I could probably take on a mortgage around $350,000 and below possibly; maybe even higher. And by affordable, I was looking at a place that was probably in the area of at least 3 bedrooms, unsure on square feet; maybe 2000? Is that a high number? Anyone have an idea of how large that is? And we were looking at houses, but if condos were all we could get, that'd be okay too.

ALSO, even though it may be odd, but looking at places that are even hardcore red conservative. I don't really like the idea, but I gotta make sacrifices somewhere. Just wanting to, like if we got a place in the suburbs, if it was all we could find, I just don't want the HOA or even our neighbors coming to our door and telling us we need to leave before we spread the disease to their children. We're pretty private people at that; not that we're rude, but both very shy about meeting new people, but would open up and chat with folks once we know them.

And we don't flaunt our lifestyle if you want to call it that; no bar hopping for us. We spend most of our time either at home or out for a small recreational activity like the park or a movie.

He wants small town I suppose? Something rural, away from the city and nature being our neighbor. I would want something maybe about the same, just didn't want to have to have a huge commute time to work with all the concern over gas prices. I wouldn't mind a subrub home or something along the like.

If we can find something along those lines, then I was hoping to move on to personal things, if it can be called that.

We'd like mild weather, not too hto summers, cool winters, snow if it must, but not so much that we absolutely freeze to death and are covered in it. But, if it's all we can get, I'd be fine with it. I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life, so I am used to wild weather. My partner is from Texas and we're both kinda tired of rolling plains.

Something with trees and lakes and mountains would be very nice. Not too keen on the desert, but wouldn't mind it. I have family in New Mexico and I enjoyed it a lot out there and I think I'd like living there.

I've been keeping an eye on Raleigh, North Carolina for a while as well as Reno/Sparks Nevada and Las Vegas. Polar opposites, I know.

But, if any city in the US fits any of this criteria AT ALL , please help! Much appreciated in advance!

The K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
Maybe somewhere around Seattle or Bellingham Washington?

Welcome to the Forum!!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:06 PM

138 posts, read 369,130 times
How about the Bay Area?

Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
How about the Bay Area?
Sadly $350,000 will get you a broom closet in most of the Bay.
and the cheaper parts arent exactly the kinda places most people wanna live.
Or else I would recommend Petaluma or somewhere in Marin County.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I don't quite get it, but are you saying that you are gay? Is this what you mean by "our neighbors coming to our door and telling us we need to leave before we spread the disease to their children." or is it something else? Why not just come out and say you are looking for a town that is ........ and gay frindly?

There are a lot of video jobs in Knoxville, don't know about gaming specifically, though. Can you find that info from trade magazines? Affordable with decent weather, though it gets hot. If you found a job we could suggest gayborhoods but most people are pretty tolerant, it goes with the hilbilly tradition of keeping out of other people's business.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:20 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Some more thoughts - in your field you need to look for job openings first, then research the cities where they are located.

Also, when you are ready to buy a home - unless they are very prevalent in your area, don't buy a SF home with a HOA. My theory is they attract people who seek conformity. Condos will have HOAs out of necessity to deal with common upkeep but they aren't really needed for single family neighborhoods.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Perhaps some cities in Oregon...Portland, Eugene, Salem? Seattle/Tacoma area might work well if you can cope with the gray skies for much of the year. Northern New Mexico could work too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.