Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 09:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Hope not. A cultured Southern accent is a thing of beauty. I would hate to think that, one day, we'll all talk like television anchormen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Tell me, have you ever traveled the south before?
Many, many times. What does that have to do with anything?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:28 AM

213 posts, read 388,528 times
I would hope not!

This is one of the most famous accents in Texas from the most famous socialite in Texas and US. Lynn Wyatt.

(Swooning) Lynn Wyatt on Haute Couture, 1980s. - YouTube

"I'm swooned!"

Old 03-12-2014, 05:27 PM

462 posts, read 720,327 times
Quote:
Who's cheering for it? Also, why is it "dull"? I think it sounds a heck of a lot more intelligent than several choice accents in regions of America.
Any accent can sound intelligent if the content coming out of one's mouth is intelligent. Regional accents give variety to a increasingly generic country. Maybe it's not "cheering" but it seems to be a popular subject that come up a lot. The tone sometimes seems one of exhultation. If you like a generic accent to move around from region to region, good for you. I like local accents to have some flavor to them.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Any accent can sound intelligent if the content coming out of one's mouth is intelligent. Regional accents give variety to a increasingly generic country. Maybe it's not "cheering" but it seems to be a popular subject that come up a lot. The tone sometimes seems one of exhultation. If you like a generic accent to move around from region to region, good for you. I like local accents to have some flavor to them.
I'm not against regional accents! I never stated I wanted the southern accent to die, I'm just asking if it will die.

Now, I'd be lying if I said that some accents didn't get on my nerves, but not all of them. I think having Piers Morgan on CNN is proof that even though most Americans think someone with a British accent sounds more intelligent does not always mean that they are more intelligent, same goes for other accents as well. It's still tough to bypass the stigma that most people associate with the thick southern accents.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
When you ignore science and instead rely wholly on your "keen eye," you get the Dark Ages.

At no point did I say his research was infallable, I am simply stating that there is NOTHING backing up your opinion here, and unless you can link to some stats or research to back it, I'll go with one of the world's leading linguists over some hack on CD, sorry!
Do you have your own opinion on this matter, or are your thoughts exactly the same as this professor from Pennsylvania? I hope you know that hacks write books and cite data and information as well.

Last edited by JMT; 03-13-2014 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Let's not go there.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
I'm not against regional accents! I never stated I wanted the southern accent to die, I'm just asking if it will die.

Now, I'd be lying if I said that some accents didn't get on my nerves, but not all of them. I think having Piers Morgan on CNN is proof that even though most Americans think someone with a British accent sounds more intelligent does not always mean that they are more intelligent, same goes for other accents as well. It's still tough to bypass the stigma that most people associate with the thick southern accents.
Only certain British accents--most specifically, the "north" accent--are taken as "more intelligent." Others, such as the Cockney accent, are not taken as more intelligence.

Interestingly, in Britain the north accent is analogous to the plain midwestern accent of the US.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Only certain British accents--most specifically, the "north" accent--are taken as "more intelligent." Others, such as the Cockney accent, are not taken as more intelligence.

Interestingly, in Britain the north accent is analogous to the plain midwestern accent of the US.
Interesting stuff! I don't know how the British accents are labeled. I just know the very famous one, that the more high class citizens or more educated ones, or as you say the "north". I know there are other British accents, we hear them from time to time in movies that have actual English actors, there are some pretty backwater sounding accents as well, and those definitely do not inspire the thought of intelligence.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:24 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,479 times
Quote:
Do you have your own opinion on this matter, or are your thoughts exactly the same as this professor from Pennsylvania? I hope you know that hacks write books and cite data and information as well.
This Professor is considered one of the top linguists in the field.

My own opinion is that you started this thread under false assumptions and are completely unwilling to admit that you may in fact be wrong, even in the face of scientific study.

Last edited by JMT; 03-13-2014 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 06:56 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Interesting stuff! I don't know how the British accents are labeled. I just know the very famous one, that the more high class citizens or more educated ones, or as you say the "north". I know there are other British accents, we hear them from time to time in movies that have actual English actors, there are some pretty backwater sounding accents as well, and those definitely do not inspire the thought of intelligence.
And the British tend to be even more prejudiced about different accents. As I mentioned earlier, Vivian Brown has carried her southern accent nationwide on the Weather Channel for over 20 years. Dan Rather always had a bit of his Texas accent. I think Americans can stand hearing more southern accent than the media moguls in NYC and Hollywood think they can.

But the Brits can get downright hissy over a newscaster with anything other than a North accent. They don't just change the channel, they write nasty letters to the station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.