Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
True and that spills over into West Virginia, Virgina and Eastern Tennessee too. Actually, some of the towns in southern WV have pretty high Black percentages like Welch and Gary.

By the way, what is the name of the town your dad is from? What might be more odd is that the people in some of those towns stick together more than mixed communities in other parts of the state and the South.
My dad was born in Lynch in 1942 and moved to a little community called Hiram when he was 5. My family actually lived in the area a long time before the coal boom of the 1930s - they lived on both the KY & VA side of Black Mountain since 1830. During the coal boom all types & races of people moved there for the middle class life style it provided. A coal mine was one of the only places an African American or Catholic immigrant could make the same wage and have the same quality of life as a Protestant Anglo.

Here are some pictures of Lynch, Kentucky today

Lynch's old Colored School

http://www.coalcampusa.com/eastky/harlan/colored.jpg (broken link)

A Catholic church in Lynch

http://www.coalcampusa.com/eastky/harlan/hospital.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My dad was born in Lynch in 1942 and moved to a little community called Hiram when he was 5. My family actually lived in the area a long time before the coal boom of the 1930s - they lived on both the KY & VA side of Black Mountain since 1830. During the coal boom all types & races of people moved there for the middle class life style it provided. A coal mine was one of the only places an African American or Catholic immigrant could make the same wage and have the same quality of life as a Protestant Anglo.

Here are some pictures of Lynch, Kentucky today

Lynch's old Colored School

A Catholic church in Lynch
What you said is why I think the people were more inclined to be closer than other parts of the South due to the type of work and the relative treatment. Lynch only has 900 people total any way. So, it's tough to not know each other.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
So there's no risk of being lynched in Lynch?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Orange Mound in Memphis, TN is no place to be white. It's no place to be anything really. It's a great place to just stay out of.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I think, a NASCAR race in Berkley, California.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Orange Mound in Memphis, TN is no place to be white. It's no place to be anything really. It's a great place to just stay out of.
Haha. The UofM (where I go to school) is right around the corner from there. It's not as bad as everyone thinks. I drove around the neighborhoods of Orange Mound because I like exploring. Some of the neighborhoods looked really nice and clean, I didnt feel unsafe. I bought a snow cone from a little kid selling them in his yard. I've eaten at Popeyes and bought gas in Orange Mound and nothing bad happened. But it's true that there are hardly any white people. I don't think i've ever seen a white person walking around in Orange Mound.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:24 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Haha. The UofM (where I go to school) is right around the corner from there. It's not as bad as everyone thinks. I drove around the neighborhoods of Orange Mound because I like exploring. Some of the neighborhoods looked really nice and clean, I didnt feel unsafe. I bought a snow cone from a little kid selling them in his yard. I've eaten at Popeyes and bought gas in Orange Mound and nothing bad happened. But it's true that there are hardly any white people. I don't think i've ever seen a white person walking around in Orange Mound.
Here's some information on the area:Orange Mound, Memphis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
For a while, I lived in an apartment about three blocks from Orange Mound. Every evening, I would be lulled to sleep by the horns of freight trains and the sound of gun shots.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:24 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I, a white guy, can't say I'd be comfortable strollin' down the blvd in East St. Louis.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:28 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxParody View Post
Gays are more like to get hurt than blacks or whites in certain areas. Gays can only go in some places and thats it. Blacks can go everywhere but some places in the south and whites can go everywhere but a few ghettos. Gays only have their gayborhoods. Poor ****.
Yes, but sexual orientation is not visible unless someone flaunts it, but that is at their own risk. Gays passing through a conservative town in rural Oklahoma can just look normal. Everyone knows if you're black or white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.