Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
So every tourist(according to you) that comes to Chicago raves about its cleanliness but you come to Philadlephia and disparagingly speak for every Philadlephia tourist. Is that how it works?
That's an impressive leap of logic, I gotta tell ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
To answer your question, all inner cities have faced the same challenges.
No, not all of them have. Most older cities have.

Quote:
That is loss of business, large masses moving to suburbs, etc. I just thought that someone from Chicago would understand that being as though it, along with Philly, Detroit, bmore,etc all were in the same situation. You were speaking about Philadelphia as though it being grimy,dirty is unique. It isn't.
I didn't say anything about it being unique. Once again, the fact that there are other cities that are grimy and run-down does not mean Philadelphia is not grimy and run-down. This thread asks about Philadelphia, and only Philadelphia. If you want comparisons, go check out the City v. City thread.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,657 times
Go Eagles! Philly Rocks!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 PM

19 posts, read 38,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Boston definitely is not a global city IMO (regardless what any measure says); it is merely the capital of New England. New York is a global city because it's the most important city in the U.S., and Washington is a global city because it is the U.S. capital.

As for the Weather Channel comment I made earlier, I watch that channel almost every weekday morning in the 6-7 AM ET timeframe. The hosts are ALWAYS mentioning Philadelphia (and the other big eastern cities) during the broadcast. Well, they don't mention Baltimore as much, but Charm City is mentioned at least once or twice during that hour more often than not.

Finally, the whole Northeast Corridor thing is because it is easiest for people to remember the northern and southern end big cities and of course New York is such a huge and important city it has to be mentioned; to not mention the Big Apple would be very strange. If Philadelphia and either Washington or Boston were to switch locations and everything else about them remained the same (which is admittedly is impossible because each city's location influenced its character and development) then the city located where Philadelphia is located would get mentioned less.
Well yeah, on Your Weather Today they always mention Philadelphia. But on evenings it's a rarity.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:22 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
You were speaking about Philadelphia as though it being grimy,dirty is unique. It isn't.
That could be said about anywhere though.............. As bad as a city like Newark's reputation is, there are fine neighborhoods.
Philly has problems that are pressing & in need of attention.
I like Philly & hope for its return, but it's a major city in need of repair.
No two ways about it.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The last time I was in Philadelphia, I got the impression that Philadelphia barely cares about itself. That is one seriously grimey town.
When was the last time you were in Philadlephia? What was your specific location during your visit ? Are we talking Center City, the ghettoes, the residential neighborhoods,riverfront, where exactly were you? What percentage of Philadelphias 135 sq. miles would classify as seriously grimy?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Get a grip chief, you are from Indianapolis of all places, know your derisive boundaries.
Nice pic. Love those nighttime cityscapes. This is an especially attractive view.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM

19 posts, read 38,473 times
meh

Old 03-04-2009, 06:28 PM

414 posts, read 907,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
You're being quite hypocritical with that last statement. Please clarify your last statement. i mean Baltimore is larger than DC if that says anything. OR are you saying Baltimore is a ghetto. please, do tell
The only people I know of who remotely care about Philadelphia, are people from Philly. The rest, well, no one really cares much at all. It is what it is. Personally, I have been to philly quite a few times, and it just does not impress, nor do much for me. There just is not much special or memorable about it anymore. That said, from a historic perspective, it is very relevant, and a very historic place for sure.

Baltimore is about 150K larger than Washington. Now if you want to talk Metropolitan areas, D.C. Blows Baltimore out of the water by a mile, at 5.6 Million. Baltimore I do believe is around 1.8 mil in its metro area.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post

Baltimore is about 150K larger than Washington. Now if you want to talk Metropolitan areas, D.C. Blows Baltimore out of the water by a mile, at 5.6 Million. Baltimore I do believe is around 1.8 mil in its metro area.
And you're giving me information i already know because...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.