Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,723 times

Advertisements

I love the Keys....Key West to Big Pine especially! My hubby & I did it the hard way...we raised 2 kids from preschool to junior high school in Key West... moving back to Maine for affordable prices. Now it is 10 years later & I need a Key West I can afford to live and of course work....always work..but I would like to be able to afford it. Any ideas as to where we can go now..sans kids? Yes...we are restaurant folk......50 & 60 respectfully, fit, feisty & fun...bartenders...but we do what we must...kids are now restaurant people too...despite private school...outward bound...college...(performing arts school in Canada...Toronto/Belleville, Ontario!) Work we must....that is a fact! We look forward to new adventures daily....enlighten me, please... I look forward to your input into our future...and appreciate your efforts.
Sue Mac

Last edited by suemac; 03-21-2007 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 06:33 PM

66 posts, read 313,121 times
Suemac- We love Key West and cannot aford to live there, also. At least you had your years there. We looked and looked and looked all around the state for something we could afford near some water. We remodeled an old house in Port St. Joe, but PSJ is kind of like central Alabama with water. We now have a house in Beacon Hill, next to Mexico Beach, east of Panama City. The winter's a bit cooler than the Keys and it sure is more pines than mangroves, but we love it. We're in an old beach community and Mexico Beach is growing, adding new condos (short ones, thank goodness). There are about three or four new resturants along Hwy 98. St. Joe land is building new housing near here, which should increase the bar, etc. flow. Fishing is great, the people are wonderful, the housing is fairly reasonable, and the beaches are clean and not crowded.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:58 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
How about the old charming Southern cities like Savannah, Charleston or Galveston? They seem to have a lot in common with Key West, albeit with cooler weather and with large swaths of poverty outside of the central downtown area. The Gulf Coast, from North Florida to New Orleans, has a pretty low cost of living as well, but it doesn't seem to have many individual towns and cities along the coast that have the same quirky vitality to it that Key West does minus New Orleans.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 8,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcorbin View Post
Suemac- We love Key West and cannot aford to live there, also. At least you had your years there. We looked and looked and looked all around the state for something we could afford near some water. We remodeled an old house in Port St. Joe, but PSJ is kind of like central Alabama with water. We now have a house in Beacon Hill, next to Mexico Beach, east of Panama City. The winter's a bit cooler than the Keys and it sure is more pines than mangroves, but we love it. We're in an old beach community and Mexico Beach is growing, adding new condos (short ones, thank goodness). There are about three or four new resturants along Hwy 98. St. Joe land is building new housing near here, which should increase the bar, etc. flow. Fishing is great, the people are wonderful, the housing is fairly reasonable, and the beaches are clean and not crowded.
Thank you for your input! I need to rethink my drink so to speak & search out new venues....I appreciate your thoughts.
suemac

Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
try south padre island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.