Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 AM

54 posts, read 244,575 times

Advertisements

big cities have some good advantages: easy public transportation, more job opportunities, usually better education (university level), better medical services, and easiness for strangers to be a part of the society.

if we have Boston, Dallas, NY city, Philadelphia, los angeles, san fran., and chicago. which would be the winner? I think safety, affordability, cleanliness, and weather should be the criteria for selection and ranking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times
I know nothing of Dallas, but for affordability Philly and Chicago beat the other places mentioned hands down, however, I can't say much for the weather in either place. New York is probably one of the safest of the bunch.

Most big cities have a lot of transplants so it is fairly easy to get to 'get in with the people' if an effort is made. However, usually that effort has to be made by joining something, either a sports team, a social group, etc. It isn't going to just happen on the street like it might in smaller towns.

I've visited NYC several times and Boston a few times as well and think both are great cities (expensive though, thankfully I know people in both cities so I don't have to pay for lodging). In NYC my experience is that people were more laid back, friendly, and easier to talk with when I got off of Manhattan island and spent time in Brooklyn and Queens.

The only city I've been to on the west-coast is Seattle, so I'm no help there.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:06 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
Chicago would be my pick.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:42 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,106 times
Let's give it a point system, where the city with the lowest score "wins". In my opinion, I would rank the cities as follows.

Safety

1. New York
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4. Dallas
5. Los Angeles
6. Chicago
7. Philadelphia (I happened to see a chart of the 2006 murder rates and know for a fact that the city has the highest murder rate of all those listed)

Affordability

1. Dallas
2. Philadelphia
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. Los Angeles
6. New York
7. San Francisco

Cleanliness

1. Dallas (the only city I'd really call "clean" on the list)
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. San Francisco
6. New York
7. Philadelphia

Weather

1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. Dallas
4. Philadelphia
5. New York
6. Boston
7. Chicago

So that means that overall, the score would be:

Philadelphia - 20
Chicago - 19
New York - 18
San Francisco - 17
Los Angeles - 15
Boston - 14

And the winner is DALLAS with nine!

Ironically, of all the cities listed, for me personally, Dallas would be my last choice. My first choice would be either New York or San Francisco.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:09 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Let's give it a point system, where the city with the lowest score "wins". In my opinion, I would rank the cities as follows.

Safety

1. New York
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4. Dallas
5. Los Angeles
6. Chicago
7. Philadelphia (I happened to see a chart of the 2006 murder rates and know for a fact that the city has the highest murder rate of all those listed)

Affordability

1. Dallas
2. Philadelphia
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. Los Angeles
6. New York
7. San Francisco

Cleanliness

2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. San Francisco
6. New York
7. Philadelphia

Weather

1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. Dallas
4. Philadelphia
5. New York
6. Boston
7. Chicago

Philadelphia - 20
Chicago - 19
New York - 18
San Francisco - 17
Los Angeles - 15
Boston - 14

Ironically, of all the cities listed, for me personally, Dallas would be my last choice. My first choice would be either New York or San Francisco.
I completely agree with all of the rankings. But I wouldn't want to live in any of those areas. They're either too dirty, too hot, too cold, or too expensive. Personally, they're very important considerations for me. But if I had to pick one of those, I'd pick Dallas. My only problem with them would be the oppressive summer heat. Great post!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I completely agree with all of the rankings. But I wouldn't want to live in any of those areas. They're either too dirty, too hot, too cold, or too expensive. Personally, they're very important considerations for me. But if I had to pick one of those, I'd pick Dallas. My only problem with them would be the oppressive summer heat. Great post!
Too hot? Just curious, besides Dallas of course, which of those cities is "hot"? LOL Most of the time up here in summer our streets are clogged with AZ plates, FL plates, etc from people coming up here to escape the heat. LOL

Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:

Safety

1. New York
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4. Dallas
5. Los Angeles
6. Chicago

Affordability

1. Dallas
2. Philadelphia
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. Los Angeles
6. New York
7. San Francisco

Cleanliness

2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. San Francisco
6. New York
7. Philadelphia

Weather

1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. Dallas
4. Philadelphia
5. New York
6. Boston
7. Chicago

Philadelphia - 20
Chicago - 19
New York - 18
San Francisco - 17
Los Angeles - 15
Boston - 14

You hit the affordibility on the head, but the rest of the list Id have to argue against. I doubt Chicago is more dangerous than LA or Dallas. Cleanliness? Dallas seemed filthier to me than Chicago ever did. I remember sitting in traffic along one of the highways and talking to my friend about just how filthy it was (also graffitti'd up). Chicago has its nasty areas, but on a whole seems MUCH cleaner than Dallas, especially in the downtown areas. And LA is far dirtier than Philly from what Ive seen. Philly, NYC, Boston and Chicago all have similar climates. Just curious as to why you picked Chicago last? In fact I think we get less snow and rain than those cities and less humidity on average.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:08 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
Quote:

Safety

1. New York
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4. Dallas
5. Los Angeles
6. Chicago

Affordability

1. Dallas
2. Philadelphia
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. Los Angeles
6. New York
7. San Francisco

Cleanliness

2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. San Francisco
6. New York
7. Philadelphia

Weather

1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. Dallas
4. Philadelphia
5. New York
6. Boston
7. Chicago

Philadelphia - 20
Chicago - 19
New York - 18
San Francisco - 17
Los Angeles - 15
Boston - 14

I live in Dallas and for 4 straight years it has led the nation in crime.
Weather? I'd put it at the bottom of the list unless you enjoy 30 straight days of 100+ degree weather. This city is just a few droughts away from being a desert.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:06 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaa1982 View Post
big cities have some good advantages: easy public transportation, more job opportunities, usually better education (university level), better medical services, and easiness for strangers to be a part of the society.

if we have Boston, Dallas, NY city, Philadelphia, los angeles, san fran., and chicago. which would be the winner? I think safety, affordability, cleanliness, and weather should be the criteria for selection and ranking.
Well definitely take Boston off your list. I lived there for 34 years. It is not safe, it sure is not clean, forget the weather most days are miserable, it is sure not cheap if you are a real resident. Tourist see Boston totally different than it really is.

I would pick Dallas or San Fran.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,112,694 times
If money were no object I'd keep a small apt. in both NY and San Fransisco(and a cabin in the mtns in NM in between).

Chicago is growing on me though(currently living in the Midwest).

Dallas...ick. Too hot. Too new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.