Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:40 PM

15 posts, read 118,941 times

Advertisements

I am getting such a kick out of reading posts from all the states. Have you noticed how people can't wait to leave one state and move to another, while the next person wants to move to their state and leave the one the others want to move too???? Everyone sounds so excited about moving somewhere else. It is the old "the grass is greener in another state" mentality. I guess the newness of another state and the refreshing change is a big part of it. I just hope people realize that the next state will have its problems too and they will end up not liking things about their new home. There is no such thing as the "perfect state to live in," yet people are kind of hoping that it really does exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
Some don't move just in search of greener pastures, jobs, weather, family, more favorable economy, lots of reasons for a new move, but yea some may think it's going to be better in the new place & sometimes it is.

It's a big country so why stay put in just one place, some states are flatter than a pancake with absolutely nothing to do but watch bugs crawl around & grass grow who wants that, there are greener pastures out there mayby not to all but most yea, what one doesn't like the other will.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
There is an awful lot of people moving from Northern areas to Florida because they are so cold. A lot of times, they don't really realize how hot it can get down there, especially south of Tampa. It's sub-tropical, and most don't realize what that entails, or visited when they were on vacation and spent a lot of time in a pool, but not actually working.

Conversely, we have our friend that has never lived anywhere but West Palm Beach. He thinks it's going to be fairly temperate in Pennsylvania. He's going to freeze his butt off!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:27 PM

661 posts, read 2,897,034 times
I dunno. I don't see people beating feet to get to CT, where we moved from. Some states are newly trendy (NC), and some have been a "hot spot" for a long time (FL). Everyone's looking for Mayberry and it's kind of sad.

As to NAH, he may have some surprises in the winter, but I think he's starting to understand that PA does have its heat waves. The house we had there had central air and it got used plenty in the summer. I think his understanding northern winter would be like me trying to understand FL heat. It's hard to realize how miserable an extreme temperature can be until you've lived with it.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:58 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
The metaphor is funny indeed, especially when you consider how many people are moving right now to Phoenix and Vegas, where the grass literally is NOT greener.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
If you're in Michigan and you need a job, just about any state seems better, but the hottest ones based on what I've been reading on this forum seem to be North Carolina and Texas, perhaps with some Wyoming, Tennessee, and Florida thrown in.

But, yeah OP, I have noticed the irony of people complaining that they can find good jobs in State X so they're moving to State Y while people in State Y say they can't find good jobs in State Y and are thus planning to move to State x.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:46 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There is an awful lot of people moving from Northern areas to Florida because they are so cold. A lot of times, they don't really realize how hot it can get down there, especially south of Tampa. It's sub-tropical, and most don't realize what that entails, or visited when they were on vacation and spent a lot of time in a pool, but not actually working.
I understand, it's different when you have to work...

However I work outdoors a lot and I've done construction work at 98 F and 55% humidity with no shade and I was fine in a t-shirt, jeans, work gloves and work boots.

I've also done light outdoor work also with no shade at 97 F and 35% humidity, wearing a t-shirt, jeans, long sleeve coveralls, work gloves, work boots. The only skin I had exposed to any breezes was my face and neck. Still I was fine.

I have no idea what kind of humidex those humidity %'s would make at those temps. Normally in that heat I wear shorts, a t-shirt and sandals.

I'm thinking if I can handle that then working in the south outdoors in summer will be no big deal to me.
Besides, I'd rather it be in the high 90's than the high 30's for doing outdoor work anyways.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:51 AM

131 posts, read 492,822 times
The this is though that people are different from one another. Sometimes people do "click" with their new environment.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
However I work outdoors a lot and I've done construction work at 98 F and 55% humidity with no shade and I was fine in a t-shirt, jeans, work gloves and work boots... I have no idea what kind of humidex those humidity %'s would make at those temps.
Here is a chart that helps to determine how different temperatures combined with humidity affect the body:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wheat3.htm

Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Agree with the OP! I think many people are just trading one set of problems for another when they pack up and move.

That having been said, my DH and I did just that in coming to Colorado. I wouldn't say it was different for us (therefore OK), just that we did not drag any kids into it and had enough savings to live on till we found jobs. As DH was just finishing grad school, we had to live somewhere while he job hunted. We were prepared to leave if he didn't find a job here in a reasonable length of time. (Don't ask me what reasonable is; it took 3 months so we didn't have to deal with that piece.)

I guess I would say, if you are leaving to get away from personal problems, it probably won't work out. You will just bring those problems with you. If you are going somewhere for some elusive "better quality of life" and don't have a job, it might not work out. If you're prepared to work hard to make a new life in the new place, it probably will work. Maybe a bit Pollyannish, but it's my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.