Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:00 PM

436 posts, read 681,940 times

Advertisements

A retired college engineering professor (from a large state university) who volunteers at the same non-profit as I, has opined she believes that college degrees aren't worth what they used to be worth just fifteen/twenty years ago, and that too many students with undergraduate degrees are unprepared to enter their chosen fields.
I can't speak to that, but I am bothered by something altogether different involving several colleges (is it more widespread?) - the recent scandals that trusted college officials used their positions to line their pockets. Do you think officials found guilty of steering loans to personally profit from it should see incarceration time along with monetary loss and forced early retirement?

Maybe David Chase (Sopranos creator) could create a new blockbuster HBO pilot revolving around animal house parties, drugs, sex, binge drinking, high-tech exam cheats, parent to teacher payoffs, high cost college SAT prep camps, parents who push their kids for their own self-aggrandizement, corrupt school administrative officials padding their retirement kitties, and sordid faculty misdeeds - on second thought.. no way, to reality based.

Last edited by brian_2; 04-10-2007 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Which college scandals are you referring to?

Many people share the opinion that academically, college doesn't help you in in a real job. I disagree, and just think that's indicative of how many people don't figure out what they want to be in college.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I also read about the college loan scandal. I think those who participated should lose their jobs, and the universities they work for should be fined.

I didn't learn how to do my job in college, but I did learn strong writing and problem solving skills.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I didn't hear about the college loan scandal. I think anyone who is suspected of breaking the law should be prosecuted.

I think a college degree is well worth the money, time, and effort spent on it. You learn skills that are transferrable to many jobs. People change carreers many times over a lifetime of working, why "train" them to do something specific that may be obsolete in a few years?

Old 04-10-2007, 07:47 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
brian, looks like you're headed down two tracks with this thread. I'll address the second one. From what I've heard, many of the college officials involved haven't technically broken the law. It's a question of ethics. What they've done is steer students/familiies to certain lenders in return for all kinds of trips, perks, gifts, etc. But just because it's not illegal doesn't make it not despicable.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 AM

606 posts, read 699,307 times
scandals spread all over the place,colleges cannot be avoided.

by the way,i'm a college student major in engineering,ahh.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 AM

250 posts, read 933,084 times
Whoa! What do you mean college doesn't teach you job skills???? I am a Nursing student and I couldn't get a nursing job without a college degree! I learn everything I need to know from my college courses. Then I will have clinicals to help enhance these learned skills. My degree is very valuable! It is definately money well spent (and it beats working as a waitress as I have for the last 12 years) because in the area that I live in, you don't get a good job unless you have a degree.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:00 AM

606 posts, read 699,307 times
it's very very difficult to find a job without a college degree.
College degree can help you a lot but can't guarantee anything.

JenM,where are you living? Michigan? How's the employment there?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Whoa! What do you mean college doesn't teach you job skills???? I am a Nursing student and I couldn't get a nursing job without a college degree! I learn everything I need to know from my college courses. Then I will have clinicals to help enhance these learned skills. My degree is very valuable! It is definately money well spent (and it beats working as a waitress as I have for the last 12 years) because in the area that I live in, you don't get a good job unless you have a degree.
Actually, you'll need to pass the N-CLEX and get your license to be able to work as a registered nurse - not the degree. Graduation from a post-secondary institution of higher learning permits you to apply for the licensing exam. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:45 PM

24 posts, read 133,728 times
Yes, here in California I hear about increasing tuitions for students, then I hear about salary raises for the college trustees. Something just doesn't add up. Factor that in with the exorbitant amount of money students spend on textbooks (which are updated with new versions often), and it's sad that the price of a college degree is putting many students in debt.

I think the two years it takes to finish the General Education requirement is somewhat of a waste. I know it's important that we have well-rounded students, but honestly I do not remember much from all the General Ed classes I took. I don't apply that knowledge to my daily life either, so I think those classes could be limited.

I think more emphasis should be placed on writing and computer classes, despite a student's major. Requiring internship is a good idea also, since learning about something via a textbook and actually doing it could be totally different experiences. Plus, when a student graduates, he or she will have obtained some work experience already through those internships. Nowadays I think you can't just get a Bachelor's and expect jobs to come your way easily, especially if your major was broad and not career-specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.