Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 10:57 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,838 times

Advertisements

Notice how i Emphasized (Deciduous) Forest, I know there's Still Undisturbed Coniferous Forest left Somewhere but there most likely in colder Remote Climates but as for Temperate Broadleaf Deciduous Forest...I don't know.
I always wondered if there's anywhere left like that. Where there's still old-growth Deciduous Forest and very Little is Disturbed by People and Industrialization. If anyone knows where i can find this peaceful serene Awesome place let me know please...lol It would be great to visit and Explore such an amazing place.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 11:32 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default Old Growth Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
Notice how i Emphasized (Deciduous) Forest, I know there's Still Undisturbed Coniferous Forest left Somewhere but there most likely in colder Remote Climates but as for Temperate Broadleaf Deciduous Forest...I don't know.
I always wondered if there's anywhere left like that. Where there's still old-growth Deciduous Forest and very Little is Disturbed by People and Industrialization. If anyone knows where i can find this peaceful serene Awesome place let me know please...lol It would be great to visit and Explore such an amazing place.

Thanks guys
There are of course small parcels here and there in the mountains, especially in the wild Adirondacks --- usually in hard to get places like steep slopes and valleys. Massachusetts did a survey a few years ago and they came up with a suprising number of small old growth parcels. You can even find some in New York City! About 40 acres of old growth in the New York Botanical Gardens in The Bronx Park!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:02 AM

322 posts, read 1,103,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
There are of course small parcels here and there in the mountains, especially in the wild Adirondacks --- usually in hard to get places like steep slopes and valleys. Massachusetts did a survey a few years ago and they came up with a suprising number of small old growth parcels. You can even find some in New York City! About 40 acres of old growth in the New York Botanical Gardens in The Bronx Park!
Wow!! that's surprising... New York City has Old Growth Forest!
That's pretty Shocking! lol...

Old 06-01-2009, 05:07 AM

139 posts, read 470,647 times
In parts of western North Carolina there are still large portions of virgin forest that have seen very little or no human contact. Parts of the Joyce Kilmer slickrock wilderness are as remote as it gets in the eastern U.S.

The same goes for a lot of spots in extreme western NC, the sparsely populated counties of Swain, Cherokee, Clay, Graham and portions of Jackson and Macon counties. These counties average only 20-50 people per square mile.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:54 AM

518 posts, read 2,532,240 times
northern pennsylvania has areas like this. Forest County comes to mind

Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Old Growth Forests of Pennsylvania

Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Most people would be surprised to know that about 25% of the Bronx is wooded or parkland. There is the 40 acre 'Native Forest' in the Botanical gardens of course as well as the wood in Van Cortland Park which is much larger and, although not old growth, has been (relatively) undisturbed long enough to reach maturity (like many forests in the Northeast).

Also, whenever you are in a hilly/mountainous area, just look for the steepest, rockiest ravines and chances are you are looking at fragments of old growth. It simply wasn't economical (or easy) to log those areas.

According to this article: http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/sep2...-09-08-092.asp

"Scientists estimate that close to 350,000 acres of old-growth forests remain in the state of New York."

That is based on a criteria that requires any given area of old-growth to be at least 10 acres in size. There are many other smaller parcels (like those ravines I mentioned above).

Also, the definition of old-growth is fuzzy. Some will claim that "90% of the Adirondack forest was logged between 1890 and 1920." This does not mean that 90% of the forest was cut down, In fact, it means that 90% of the Adirondacks was culled of the 'desirable species', Balsam fir. Most of the forest was left standing despite period photographs of denuded hillsides. Yet, areas that had 5% of their standing stock removeed are not classified as old-growth despite the fact that they are climax forests of native species that lost a small percentage of their balsam fir population 100 years ago.

ABQConvict

Last edited by ABQConvict; 06-01-2009 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 03:45 PM

26,425 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Yes, NH has wilderness areas.

The big one is the Pemigewasset Wilderness north of Lincoln, NH- which is part of the White Mountain National Forest.

The wilderness area has old growth forest, scrub forest and higher elevations, and granite cliffs. The climate can be extreme with the possibility of snow nearly every month of the calendar year.

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?...276878&zoom=12

Use the navigation map tools to see the various wilderness zones.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:18 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Some of the most remote areas of deciduous forest in the US can be found in the Appalachians of Eastern Kentucky... as long as they're not laying over a large coal deposit, that is.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:07 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
I have to agree regarding the western NC counties. It does get very, very remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.