Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 PM

55 posts, read 133,103 times

Advertisements

My husband and I looking for a region in the USA to move to where we can be happy, healthy, comfortable, and safe. We are quiet, non-smoking creative organic vegetarians who enjoy and prefer a region with high standards of quality of life. We appreciate all helpful information. Thank you. The following is a brief list of important criteria we're doing our best to follow to help us determine where to relocate to.

• North of the Mason Dixon Line, will strongly consider Canada or regions near Canada
  • Strong noise and boomcar ordinances that are not tolerated, are strictly enforced with stiff fines
  • Strong anti-smoking laws
  • Peaceful and quiet
  • Large vegetarian population with at least 2 or 3 vegetarian restaurants (100% vegetarian menu with zero meat on the menu)
  • Few, if any nuclear reactors
  • 50% or more of the population is 35+, very few residents under the age of 35
  • Very green-minded, respectful of environmental concerns and very environmentally aware
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
Does it have to be the northeast? Because Seattle and Portland are vegetarian / green living hubs, and both have quieter suburbs.

If you want something smaller or in the northeast, the state of Vermont in general may be a good choice (except for the college towns). Maybe upstate NY.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:11 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Why the over-35 clause? I'm not trying to convince you to change it, but figure that you might be using it as an indicator of something else, such as a way of saying prefer non-college towns? Or maybe it's as simple as equating those under 35 with noisy? I guess I just found it a bit confusing, and wonder if perhaps others were, too. Are you looking for retirement-type communities, or is upper age not an issue? (although the only official 55+ communities I can think don't meet the vegetarian thing, so that may be a moot point) Another issue would be jobs - if you're retired or else can work (or not work) from anywhere, otherwise some of the areas that meet your requirements may not have much in the way of job opportunities. If you can afford it, though, and/or can find jobs, parts of northern CA could be a good fit.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
Ithaca, NY is a college town but not really noisy except at the few Ithaca College hangout spots. Cornell students are too busy studying. No fan riots, girls urinating in the bushes, kind of stuff happens there. Well maybe at I.C. but its suburban campus is pretty well self contained.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:13 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Minneapolis

Old 06-17-2009, 07:48 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
If there are plenty of vegetarian options, why would you care if a couple meat products were on the menu? Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 06-17-2009 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: personal/off-topic

Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
I'm a non smoker and I simply avoid going into areas or establishments where I will find smokers. You can always cook at home (I like organic products myself) if you can't find eating establishments that you desire in your new area.

I used to have an age hang up and I would try to avoid younger people as well. Turns out I was avoiding the wrong age bracket. After living in the Kansas City area I've determined the people under the age of 35 and those in their 20's are definitely the lesser of two evils. I am confident that if you have to live or work with some younger people that you will find some of them to be civil and even quite palatable.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Does it have to be the northeast? Because Seattle and Portland are vegetarian / green living hubs, and both have quieter suburbs.

If you want something smaller or in the northeast, the state of Vermont in general may be a good choice (except for the college towns). Maybe upstate NY.
Yeah, I was going to say somewhere out in Oregon or Washington away from the large cities.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:31 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
If there are plenty of vegetarian options, why would you care if a couple meat products were on the menu? Moderator cut: see comment
Because then it wouldn't be a vegetarian restaurant. And a dedicated vegetarian restaurant probably has a better selection and is more experienced catering to the group of alternative eaters in general.

Last edited by Bo; 06-17-2009 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 06-17-2009, 01:36 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwriter View Post
My husband and I looking for a region in the USA to move to where we can be happy, healthy, comfortable, and safe. We are quiet, non-smoking creative organic vegetarians who enjoy and prefer a region with high standards of quality of life. We appreciate all helpful information. Thank you. The following is a brief list of important criteria we're doing our best to follow to help us determine where to relocate to.

• North of the Mason Dixon Line, will strongly consider Canada or regions near Canada
  • Strong noise and boomcar ordinances that are not tolerated, are strictly enforced with stiff fines
  • Strong anti-smoking laws
  • Peaceful and quiet
  • Large vegetarian population with at least 2 or 3 vegetarian restaurants (100% vegetarian menu with zero meat on the menu)
  • Few, if any nuclear reactors
  • 50% or more of the population is 35+, very few residents under the age of 35
  • Very green-minded, respectful of environmental concerns and very environmentally aware
Just join any hippie commune for active seniors in Canada - problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.