Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 12:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this lately, and I couldn't help to wonder what other people might think. After all it will be next decade in a matter of months. You could say the term "city of the decade" might be more geared towards pop culture. Or you can ignore pop culture and consider your own choices for all of these decades. There is no right or wrong. These choices are formed from opinion as well as assumptions..

I think New York was most definately the city of this decade. My reasons are the vast reduction of crime. How visitor friendly NY has become, and
9/11.

I thought Seattle was probably the city of the nineties. With the whole Grunge Movement. Also many movies were filmed there that decade. As a whole that decade, Seattle really had a strong influence on America pop culture.

I would probably vote NY for the eighties. A lot of movies were made that decade in NY. Also many great artists from that decde came from NY.

NOW..MY choice (and I understand that next decade hasn't even started yet, but my pick for next decades, "city of the decade", will go to.....
.............................Chicago.............. .......................................

MY reasons (now grant you, these are all intuitive reasons) is that Chicago has been strongly overlooked by the two bigs on the coast. Food in Chicago is starting to get recognized. The job situation isn't as bad as many other very large cities. I think that they will vastly improve their skyline. Not that it's bad now. I think that many artists, both actors and musicians are going to come from Chicago next decade. As well as some very good comedians. Chicago is still a great place for comedians to make their mark....

So anyway, that's my pick....What's yours and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.