Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,645 times

Advertisements

boston's on the list as well

Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoy1 View Post
Many friends that have lived in NYC have told me that NYC is a terrible place to raise children

Maybe Westchester is good for kids but not NYC.

You should venture out to other parts of the country outside of NY before passing judgement on whether they are good places to raise kids.

Most suburbs of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, San Antonio and many other places across America are wonderful places for kids to grow up
LOL you're young and you have friends who have grown up in NYC....I find that quite interesting. Don't think I believe that one.

I'd much rather grow up in NYC than those areas you mentioned. What you fail to realize is that I don't mean Manhattan; I meant the outer-boroughs. They're way more family friendly. We had parks where I lived in Queens, a small backyard, and neighbors in the other houses who we talked to very often. But I was still down the block from tons of stores. The schools in Queens are generally much better too.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoy1 View Post
Most suburbs of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, San Antonio and many other places across America are wonderful places for kids to grow up

What? I have 2 girls both under 3 and I am hysterical now to get them out of Dallas, we were only supposed to be here a year. I do not want them raised here, and it's not a great place for kids. They can't even go out and play in this intense heat, when it does cool off in the winter which is 80 degrees they get attacked by fire ants. There is no nature here, there is NOTHING for kids here except to eat. the schools are not good at all, I am tired of Texans defending these horrible schools down here, but then most went to school here so thats expected. I also don't want them to get the drawl. It's bad enough the poor things had to be born here, I refuse to raise them here.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:42 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
What? I have 2 girls both under 3 and I am hysterical now to get them out of Dallas, we were only supposed to be here a year. I do not want them raised here, and it's not a great place for kids. They can't even go out and play in this intense heat, when it does cool off in the winter which is 80 degrees they get attacked by fire ants. There is no nature here, there is NOTHING for kids here except to eat. the schools are not good at all, I am tired of Texans defending these horrible schools down here, but then most went to school here so thats expected. I also don't want them to get the drawl. It's bad enough the poor things had to be born here, I refuse to raise them here.

Exactly...that guy is no older than 20, so he hasn't experienced raising a family in different areas. They're getting on my mom's case because 10 years ago my dad turned down an offer to transfer to Texas. They turned down the offer for the reasons you mentioned, since they had heard from friends about how bad it is to raise kids there.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 AM

505 posts, read 1,385,764 times
Quote:
That is your opinion, but I am sure that some people think that Texas is a great place to raise a family. It all depends on what you like. If Texas is such a wasteland, then why are people moving there? Why do people continue to live there? Sure, its cheaper than other places, but there has to be something more.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
I suspect I am a little older than the last few posters, and am currently raising three little ones in a wonderful suburb city of Houston. In fact, it was ranked #3 best city to live a few years ago. But of course, the list must be incorrect since it has a Texas city on it, right?

"Experience" keeps being mentioned. I've lived in more cities in Texas than the posters who are taking swipes at Texas in the previous replies. But as usual on here, my experience will mean nothing compared to some peoples' uneducated opinions, because they are always right and are somehow more enlightened than the rest of us. Many of the "but this person said" excuses will be made. Whatever, take it for what it is.

Cupcake, Texas is a huge place and I don't know where in Dallas you are. Schools differ greatly by school district, and even by individual schools within the district; some are great and some are not so great. This is simply common sense, is it not? I think it is obvious from some of your other posts you have a chip on your shoulder and came to Texas with poor expectations; when you shut yourself in a boxed viewpoint like that, you tend to only see what you expected. Not saying you may not be living in a less desirable area with less desirable schools (compared to many others in Texas), but to generalize that to all of Texas is misleading.

Last edited by AK123; 08-24-2009 at 11:36 AM..

Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
That is your opinion, but I am sure that some people think that Texas is a great place to raise a family. It all depends on what you like. If Texas is such a wasteland, then why are people moving there? Why do people continue to live there? Sure, its cheaper than other places, but there has to be something more.
Thank you, dem.

You are correct. Texas has 3 of the top 10 largest cities in the country after all.

It can be the cheapest place in the world, but that is not enough to keep people. Especially the highly-educated workforce in Houston, Austin and Dallas. If it was so terrible, vast numbers would have obtained job transfers outside of the state and moved their families. Instead, people just keep coming.

Regarding the schools topic again -- the large cities are full of white-collar professionals. Houston has the largest medical district in the world, NASA and the energy industry; there is no shortage of physicians, researchers, professors, rocket scientists and engineers. Austin has the state capital and lots of high-tech. Do people actually think workers in these kinds of professions would put up with crummy schools for their children? Texas also has a very high immigrant population. Do people not think the particular schools that have higher populations of children of immigrants would bring down the stats for the other more high-performing schools when looking at the state as a whole?

I'm not saying there's no room for improvement. But I just don't get why some people seem to have this strange agenda against Texas.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Exactly...that guy is no older than 20, so he hasn't experienced raising a family in different areas. They're getting on my mom's case because 10 years ago my dad turned down an offer to transfer to Texas. They turned down the offer for the reasons you mentioned, since they had heard from friends about how bad it is to raise kids there.
It's bad to raise kids here? Since when? I played outside all the time and I grew up just fine. You either deal with the heat or you stay inside with AC and live your life miserably.

Your really can't deem a place as not family-friendly due to weather. Texas is a great place to raise a family whether you disagree or not.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's bad to raise kids here? Since when? I played outside all the time and I grew up just fine. You either deal with the heat or you stay inside with AC and live your life miserably.
That's a great way to live, stay out in the 110 degree humid heat trying to ride a bike, take a walk, play soccer etc.. or stay inside with the AC. What a special way to spend the days, time just flies by down here.

There is a reason the obesity rate is so high in Texas. People don't want to go out! Lets not ignore the horrible food choices most Texans make.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84

That's a great way to live, stay out in the 110 degree humid heat trying to ride a bike, take a walk, play soccer etc.. or stay inside with the AC. What a special way to spend the days, time just flies by down here.

There is a reason the obesity rate is so high in Texas. People don't want to go out! Lets not ignore the horrible food choices most Texans make.
It's not my problem if your annoyed the heat. I'm not obese and I don't sit around all day. I actually go out and enjoy this wonderful humid weather. It doesn't stop me from enjoying my days or doing my daily activities.

Mostly likely if the weather is that high; the humidity is lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.