Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:06 PM

746 posts, read 866,506 times

Advertisements

All the requirements are important!
Best chances of finding love that lasts!
You can live without a car. (Walkable and transit available)
There are many good jobs available!
There is good college (I might have to wait a year to qualify for in state tuition if I leave my state which is Texas)

Also good psychiatrists/psychologists in the city cause I need that. I have OCD, ADD, and more recently depression but its inconsistent and not too severe. I've only considered suicide twice in my life and I had a long major depression stage last summer. Lets just say someone gave me hope in life. But I had depression problems again still. But it still comes around sometimes, just way less time and usually way less severe.

I want a new start and would like a move to start a good life for me. To be honest I am kind of scared moving by myself out of fear of evading up completely friendless and remaining single. I don't want to be a loner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:12 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
This belongs in City vs. City or one of the U.S. forums.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Some of those (public trans, quality health care facilities, good universities), you'll be able to find in a large number of cities.

Other things, like finding love, and finding a good job, are going to be subject to many other variables, not the least of which is you and your actions and attitudes.

New starts are good, done it a few times, myself. It can be lonely, but only if you let it be...it's up to you.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
How will you pay for all this? What kind of work will you need?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
There is good college (I might have to wait a year to qualify for in state tuition if I leave my state which is Texas)

Also good psychiatrists/psychologists in the city cause I need that. I have OCD, ADD, and more recently depression but its inconsistent and not too severe. I've only considered suicide twice in my life and I had a long major depression stage last summer. Lets just say someone gave me hope in life. But I had depression problems again still. But it still comes around sometimes, just way less time and usually way less severe.

I want a new start and would like a move to start a good life for me. To be honest I am kind of scared moving by myself out of fear of evading up completely friendless and remaining single. I don't want to be a loner!
The easiest of these to tackle is #2, places you can live without a car. There are very, very few such places in the US. basically New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco...that may be it.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
How will you pay for all this? What kind of work will you need?
Something that will pay more than miminum wage without a degree, because I need money and if I go out a state I have to wait a year to qualify for in state tuition, out of state is freaking 3-4 times more! I've been hearing in 2020 you will no longer be able to make more than mimiuk wage unless you have a college degree. I was looking forward to the wonderful experience of 4 year college, making life long friends, dating girls, all of this with the ease of fitting in somewhere. But I can kiss that goodbye now. I might be a transfer student, everyone stops being super social after the first year or two I here. I don't know how to build a social life on my own. Of course I don't know what the world is really like beyond my trashy small town. I thought shall towns were supposed to have nice people who treated everyone like family. My whole life I've had very few friends that were my age. Most of them were a year younger or a year older, I guess that's ok though. My best friend for 6 years was almost 2 years younger than me. He turned into one of the rude people when he entered high school!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The easiest of these to tackle is #2, places you can live without a car. There are very, very few such places in the US. basically New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco...that may be it.
No California (cause its on a fault line which means frequent earthquakes) and no New York, I've been informed they have the rudest people in America, and it sounds like the government is way too strict there, banning a certain size of coke? Communist like power!

Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post

I think a new place to live is fine, but not something you should do in the immediate future given what appears to be some serious psychiatric fragility. Moving just by itself is one of the most stressful things in life, not far behind losing a spouse and being fired. And moving to a big city with neither a job nor a college education will be more stressful still becuase you won't have the skills or money to really enjoy a new life. And you're right that loneliness in a new place --which is inevitable at first -- can throw even the most well-adjusted person way off base.

You ask for mental health professionals, but they are very expensive in the big cities. Do you have insurance? (And even then some practitioners won't accept any insurance.) If you are on medication, how will you pay for it and who will monitor it? Good psycho-pharmacologists are probably even more expensive than good therapists.

I'm really and truly happy that you have found someone or something that has lifted your depression and given you some hope. But my gut tells me you need to strengthen whatever regimen has allowed you to feel better, and get some skills, education, or money before making a major move.

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I think a new place to live is fine, but not something you should do in the immediate future given what appears to be some serious psychiatric fragility. Moving just by itself is one of the most stressful things in life, not far behind losing a spouse and being fired. And moving to a big city with neither a job nor a college education will be more stressful still becuase you won't have the skills or money to really enjoy a new life. And you're right that loneliness in a new place --which is inevitable at first -- can throw even the most well-adjusted person way off base.

You ask for mental health professionals, but they are very expensive in the big cities. Do you have insurance? (And even then some practitioners won't accept any insurance.) If you are on medication, how will you pay for it and who will monitor it? Good psycho-pharmacologists are probably even more expensive than good therapists.

I'm really and truly happy that you have found someone or something that has lifted your depression and given you some hope. But my gut tells me you need to strengthen whatever regimen has allowed you to feel better, and get some skills, education, or money before making a major move.

Best of luck to you.
I really can't stay at home too much longer. I have a friend in another state who said aged maybe want to move to where I do then we can be friends in person and we won't end up friendless after moving. But she is still 16 and fears she will be unsuccessful like I have feared about me.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:37 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
PLEASE dont opne yourself up to the troubles that could ensue moving to a strange city with no jobno money, and a sixteen yeaer female friend. That really is just asking for trouble. Is there some relative you can live with if you have to leave home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.