Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:59 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,762 times

Advertisements

Fort Collins, Colorado, population 150,000, home to Colorado State University. Great football town, politically moderate, walkable core, 60 miles north of Denver, 45 miles south of Cheyenne, mild weather, close to outdoor activities, consistently named as one of the best small cities to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,879 times
Pittsburgh and Minneapolis seem like the best fits.

Madison seems good, but if any city falls into the "too liberal" category, this would be it.

Fort Collins also sounds good.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Ann Arbor. The economy is better than Lansing or anywhere else in Michigan. Very walkable. I don't need to tell you about the college football - M Go Blue.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I'm originally from Michigan, specifically the Lansing/East Lansing area, where I grew up and went to college. I like it there, and eventually plan (hopefully) on moving back someday. A few years ago, I moved to State College, PA for grad school, also a place that I like, although it seems a bit smallish at times. As my grad school career comes to a close, I'm looking for places I might like to go, although I'm aware that it might end up being where I get a job and I'll have little choice in the matter. Anyway, due to the economic situation in Michigan and the fact that I'm a relatively young, single guy who wants to explore the world while I still can, I don't know if moving back there would be what I'd want to do right now.

1. I've never really lived in a big city. I might like it, but sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed at all the traffic and hubbub. Likewise, I don't think I'd want to go to small (I'd say a metro area of 200,000 or higher) because otherwise it can be a bit confining. If I were to go to a larger-ish city (since that seems to be where most people relocate,) I'd want to be somewhere that feels laid-back enough that I can avoid the craziness of traffic and long commutes.

2. I like walking places. I don't want to go somewhere that I have to drive two blocks to go pick up bread - that's something that should be done on foot. That being said, I would assume that I'll have a car and I'd want to be able to conveniently go grocery shopping and things of that nature.

3. I like uniqueness. National chains don't appeal to me - I'd want to go somewhere that has plenty of local options and is willing to showcase them. I'm sure I'll go to the national chains sometimes, but I already know about them.

4. I'm a big college football fan. Nothing is better than spending Saturdays in the fall tailgating with 50,000+ of your closest friends, laying in front of the television, or heading to a sports bar. I'd like to be in an environment where that is encouraged, although I recognize that the teams I'd root for might be different. Maybe I could adopt another team. I also like college basketball, but I'm not so big on the pro sports.

5. I'd consider myself more laid-back. I'm probably not going to be participating in nightlife much, so I don't need a trendy scene or anything. I'd be more interested in somewhere that people can just hang out whenever.

6. I'd prefer a place that is generally moderate to slightly moderate-liberal politically - nothing too liberal, and nothing too conservative.

7. In terms of variables like weather, it's not that big of a deal to me. I've lived with snow all of my life, and while it gets old at times, that's what summer is for. I don't think I'd like somewhere that doesn't get any cooler weather in the winter (like highs below 55-65 degrees,) but I'm fairly flexible. I don't need a ton of sunshine - I'm satisfied with what I've received where I've lived, and that isn't much - but I'm not opposed to it either. I think I would prefer green to brown, though.

So, given those criteria - what cities would you recommend me checking out?
State College/University Park in Pennsylvania. Home of the Penn State Nittany Lions and Beaver Stadium....arguably the largest stadium in North America.(Michigan and PSU stadiums give changing numbers??)

Old 09-09-2009, 08:09 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,500 times
You might want to consider Tempe, AZ. There is college football at Arizona State University. If you live near the ASU campus or downtown Tempe, you can find many business establishments within walking distance of your home. If you choose to live in another part of town, there are plenty of buses and there is the light rail line that runs through downtown Tempe and across the ASU campus. Politics are moderate to liberal in Tempe; the U.S. House representative is former Tempe mayor Harry Mitchell (D - AZ) and the majority of the city council members as well as all three of the state legislators who represent Tempe are liberal and/or Democrats.

One additional college football feature that Tempe offers, but which is not found in most of the other cities mentioned in this thread, is a post-season college bowl game - the Insight Bowl, played on New Year's Eve at Sun Devil Stadium. After watching the Insight Bowl, you can walk a few blocks to the New Year's Eve block party on Mill Avenue in downtown Tempe.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Fort Collins, Colorado, population 150,000, home to Colorado State University. Great football town
A great college football town got even better after CSU defeated Colorado 23-17 in the season opener for both teams at Folsom Field in Boulder.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Ann Arbor. The economy is better than Lansing or anywhere else in Michigan. Very walkable. I don't need to tell you about the college football - M Go Blue.
My opinion about Ann Arbor - it's a nice enough town, and I wouldn't mind living there, but I really wouldn't consider it much of a change. If I move back to Michigan someday, I'm not restricting myself to the Lansing/East Lansing area, and Ann Arbor would be one of the top alternative spots. Even so, looking at my screenname, the probability of me ever saying "Go Blue" is approximately zero.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:01 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times
Thanks for the suggestions. As for the college football factor, I'm not restricting myself to towns with automatic-qualifying BCS conference teams or anything; I would just want a place where college football is part of the larger culture, at least a little bit. Some places are more so than others. I just think I would be bored if I couldn't meet anybody else who cared.

Interestingly enough, I have been to Fort Collins, and I thought it was a great place. I've liked Pittsburgh for the most part, especially due to its geography and landscape. I don't think I've been to the other suggested cities - thanks again.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
I would check out:
Boise, ID
Athens, GA
Eugene, OR

Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,104,323 times
College Station TX
Athens GA
Norman OK
Columbia MO
Lincoln NE
Tuscaloosa AL
Knoxville TN
Lexington KY
Corvallis OR

..... are all great choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.