Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:45 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
A lot of it has to do with pre-conceptions. Yes the main north east corridor cities of DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC & Boston are unique in the sense that their extremely dense urban jungles that developed and grew or around walkability and not the car.. But throw a dart on a map that isn’t one if there downtowns; baring inclement weather & scenery/geography it’s really not that different

Like the above poster said, this is more big city vs. small city debate
DC and Baltimore do not have the same fast-pace hustle and bustle feel that the major Northeast cities (NYC, Philly, and Boston) have. There is a palpable difference between the NE cities and the DMV. Of no fault of DC’s own, there are so many tourists in the core and you don’t feel that same pace. DC has much wider streets as well, and the “circles” like DuPont and weird designs make it feel slower paced. Baltimore just doesn’t have the density or foot traffic that the other cities have, making it feel much slower-paced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 03:11 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
DC and Baltimore do not have the same fast-pace hustle and bustle feel that the major Northeast cities (NYC, Philly, and Boston) have. There is a palpable difference between the NE cities and the DMV. Of no fault of DC’s own, there are so many tourists in the core and you don’t feel that same pace. DC has much wider streets as well, and the “circles” like DuPont and weird designs make it feel slower paced. Baltimore just doesn’t have the density or foot traffic that the other cities have, making it feel much slower-paced.
True. But it's definitely not as slow-paced as the cities to the south of it.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:48 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
I don't see how big northern cities are faster paced if there is more traffic and you are sitting still more often.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't see how big northern cities are faster paced if there is more traffic and you are sitting still more often.
LoL, now that's a good point.
People wrap around urban density vibe. More densed the more hustle & bustle i assume. At times I'm baffled at the thrill of having no elbow space & overcrowded.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:45 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I can definitely agree they feel relatively slower then Philly, NYC & Boston

Old 05-26-2019, 09:08 PM

513 posts, read 576,023 times
I think I understand what people mean when they say "slow;" a more relaxed pace of doing things, not running around quite as much or as fast, taking a little more time to do things and spend with people, etc. To me, those would be good attributes. However, some seem to take a more negative view of the word "slow" when talking about southerners; ie, slow thinking, accent strereotypes, slow to acquire skills, education, or technology, etc. While I suppose there are some nuggets of truth there, I think that would more strongly correlate with small rural areas (which are everywhere all around the country) than with "The South" in general. I think one reason much of the country uses the word "slow" to describe the south is a reflection of their prejudices and is both a reason for, and example of, such prejudice. Similarly, the phrase "down south" (or "down there/here") yields permission to look down on the south, even though the word "down" is not an accurate description of the south's position on the globe - that's why we have directional words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.