Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which most fits the most widely associated view of ME?
It's coastline: Lobster, the fishing industry, and beautiful coastal resorts and beach towns (some of the most pristine on the East Coast) 23 71.88%
Wildnerness. When I think Maine, there's not much to think about. 7 21.88%
farm towns, the country, rural areas and hillbillies 1 3.13%
Regular suburban towns with tree-lined streets and colonial New England homes 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:21 PM

160 posts, read 774,531 times

Advertisements

When you think of Maine, what associations do you make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:27 PM

116 posts, read 364,794 times
lol I was just talking about maine recently to a person from new hampshire...I was just saying i want to visit it b/c it seems that no one ever talks about it, nor do I ever hear anything about maine in the media. It's like a part of Canada or something.

I usually just thinkg wilderness...lots of trees, some mountains and lakes.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:26 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Default What associations do you have with Maine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp646 View Post
IMO, I think the first two choices are the correct ones. The Maine coastline and the Maine woods are two of the most outstanding things about Maine and make it different from many other states.

I chose the second choice, WILDERNESS to give it a boost. But I reject the sentence "when I think Maine there is not much to think about". Some of us think having wilderness in your state is a GOOD thing.

Your third choice, farm towns, rural areas and hillbillies sounds more like Vermont or New Hampshire. Or even more so, New York & Pennsylvania!

Your fourth choice only partially sounds like Maine at all, suburban New England. Definetely sounds more like the three southern New England states.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp646 View Post
Stephen King. Maine is terrifying.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,248 times
I haven't been to Maine but I hope to see it sometime. I chose number 1. I think of the coastline, and some good seafood. I'm sure they have some wilderness as well.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:11 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
IMO, I think the first two choices are the correct ones. The Maine coastline and the Maine woods are two of the most outstanding things about Maine and make it different from many other states.

I chose the second choice, WILDERNESS to give it a boost. But I reject the sentence "when I think Maine there is not much to think about". Some of us think having wilderness in your state is a GOOD thing.

Your third choice, farm towns, rural areas and hillbillies sounds more like Vermont or New Hampshire. Or even more so, New York & Pennsylvania!

Your fourth choice only partially sounds like Maine at all, suburban New England. Definetely sounds more like the three southern New England states.
I'd have to second that. IMHO, the wilderness of Maine is wonderful. I've done some hunting there and would desperately like to do some trapping too. The seacoast and such is nice but a bit crowded with people for my tastes to live there. But, one could be in the North Woods in the morning and by the sea in the evening. There are definately farms in Maine but like Vermont it isn't a great state for farming for the most part, although there are a lot of smaller farms in the state, moreso than VT. I hope the influx of people from MA, NJ, etc. into Southern Maine never reaches Northern Maine. I'd hate to see Northern Maine turned into another Portland, a.k.a., Northern MA. Although the Maine legislature certainly put Northern Maine at greater risk of development by attacking the logging industry in the 90's with some legislation. Unintended consequences.

Of course one of the reasons Maine is so undeveloped is the economy has been in a decline for a very long time, like most of Northern New England.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Of course one of the reasons Maine is so undeveloped is the economy has been in a decline for a very long time, like most of Northern New England.
This is not true for NH.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:44 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This is not true for NH.
Parts of NH were doing quite well economically. Not all of the state though. But ME and VT make up most of Northern New England. Actually, ME is the largest state of NE.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:45 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
E: None of the above. After living there for 20 years I know that it isn't all coastline and lobsters, nor is it barren wilderness with nothing to look at. In 20 years I never met any "hillbillies" in Maine either. Hardworking rural folks by the hundreds, but not hillbillies by any stretch of the imagination. There isn't very many suburban areas either when compared or held to the rest of the New England standard (which is vastly different than the rest of the Country as it is).

I think of great people who work hard to make a living in a difficult State. Hot summers and cold winters. Decent snowfall but not overwhelming. Lobsters, Logging, Farming, Maine Guides (hunting and fishing), and lots of space to get out and away from the rest of the World in some beautiful wilderness country. The Allagash Wilderness Waterway, North Maine Woods, etc... There is a lot to see and do out there.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,828,209 times
Wildnerness. When I think Maine, there's not much to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.