Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:43 AM

10 posts, read 27,318 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to move out of Texas. I Love Texas very much and was born and raised here, but I am wanting something new. I am also getting tired of drought and flat dry land all the time. I am wanting to go North. I like the cold, but I am very much a Largemouth Bass Fishing addict. What I am kinda looking for is a nice community, with good job opportunities, decent cost of living(not to high) near a nice a bass lake or lakes, and maybe at least within 3 hours of a snow skiing resort. (another addicton). Ranching has also been a big part of my life so a farm/ranch community is ok. Not really the open flat land type, had that my whole life I am hoping for good scenery, hiking, biking etc. And some good clean air the Texas dirt storms have caused me to have so many sinus problems including surgery. Any sugestions would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 10:48 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
Pittsburgh PA seems to have all you are looking for:

Pittsburgh Hotels, Attractions & Vacation Packages : Pittsburgh PA CVB

Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
What?? You want to move out of the great state of Texas? What is wrong with you?

kidding, of course. I'm just mocking the reaction of what a lot of Texans on this board are probably experiencing.

Maybe upstate NY around Ithaca and Syracuse.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:17 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,622,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What?? You want to move out of the great state of Texas? What is wrong with you?

kidding, of course. I'm just mocking the reaction of what a lot of Texans on this board are probably experiencing.

LOL....they can move from here...when 1 leaves the state, 10 comes.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:22 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusmc View Post
I am wanting to move out of Texas. I Love Texas very much and was born and raised here, but I am wanting something new. I am also getting tired of drought and flat dry land all the time. I am wanting to go North. I like the cold, but I am very much a Largemouth Bass Fishing addict. What I am kinda looking for is a nice community, with good job opportunities, decent cost of living(not to high) near a nice a bass lake or lakes, and maybe at least within 3 hours of a snow skiing resort. (another addicton). Ranching has also been a big part of my life so a farm/ranch community is ok. Not really the open flat land type, had that my whole life I am hoping for good scenery, hiking, biking etc. And some good clean air the Texas dirt storms have caused me to have so many sinus problems including surgery. Any sugestions would be much appreciated.
I would recommend the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. It has most of what you are looking for besides a diversified job market. However, it is only about a 1 hour commute to cities like Concord and Manchester that have a greater array of jobs. The quality of life and outdoor amenities are unbeatable with a moderate cost of living. NH does not have a state income or sales tax, but property taxes are spendy. Conservation lands are everywhere, and trails are mostly public use. Local ski areas are everywhere, and snow is abundant during the winter. The landscape is mostly woods with a few farms along the river as well as horse farms. I think you are looking for a northern location with seasons. I have seen TX license plates up here more often than you might imagine. The people here are more reserved and respect personal space. However, they are always willing to help if you need assistance. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:22 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Quote:
Texas is a big place. From what you say "drought and dry land" sounds like you must be in west or north Texas rather than near the coast like Houston or Corpus or central like Hill Country. Am I right?

The western midwest like ID or UT sounds like a good fit for what you want.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:25 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
LOL....they can move from here...when 1 leaves the state, 10 comes.
Yeah ok...Can't tell you how many people I've met who moved back here from there.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 PM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:

Thinking the same thing. Actually, we have a Bass fishing competition in the Syracuse area during the summer on nearby Oneida Lake: Outdoors Blog: Bass fishing tournaments

You have the Adirondacks, Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, the Salmon River, the North Country and many attractions close by. It is affordable and the housing market is one of the best in the country right now. There are plenty of hills and parks in the area too.

Here's some info. you might enjoy: I LOVE NEW YORK - The Official New York State Tourism Website
#1 Syracuse Real Estate Website | CNYREALTOR.COM
Syracuse Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder
Welcome to Onondaga County, New York
City of Syracuse
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau
Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
Fish NY - The Most Popular Sport Fishing Directory Dedicated to Fishing in New York
Visit Adirondacks - Official Travel Information for the Adirondack Region of New York State

and much, much more.......

Old 09-13-2009, 06:19 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,622,264 times
Quote:
You just can't admit that people are moving out of Texas who are unhappy.
That's true. Will you admit people to Texas because of the jobs and the lower cost of living. Dallas and Houston both have grown over 1 million in eight years. We probably have the best economy in the country right now here in Texas.

We'll continue to visit NYC sometimes though if that'll make you happy.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Better hurry, once they secede you'll have to sneak out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.