Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:33 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I take it the original poster never attended college and has no graduate degree.

We're not all living in a piled up ant hill.
BSEE but never finished masters. Ran out of money and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Best cities to make a living and raise a family:

Boise, Denver, Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, St. Petersburg.

The common denominator is that these cities are more concerned about creating jobs and family-friendly enivronments than glitzy, culture-filled meccas for urbanites and cosmopolitans. San Francisco, New York, and Boston are no places to raise a family or make a living. If you're some fancy-pants 20-something hipster you'll love it. But if you're a church-going, job-seeking, family person best go to Denver, Boise, or Houston.
LOL... I've never been called a "fancy-pants hipster" (I'm actually a librarian - go figure ), and I'm unfortunately no longer in my 20s. Lots of people make a good living & raise families in the Bay Area, like my own parents - and we all turned out just fine! Now that I'm making my own living, I have been doing quite well in San Francisco. As Chunkymonkey said, you're just buying into the stereotypes... and that's fairly insulting to those of us who live here.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Evidently many people love those cities, as evidenced here. Good for the environment as cities are more efficient than suburbs, and use less land area. As for me I just can't feel good in a controlled environment, whether big city or suburbs with zoning and/or HOA. Rural give you independance, and natural beauty, as well as bugs and breakdowns. But if I was raising a family it would be much better in a home than an apartment. Also it's my preference to live in an environment not controlled by others, and where you aren't within arm's reach of more homo sapiens. Just stepping outside for fresh fruit or vegetables from the garden, going fishing or hunting, rowing down a creek, river or lake, spending time with friends. In the city it seems like all the recreation is expensive. Also in a city there's a lonely feeling from being around so many people not interacting with each other.

I do agree though that big city is better than Mc Mansion , but cities need to be less expensive to survive long-term I think.
I see your points, but as we've all shown on this thread (and others), everyone has their own idea of paradise... I actually love the thought of "rural life", but just know I'd get bored after the novelty wore off. And as a single woman, it might be hard to meet men in the countryside - let alone a nice Jewish one.

As for your comment about recreation being expensive, that's not true if you know where to go! Golden Gate Park is probably the best recreation spot in all of San Francisco, and it doesn't cost a penny. My dog and I prefer the park closer to our home, where we can still hike for hours without running out of room. I also love wandering around the different neighborhoods, just people-watching and window-shopping... and then there's the ocean, which is 100% free to enjoy. Anyway, those are a few examples, and I could come up with more if I tried.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Best cities to make a living and raise a family:

Boise, Denver, Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, St. Petersburg.
Btw, the only one of these cities I'd consider is Denver, which I agree is a great place to live. As for the others? (keep in mind, this is only MY opinion based on my likes/dislikes, and in no way saying they're bad places) Boise is too conservative; Dallas also too conservative, hot and dry; Phoenix, same as Dallas; Houston, same again; St. Petersburg has that heat & humidity, and I've never liked Florida for some reason (yes, I've been there many times!).

I'm sorry, but most of those cities wouldn't suit my personality, lifestyle, weather preferences, love of the ocean, etc... not to mention, they're quite far from my family, which would be a real loss. "Quality of life" isn't only about what you can afford, but also what makes you HAPPY. That's great if these cities make others happy, but they're definitely not for me.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:42 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
That is what it comes down to. There are far too many people who judge quality of life be how big of a house one can afford. I know a lot of happy people who live in one room apartments and miserable people who live in huge suburban estates (I also know miserable people who live in one room apartments and happy people in huge suburban estates), quality of life has very little to do with how big your house it.

Oh and my 'hipster days' ended with my 20's as well, I'm now officially 'the man' in my workplace, that can never be cool

Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As for your comment about recreation being expensive, that's not true if you know where to go! Golden Gate Park is probably the best recreation spot in all of San Francisco, and it doesn't cost a penny. My dog and I prefer the park closer to our home, where we can still hike for hours without running out of room. I also love wandering around the different neighborhoods, just people-watching and window-shopping... and then there's the ocean, which is 100% free to enjoy. Anyway, those are a few examples, and I could come up with more if I tried.
Having visited SF many times (my bro has been living there for many years), I couldn't agree more. Not only is there plentiful, free recreation in the city, you can also get reasonable-priced meals at scads of neighborhood restaurants away from the touristy areas. I love SF!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Having visited SF many times (my bro has been living there for many years), I couldn't agree more. Not only is there plentiful, free recreation in the city, you can also get reasonable-priced meals at scads of neighborhood restaurants away from the touristy areas. I love SF!
Yes, you're right about the food too! Many people who visit SF only do the tourist-traps, which of course will charge more for everything. But those of us who live here or know the "insider tips" can find good, cheap food all over... inner Mission for Mexican/Latino, Visitacion & Portola for Chinese, Clement St. for all different Asian cuisines, Richmond for Russian food, Civic Center for diners, and so on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.