Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Do you know this for a fact, or are you shooting from the hip? Regardless of tax rates, I am guessing the NYC school system represents a pretty big and powerful buying pool. I wouldn't doubt that they were able to cut themselves a sweet deal with the insurance companies. But I suspect there are co-pays and deductables for non-preventive services which Rachel has never seen because she's never needed that type of care.

Rachel, please weigh in.
..if this might be a "luxury" that NYC can't afford for much longer; remember, if I recall correctly, that the Big 3 Automakers in Detroit had to cut back on the health insurance benefits of their retirees because they simply couldn't afford to pay for them anymore. Virtually everyone pays "something" for their health insurance benefits, usually through weekly payroll withholdings; if someone is getting these benefits for free, then they are 1) very lucky, and 2) living on borrowed time, because this will probably not go on much longer, as retirees' medical expenses soar through the simple process of the aging of the beneficiaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:11 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..if this might be a "luxury" that NYC can't afford for much longer; remember, if I recall correctly, that the Big 3 Automakers in Detroit had to cut back on the health insurance benefits of their retirees because they simply couldn't afford to pay for them anymore. Virtually everyone pays "something" for their health insurance benefits, usually through weekly payroll withholdings; if someone is getting these benefits for free, then they are 1) very lucky, and 2) living on borrowed time, because this will probably not go on much longer, as retirees' medical expenses soar through the simple process of the aging of the beneficiaries.
Well, I thought everyone had co-pays and deductables (of various amounts) these days, but let's see what Rachel says.

Imposing and gradually increasing co-pays and deductables are your employer's way of saying, "I can't afford this anymore...employees need to start paying for this." Gradually, the cost is being shifted to the employees. Luckily, most employers recognize the value of preventive care, so don't impose OOP costs on those, whcih would discourage many from getting physicals, etc.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:29 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
The article's implicit arguement is that coverage should not be expanded to all citizens because there wouldn't be enough physicians to treat them is predictable from this conservative professional journal. Many doctors do not want to share their turf, when in actuality, nurse practitioners are growing in thier ranks and are able to pick up much of the health care services and procedures that are today relegated solely to MDs. Educating nurse praticitoners takes much less time and is much less expensive than educating MDs. Study after study has shown that the quality of the care provided by NPs is equal to that of MDs. In addition, the development of the "medical home" care model is also reducing the burden placed on primary care docs, while their patients get more quality time with them.
I noticed that too. I also noticed they chose a doctor out in Amherst, which is a very rural area in Western Massachusetts. I've never had any trouble seeing a doctor, and I'd be interested if they're facing the "overcrowding" problem in other places in and around Boston.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Really free? No co-pays or deductables?

No...we get treated nicely here as teachers. Also only pay $5 for antibiotics.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:13 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
I don't have it right now, and the last 5 or so years I was employed I declined it......too expensive, it didn't cover enough, and I hardly used it.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:44 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,448 times
The US has this weird backward system where we get our healthcare through our employers. I can't think of any other system in the World that does it this way.

Insurers are taking 10-30% of the premiums that your employers pay on your behalf as pure profit and/or administrative waste as well. Average composite premiums are running as much as $1,000-1,500 per month per family these days.

Imagine getting rid of the insurance companies, paying a little bit more in taxes, but getting paid more in terms of wages in return. How's an extra $15-20 thousand dollars more in your pocket each year sound?

Much of the stagnation in wages we're seeing can be directly attributed to the increases in healtcare costs to your employer.

We need to end this cycle.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:22 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
We have major medical health, but no life or dental.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
CNN released a map of uninsured percentages by state. How did your state do? Congrats to MA for keeping so many insured.

State by state: Who’s got health insurance and who doesn’t - CNNMoney.com

Massachusetts boasts lowest rate of uninsured in 2008 - Sep. 21, 2009
Why am I not surprised by how "red" Florida is on the map for the percentage of uninsured???

Old 09-26-2009, 12:50 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Why am I not surprised by how "red" Florida is on the map for the percentage of uninsured???
Its a state dominated by low wage jobs with little to no benefits.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Yeah, I have health insurance: it just went up to 650.00 a month with LESS service coverage and TRIPLE the co-pays. i'm just THRILLED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.