Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 03:49 PM

472 posts, read 346,532 times

Advertisements

Paris, TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 05:27 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Been to both. Neither looks anything like Paris.

DC should be the winner here in a physical sense. MTL and QC resemble Paris in the sense that French is spoken there, but it’s like the similarity between Boston and London (not super close). They have totally different cuisines and accents/dialects beyond the simple aesthetic differences.
Lived in Montréal. Speak French, so i'm aware that Québecois French is a different dialect than Parisian.

But I agree with the poster above. DC's urban planning might be modeled on Paris's, but, culturally it has a very different feel. We can't downplay similarities in Francophone culture, just as we can't downplay similarities in Anglophone culture between, say, Australia and the UK.

There's a reason why Montréal and Québec City attract many immigrants from France (France provides the largest number of immigrants after China). Might there be a bit of a culture shock? Sure. Just as I experienced culture shock moving from Canada to the US.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:50 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I’d say Washington DC.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:06 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
We can't downplay similarities in Francophone culture, just as we can't downplay similarities in Anglophone culture between, say, Australia and the UK.
Jamaica is also Anglophone. Doesn’t mean that Sydney is more similar to Kingston than to Montreal.

Yes, Francophone culture is significant. Quebec City is surely more similar to Toulouse than it is to any American city. But the thing about Francophone cities (in my experience) is that they’re all SO unique, Paris especially. Marseille is not as similar to Bordeaux or Lyon as DC is to Boston or Philadelphia. Following that logic, being Francophone alone isn’t enough to link Montreal or Quebec City to Paris. The three are just too different in too many other ways.

While we’re at it, I think that Montreal is generally more similar to American cities than it is to French cities. However, I’ve heard that Québécois and [French] Belgian culture have similarities, so MTL might resemble Brussels more than Boston, Brooklyn, or Philly.

Sherbrooke (on the other hand) seems aggressively similar to tons of small, New England cities. I’ve never been, but it’s on my list.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 03-05-2020 at 06:26 PM..

Old 03-05-2020, 09:58 PM

657 posts, read 801,992 times
Quote:
Been to both. Neither looks anything like Paris.

DC should be the winner here in a physical sense. MTL and QC resemble Paris in the sense that French is spoken there, but it’s like the similarity between Boston and London (not super close). They have totally different cuisines and accents/dialects beyond the simple aesthetic differences.
Bit of nitpick, but culturally Quebec and France are much closer than that. More like the difference between London and Melbourne. Two different cities, but Melbourne still has a slightly British vibe due to the fact that Australian culture still resembles British culture to a degree.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:09 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Jamaica is also Anglophone. Doesn’t mean that Sydney is more similar to Kingston than to Montreal.

Though honestly such a comparison would be a bit of stretch anyway.

Jamaica might speak English and have British (and even American) influences but its people are still fundamentally Afro-Caribbean. That is the dominant cultural marker.

In Quebec something like 85% of the population is primarily of European French origin. The roots are distant but they are still there in spite of many influences that have also exerted themselves on Quebec over the centuries.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
However, I’ve heard that Québécois and [French] Belgian culture have similarities, so MTL might resemble Brussels more than Boston, Brooklyn, or Philly.

I've had those discussions as well. They're fun and there are some surprising similarities.

Still, owing to contemporary France's size and our shared history, France looms way larger here.

Add to this the fact that there are tons of commonalities between francophone Belgians and the French, and in many ways francophone Belgium and France share a virtually seamless common cultural sphere similarly to how the U.S. and Anglo-Canada do.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:04 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Bit of nitpick, but culturally Quebec and France are much closer than that. More like the difference between London and Melbourne. Two different cities, but Melbourne still has a slightly British vibe due to the fact that Australian culture still resembles British culture to a degree.
I’ll take your word for it, I guess. Is it easy to find good poutine in France?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Though honestly such a comparison would be a bit of stretch anyway.
Yeah, I know it’s a bit of a stretch. I just wanted to make the point that language isn’t everything.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I’ll take your word for it, I guess. Is it easy to find good poutine in France?

Fish n chips crosses the ocean more easily between its trans-Atlantic cousins than poutine does, in my experience.

For now at least.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Sherbrooke (on the other hand) seems aggressively similar to tons of small, New England cities. I’ve never been, but it’s on my list.
That makes sense as it was never part of New France (at least not in terms of permanent settlement) and was founded by New Englanders (generally loyal to the British Crown) after the American Revolution.

For the first half of the 1800s Sherbrooke and the surrounding region (Eastern Townships) was very predominantly British demographically, and around the turn of the 20th century anglophones were probably still a majority there - albeit a bare one.

Today the region still has an anglophone minority population but both the city of Sherbrooke and the wider Eastern Townships region are about 95% French-speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.