Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 02:09 PM

271 posts, read 657,524 times

Advertisements

I'm 42 years old, single with no family so to speak. I have a college degree (BA in sociology) and am still really struggling to make ends meet where I'm at. My employment experience is about 20 years worth in the low paying, high turnover field of social services which I can do but I shouldn't have to be working two jobs just to stay up with the cost of living.

I am needing a fresh start somewhere but, where?

Climate doesn't matter to me what matters to me is a place that's not too young, not too old, not too family friendly and not too expensive for me to get started. (Pet friendly is a must though) I want a place that's not too educated as I want to be able to stand above my competition for jobs but I don't want a place that's totally uneducated either because once I get a job I would like to meet people for intelligent conversation. Eventually I want to get out of social services but it's no rush as long as I can make enough to be able to live comfortably where I'm at.

Yes, I may be interested in going back to school to get my masters but I don't want to feel I HAVE to just to get a job that keeps up with the cost of living.

I really would like suggestions for me to look into
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 03:42 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Spokane?

Old 11-21-2009, 04:22 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
You need someone to share your life with. I think that would change your perspective dramatically. 2 income-earners operating as a single family or couple provide more stability and a feeling of mutual support.

Please don't take offense, Im not one to talk but I recall what it was like to be part of a couple and it was really nice.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:38 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Not too young- Stay out of college towns and "hip" cities (SF, Austin etc...)

Not too old- Stay out of most of Florida and most of Arizona.

Not too family friendly- Avoid the Deep South and South Central US.

Not too educated- Avoid the Northeast and urban West Coast

Not too uneducated?- Avoid rural and inner city America, stick to burbs or mid sized cities

Lower cost of living- Sorry but can't help with this. I could tell you about places with lower COL but they'll have lower pay. In the end, it usually evens out though there are a few low pay/high COL areas that are to be avoided.

Since your in social services, you'll probably need an area that supports them. This will rule out very conservative areasof the country.

based on process of elimination using your criteria- I'd say the Midwest. Maybe Minneapolis area? Milwaukee? Pittsburgh?

Really though, if COL is your only reason for living I think you'll be disappointed. The lower pay in lower COL areas evens out with the high pay/high COL areas. Unless your in an area with low pay (regional not just your career) and high COl, you probably won't get much of a boost by moving. The high pay/low COL equation everyone wants really only applies to certain industries in boom times, and usually they are not social services...sorry.

You should probably check the pay for your field in the other areas as well as the COL in those areas.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 PM

271 posts, read 657,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You need someone to share your life with. I think that would change your perspective dramatically. 2 income-earners operating as a single family or couple provide more stability and a feeling of mutual support.

Please don't take offense, Im not one to talk but I recall what it was like to be part of a couple and it was really nice.
Well...I'm not the most outgoing person in the world, I'm quiet (but not shy) so I have a hard time making friends, nonetheless relationships so, where is a good place for singles in their 40's?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Delaware

Old 11-22-2009, 11:10 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Not too young- Stay out of college towns and "hip" cities (SF, Austin etc...)

Not too old- Stay out of most of Florida and most of Arizona.

Not too family friendly- Avoid the Deep South and South Central US.

Not too educated- Avoid the Northeast and urban West Coast

Not too uneducated?- Avoid rural and inner city America, stick to burbs or mid sized cities

Lower cost of living- Sorry but can't help with this. I could tell you about places with lower COL but they'll have lower pay. In the end, it usually evens out though there are a few low pay/high COL areas that are to be avoided.

Since your in social services, you'll probably need an area that supports them. This will rule out very conservative areasof the country.

based on process of elimination using your criteria- I'd say the Midwest. Maybe Minneapolis area? Milwaukee? Pittsburgh?

Really though, if COL is your only reason for living I think you'll be disappointed. The lower pay in lower COL areas evens out with the high pay/high COL areas. Unless your in an area with low pay (regional not just your career) and high COl, you probably won't get much of a boost by moving. The high pay/low COL equation everyone wants really only applies to certain industries in boom times, and usually they are not social services...sorry.

You should probably check the pay for your field in the other areas as well as the COL in those areas.
Going by these generalizations, I'd say Pittsburgh.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 AM

13 posts, read 19,931 times
There are some pretty affordable cities in upstate NY and I think there are probably a lot of jobs in your field. You might want to consider the Albany-Saratoga NY region, as there are lots of affordable places to live (especially if you're alone), the area is a pretty even mix of professionals, families, students, retirees, etc. There aren't clusters of Ivy League schools around (like in New England), but there are universities, colleges, law school, med school I think, etc. I'm sure in Albany itself there is a need for social workers. Commutes are relatively easy compared to many cities.

It snows in winter but doesn't generally get bitterly cold, it's nice in summer, a little humid but not too bad, and the springs and fall are gorgeous.

It isn't my favorite place in the country, but it is a nice moderate place... AND you're in New York, which means people will probably talk to you. We have a lot to say in this state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.