Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:02 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times

Advertisements

negative posts about their city? It's not like you actually built it? OR, when someone says that people from so and so place are ugly or rude, you take offense as if you are related to every one of them?
Just so strange to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 06:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
when people get angry you are getting close to home. cities are not good or evil. they are just a bunch of buildings staring at each other. its about how we treat each other and we need to do better huh, unfortunately angry posters think that is somebody else's job.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:13 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
I can understand if it's derogatory or mean spirited stereotyping and generalizations why people get mad and defensive b/c that's just stupid. But some people get so defensive when you criticize something that is true about their city. When people complain about San Diego being not urban enough, too suburban, weather is boring, bad public transit, not enough culture/diversity, etc.. I don't get all defensive or butt hurt b/c it's true to a certain extent. Most San Diegan's would agree with those complaints as well, it just doesn't bother us enough to where we'd move b/c of it, we know what we have and what we don't. But if I were to say that about some other city, like Houston, people will tell me 'well this area of Houston is urban, we're building light rail, we have all these museums, blah blah blah'. It's like yeah so, SD has some urban areas, light rail, museums, etc...but they're nothing to write home about b/c when it comes down to it, SD still doesn't have the urban fabric of SF, the museums of DC, or the public transit of Chicago. It's like some people can't admit anything negative about their city and it's pathetic. Be proud of what you have but don't pretend that your city has or excels in something that it really doesn't.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:26 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I can understand if it's derogatory or mean spirited stereotyping and generalizations why people get mad and defensive b/c that's just stupid. But some people get so defensive when you criticize something that is true about their city. When people complain about San Diego being not urban enough, too suburban, weather is boring, bad public transit, not enough culture/diversity, etc.. I don't get all defensive or butt hurt b/c it's true to a certain extent. Most San Diegan's would agree with those complaints as well, it just doesn't bother us enough to where we'd move b/c of it, we know what we have and what we don't. But if I were to say that about some other city, like Houston, people will tell me 'well this area of Houston is urban, we're building light rail, we have all these museums, blah blah blah'. It's like yeah so, SD has some urban areas, light rail, museums, etc...but they're nothing to write home about b/c when it comes down to it, SD still doesn't have the urban fabric of SF, the museums of DC, or the public transit of Chicago. It's like some people can't admit anything negative about their city and it's pathetic. Be proud of what you have but don't pretend that your city has or excels in something that it really doesn't.

excellent post, I agree

most people on here should be car salesmen

Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

San Diego weather IS boring,lol....actually that was one reason we did leave. Wanted to see what 4 seasons would be like. Get some tornado warnings, now that's weather! Not STORM WATCH 2008 (do they still do that when it rains?lol)

Old 07-25-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
San Diego weather IS boring,lol....actually that was one reason we did leave. Wanted to see what 4 seasons would be like. Get some tornado warnings, now that's weather! Not STORM WATCH 2008 (do they still do that when it rains?lol)
Yes it is! but at least it's nice, pleasant boring weather. I do wish we had some more weather here though, a thunderstorm or just something every now and then would be nice. That's why I love it when it rains down here, it's a nice change from the usual. And yes "STORM WATCH 2008" comes on anytime it sprinkles, haha. This year was ridiculous with the weather "forecasts" b/c whenever they actually had to predict REAL weather they got it wrong 90% of the time, it barely rains when they say it will pour and "flood" and then when they said it might rain it pours. It's like sunny and 72 they can predict all the time but when actual weather comes they don't know what to do and tell people pretty much the opposite of what actually happens.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:39 PM

21 posts, read 74,411 times
Default Generalization of the people vs. the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
negative posts about their city? It's not like you actually built it? OR, when someone says that people from so and so place are ugly or rude, you take offense as if you are related to every one of them?
Just so strange to me!
The problem is you're not just talking about the city when you say the people from so and so are ugly or rude. That's generalizing...so if I'm living in that city you're talking about, then it does affect me because you're generalizing me as the ugly or rude person.

If you're talking about the weather of the city...the terrible traffic of the city or whatever else like trash or noise...that's the city, then I agree. No one should get mad about that. Even if you say the city is not cultured, that's not offensive either.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow22sam View Post
The problem is you're not just talking about the city when you say the people from so and so are ugly or rude. That's generalizing...so if I'm living in that city you're talking about, then it does affect me because you're generalizing me as the ugly or rude person.

If you're talking about the weather of the city...the terrible traffic of the city or whatever else like trash or noise...that's the city, then I agree. No one should get mad about that. Even if you say the city is not cultured, that's not offensive either.

Yeah, but how can generalizing really bother you when you know what you are like?
If you say all the people in Ga are ugly, I know it's a lie because I'm not

Old 07-25-2008, 07:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
I get angry as Hell when people from San Diego refer to the place as "SD", as though South Dakota didn't signify. South Dakota is a much more important place then San Diego to those of us who eat bread.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I get angry as Hell when people from San Diego refer to the place as "SD", as though South Dakota didn't signify. South Dakota is a much more important place then San Diego to those of us who eat bread.
Are you kidding me? It's the freakin initials of the city! Nobody is putting South Dakota down or even thinking about it when calling the city by it's own initials. Does it bother you when people call Los Angeles "LA" too b/c of Louisiana ???? man, if that gets you "angry as hell" I'd hate to see what else pisses you off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.