Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM

134 posts, read 891,393 times

Advertisements

As you might guess by my screen name I am a country boy at heart.

I prefer jeans and t-shirts over slacks and a tie. I enjoy country music, beer (over "cocktails") and I like to drive a pick-up truck. I shoot pool, I bowl I enjoy football, hockey, basketball and soccer. Is there a spot for me?

I'm not into the high-tech field and can't stand being a 9-5 office worker. However, I enjoy the culture of the city, especially the sports (but don't mind, actually prefer the "minor-league scene" )

So, a small town within 2 hours of a major metropolitan area or a large city that's 2 hours from "the middle of nowhere" would be perfect. Is there a spot for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Sounds like central Oregon, middle Tennessee, eastern Washington, North Alabama, most of Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, etc., to me. There's a LOT of places that meet those qualifications. Just find a city that you think you'd like to be near, and start looking within a 2 hour radius and you'll find something.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:29 PM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post

I prefer jeans and t-shirts over slacks and a tie. I enjoy country music, beer (over "cocktails") and I like to drive a pick-up truck. I shoot pool, I bowl I enjoy football, hockey, basketball and soccer. Is there a spot for me?

I'm not into the high-tech field and can't stand being a 9-5 office worker. However, I enjoy the culture of the city, especially the sports (but don't mind, actually prefer the "minor-league scene" )

So, a small town within 2 hours of a major metropolitan area or a large city that's 2 hours from "the middle of nowhere" would be perfect. Is there a spot for me?
Actually, Upstate NY might be good for you too. There are rural areas that are legit, but are close enough to cities with the things you want to enjoy. As far as cities, the major Upstate cities(Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany) would be fine. Some other cities that people don't think about like Binghamton, Elmira, Jamestown, Utica, Poughkeepsie and few others would fit some or most of your criteria too. Heck, even small cities like Auburn, Batavia and Oneonta have minor league Baseball.

If you go with the Syracuse area, Oswego County would be perfect. Great for things like fishing, snowmobiling and so on. Oswego is a small city of about 18,000 that has a college and is known for having a pretty nightlife with plenty of bars. Surprisingly, the country music radio station is one of the highest listened to radio stations in the area(B 104.7), if not the highest: Best Country... Familiar Favorites B104.7 ::www.B1047.net:: . It is licensed to Fulton, a small city in Oswego County. Here's some info on Oswego County: The Official Web Site of Oswego County, NY, USA
Oswego County Tourism Home Page

Specifically you might like towns like Pulsaki, Sandy Creek, Hannibal, Phoenix, Mexico and Central Square.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Dyersburg TN

Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
You didn't mention if weather or COL mattered but I instantly thought of Texas. If you're not that much of a country boy, Colorado.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 AM

134 posts, read 891,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
You didn't mention if weather or COL mattered but I instantly thought of Texas. If you're not that much of a country boy, Colorado.
I don't mind a low paying job in a low COL area as long as my low paying job is "respectful" to the COL (meaning that I could make ends meet with a little additional $$$ and work only 1 FT job)

As far as weather I like at least 3 distinct seasons...could do with or without a cold, hard winter.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 AM

155 posts, read 196,908 times
Sounds like Oklahoma City would be the perfect choice for you.

Oklahoma City Convention & Visitors Bureau Oklahoma City Convention & Visitors Bureau

Old 01-15-2010, 12:16 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post

Check out Bryan/ College Station TX. It is definitely a place you would like and it is less than 2 hrs to Houston for the cosmopolitan big city experience

Old 01-16-2010, 12:39 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
St. Louis maybe? There's MLB, NHL, NFL. Within 3 hours, you can be halfway across the state. Deep into the Ozarks.

I live 150 miles from St. Louis and everyone I know loves country music (I don't care for it much myself). There's lots of pickup trucks, "muddin," and hunting. Of course, St. Louis is more urban, so there won't be as much "country boy" mentality. But there are plenty of woods and out of the way places within 2-3 hours of St. Louis. Lots of "Rednecks," though I don't mean that as an insult.

Look at Google Streetview into the rural areas of Missouri. Lots of places that are out in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.