Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 08:51 AM

132 posts, read 351,104 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Denver from Houston. I'm not sure if I could adapt to the cold Denver winters (compared to Houston's).

I'm looking for answers from people who lived in the south and then moved somewhere that is cold like Denver. I would like to know if you ever adapted to the cold or did you move back south?

Houston's winters mild compared to almost anywhere in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:09 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Florida's winters are milder, I think. It's 40 degrees here in Houston right now, and 35-40 is about my limit when it comes to cold. I moved to Denver and moved back to Houston partially because I couldn't deal with the cold AND snow (it wasn't the main reason), but then I get cold very easily. It depends on your personal tolerance level. No one can really answer for you. Most people acclimate to whatever the weather. Plus, I'm an oddball because I think Northern California has the perfect weather year-round, not Southern California like most people.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:07 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
good thread. I'm also thinking about moving to a colder region (northeast) for school. I'm not sure if i would be able to handle the cold weather but i do look forward to snow. i'm so cold right now and it's only in the 40s here in Houston.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:36 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
I was born in Houston and lived there for most of my childhood till my parents got transferred to Detroit.

I left Detroit and the cold the first chance I got....down to Florida. Even Houston seems cold to me now.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:50 PM

217 posts, read 292,461 times
yeah it's called SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA , but anyway temps have been low lately

Old 12-06-2008, 10:10 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
I've never lived somewhere warm, but I want to. I have a hard time handling the cold and I've lived in New England all my life. I can only imagine how hard it would be if I was used to living somewhere warm. Denver isn't quite as bad as some other places, though. They get more snow, but they also get chinook winds. Chinooks bring temperatures of 50-70 in the winter. I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing...you get a break from the cold, but the warmth doesn't stay and its back to being cold in a few days.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Lived in Dallas then went to Sault Ste. Marie, MI. Might say warmer to cold . Still live in cold climates and prefer them actually. I can't take the Summer heat in the South, so this climate is much better for me.

If you do make a move into a cold area, give it a couple of winters before deciding if you want to go back South. The first winter is always the hardest to adapt to, and you will be COLD most of the time. The next winter is much easier.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
I grew up in Florida and moved to Pittsburgh in 2006 and have LOVED the cold winters and snowfall. I just went jogging this morning in 20 degree weather and found it invigorating. For me, adapting to the cold weather was easier than the first 35 years of my life dealing with 6+ months straight of unrelenting 90+ degree temps and high humidity year in and year out. But I realize most people feel the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.