Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the Most Beautiful Southwestern State?
Arizona 9 36.00%
New Mexico 5 20.00%
West Texas 1 4.00%
Nevada 2 8.00%
Utah 3 12.00%
Southern California 2 8.00%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Colorado 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,708 times

Advertisements

I was just curious as to what states in the Southwest you guys believe to be the most naturally beautiful. What would I consider the Southwest you say? Probably:

Arizona
New Mexico
Western Texas
Nevada
Utah
Colorado (maybe, though it really doesn't have the Southwestern vibe like the others seem to)
and maybe Oklahoma, though that's a stretch
California can be included if you only consider the southern part

It would be helpful if you guys who've been to most of these rank them by preference. Thanks! Pics would be great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I would say that southern Colorado qualifies, while Southern California doesn't.

That said, Northern New Mexico is my choice. Sage and juniper desert valleys flanked by fir-clad mountains makes for great visual appeal. The "lifeless" red sandstone or vast dusty plains don't do it for me.

ABQConvict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I was just curious as to what states in the Southwest you guys believe to be the most naturally beautiful. What would I consider the Southwest you say? Probably:

Arizona
New Mexico
Western Texas
Nevada
Utah
Colorado (maybe, though it really doesn't have the Southwestern vibe like the others seem to)

It would be helpful if you guys who've been to most of these rank them by preference. Thanks! Pics would be great too.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
I agree with ABQConvict regarding Northern NM- but then I'm biased as I'm from there.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:04 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
I'd say Southern Colorado. The San Juans in the southwestern part of the state are gorgeous.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,191,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post

Arizona
New Mexico
Western Texas
Nevada
Utah

Colorado-Still has greenery.
Utah-never been there but pictures look amazing
Arizona- Desert and forrest in the sedona/flaggstaff area
New Mexico- Similar to colorado but not quite as widespread.
Nevada- Tahoe area is beautiful but lots of complete barren areas
Texas-This may not be fair to put Texas this low, I'm just not familiar with W-Tex.
Oklahoma- Very underrated as far as being considered a pretty state. However the pretty areas are in the eastern part of the state where few people live. Which classifies this more like Missouri and Arkansas, not very southeast. The southwest part of the state has some pretty areas but it's not widespread like eastern Oklahoma.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Another vote for Northern New Mexico. One of the most beautiful areas in the country.

Oklahoma isn't Southwestern. It's more Southeastern than Southwestern.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
New Mexico

Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times
I like the barren landscapes of the Southwest, so I am going to have to say Nevada and portions of Southeastern California (Death Valley, Needles, Glamis, El Centro) are my favorites. There is something striking about those deserts that have almost NO native vegetation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Another vote for Northern New Mexico. One of the most beautiful areas in the country.

You clearly have never been anywhere near Oklahoma... Oklahoma is a Southwestern state.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 AM

924 posts, read 1,644,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post

According to Wikipedia, it is part of the Southwestern United States: Southwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I added a poll by the way, if you guys want to vote.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
Arizona

It has sage and juniper on the Colorado Plateau, pine forest across the middle, grasslands, and it's the meeting point of 3 deserts(4 if you consider the Colorado Plateau part of the Great Basin Desert);the Mojave, the Chihuahuan, and the Sonoran Desert the most beautiful place on Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.