Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:31 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
I'm going there in the spring, FYI...
Stash away your pre-conceived notions, and you may fall in love with the place.

I can tell you that it just may blow you away, beauty-wise. Spring here is unreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
I actually hear Norman, OK is good if you like being liberal but would like to retain the "country" aspects of life.

Any major city in Texas would probably also be good.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 AM

442 posts, read 828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
I'm going there in the spring, FYI...

Then make sure you actually experience the real Atlanta and not the suburbs. Too many people come, spend most of their time outside the perimeter in the outer burbs and think they actually experienced Atlanta. Hit up mid town and Downtown. Go eat in Buckhead or Dunwoody Perimiter center.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 AM

126 posts, read 322,262 times
I wish you well, but I don't like questions like this that are asked on here. This finger pointing from Northerners and people from other parts of the country on the "racism" issue are hypocritical for a number of reasons.

Number 1: Racist people exist everywhere, and they are more abundant in other parts of the world than the American South. Yet liberals and others enjoy acting as if Southerners are the only people on the entire planet guilty of this sin.

Number 2: The accusation and label really isn't fair considering that the South has many more blacks and hispanics than the North does. It seems the Northerners who lecture Southerners the most about race, live in states like Vermont where all their neighbors are white. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Number 3: White people up North who have lived around minorities (in the same densities as white Southerners have), are more or less pretty racist themselves.

Let's stop labeling the South as "racist". It really isn't a fair label for a number of reasons. Stop being ignorant.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, and the DC area are all great for what you want.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
I think whatever you choose the major point here is.... city... not rural area. To me the south is very similar to the rest of America with these different mentalities... we just have more people in exurban/rural areas, which often sways our political leanings.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:04 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I think Houston would be your best bet. I have been here for 3 years and can not believe how open to acceptance people are here. I thought it would be different with Houston being in the Bible belt but it is just so diversified. You see people here from all over the world. It seems like only about half of the people speak english as their first language it seems. Well good luck
Actually Houston straddles the bible belt; it's not in it.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually Houston straddles the bible belt; it's not in it.
If a place is predominately catholic, but surrounded by the bible belt, does that make it part of the bible belt or no?

Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
If a place is predominately catholic, but surrounded by the bible belt, does that make it part of the bible belt or no?
Only reason why Dallas has a large catholic population is due to it's large Hispanic population. Same with Houston to a lesser extent, but Houston has always been more religiously diverse than Dallas.

Anyways, yes it's still located in the bible belt.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Only reason why Dallas has a large catholic population is due to it's large Hispanic population. Same with Houston to a lesser extent, but Houston has always been more religiously diverse than Dallas.

Anyways, yes it's still located in the bible belt.
Houston is predominately catholic for the same reason Dallas is. Hispanics.

Houston may have been predominately catholic for longer, but the reason is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.