Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 10:35 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Which city propers are gaining the Black middle-class? We hear so much about a few cities, but what about the other city propers in America? What are the top 10 city propers in America for middle-class Black household growth?

I think it’s safe to say most cities are losing lower-income Black households, but are they simultaneously gaining Black middle-class households?

I’m mostly interested in #6-10. Let’s use $75k as the cutoff for household income. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 11:44 PM

817 posts, read 626,327 times
Middle class blacks are flooding into Las Vegas, Atlanta, and Texas cities. Not sure about other areas though.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:23 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Yeah pretty much. I think I read somewhere that Charlotte might be one of the few cities that isn't experiencing a high suburbanization of Black people in America. But than again I could be wrong on that.

I know most of the Black Middle class are moving to the burbs in Dallas. Same with Houston even though I do believe there's a significant amount of Middle class Black singles moving into West Houston and The Galleria area which is in the city proper. But Houston city proper is pretty massive and spread out though.

But why do I get the feeling this thread will turn into a pro-DC thread?

Last edited by mjlo; 07-08-2022 at 12:31 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 06:40 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah pretty much. I think I read somewhere that Charlotte might be one of the few cities that isn't experiencing a high suburbanization of Black people in America. But than again I could be wrong on that.

I know most of the Black Middle class are moving to the burbs in Dallas. Same with Houston even though I do believe there's a significant amount of Middle class Black singles moving into West Houston and The Galleria area which is in the city proper. But Houston city proper is pretty massive and spread out though.

But why do I get the feeling this thread will turn into a pro-DC thread?
Charlotte’s city proper is also pretty large and spread out—with some large, newly-built suburban areas.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:43 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Not including DC, Atlanta, NYC, Houston, and perhaps Dallas. You would have to think Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Columbus, OH, Baltimore, and maybe a Indianapolis? Las Vegas and Phoenix are two others.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:46 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not including DC, Atlanta, NYC, Houston, and perhaps Dallas. You would have to think Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Columbus, OH, Baltimore, and maybe an Indianapolis?
Total opposite. Blacks are fleeing Baltimore and it is overwhelminglymiddle class families. Theyre fleeing Baltimore for Howard County Harford County and Baltimore County. Theres a black middle class here due to sheer numbers but it feels so very small as most black middle class people not working for the city look at you strange if you live in Baltimore City. After 4 years here Ive gotten the memo now..

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion...330-story.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/balt...ltimore-4.html

Old 07-07-2022, 06:47 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Columbus
Raleigh
Indianpolis
Minneapolis*
Las Vegas
Charlotte
Washington DC
Houston
Dallas
Phoenix

Those are 10 I can think of

Honorable mentions to Seattle, Boston (Upper Middle Class), New Haven, Austin, Tampa. I'd include Huntsville but its metro is 1/2 of New Haven, not really a major city.

* Not sure how much is working class or refugee, vs middle class

Old 07-07-2022, 06:47 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Total opposite. Blacks are fleeing Baltimore and it is overwhelminglymiddle class families. Theyre fleeing Baltimore for Howard County Harford County and Baltimore County.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion...330-story.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/balt...ltimore-4.html
I went back and read the OP and he did state city proper so yeah, take that out. I originally thought he meant metro.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:48 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Charlotte’s city proper is also pretty large and spread out—with some large, newly-built suburban areas.
You beat me to it! Charlotte has a larger percentage of its "suburbs" within the city limits. By land area, Charlotte is more than twice the size of Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:38 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Columbus
Raleigh
Indianpolis
Minneapolis*
Las Vegas
Charlotte
Washington DC
Houston
Dallas
Phoenix

Those are 10 I can think of

Honorable mentions to Seattle, Boston (Upper Middle Class), New Haven, Austin, Tampa. I'd include Huntsville but its metro is 1/2 of New Haven, not really a major city.

* Not sure how much is working class or refugee, vs middle class
Good list, but what makes this tough is that almost all of these cities are spread out.

To the original question, I wouldn’t be surprised if this would be more of a satellite city thing. For instance, a couple of small cities like Middletown NY and Brockton MA have about 40%+ of their black households have incomes of $75,000 or higher. So, those are the kinds of cities where the black middle class likely grew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.