Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:55 AM

291 posts, read 1,361,121 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree with GeorgiaBoy, its best to rent a for a few months and see the area for a while before investing, If we had that choice, we would of taken it, but sometimes you do not get that in life, this time we do have that choice and trust me, we are taking it! And you can't go by what you do hear on these threads ONLY, I would take them into consideration, but there are alot of people who are real estate agents who have a vested interest in you moving to their neck of the woods, I seen it myself here. And also it is wise to check crime stastics but be careful, I live in one of the best zipcodes, great schools and etc, but you would never know the crime and its effect on the area in which I live, till you lived here awhile, sometimes you can do everything right, do your homework and still end up in a bad place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 09:32 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforasafehome View Post
And you can't go by what you do hear on these threads ONLY, I would take them into consideration, but there are alot of people who are real estate agents who have a vested interest in you moving to their neck of the woods, I seen it myself here. And also it is wise to check crime stastics but be careful, I live in one of the best zipcodes, great schools and etc, but you would never know the crime and its effect on the area in which I live, till you lived here awhile, sometimes you can do everything right, do your homework and still end up in a bad place.
I have lived in the metro Atlanta area for quite some time I don't notice much 'manipulation' of truth in these forums. Moderators remove posts or links that violate guidelines on advertising. Realtors are allowed to list their websites/links in their bio. I suppose if you are receiving unwanted solicitations that you could contact the Moderator?

Those of us who have been here any length of time are familiar with Neal Boortz/Clark Howard and their message. 'Be Informed and Do Your Homework'.

Boortz is a Libertarian radio personality--boortz.com and 750/WSB AM--one of Atlanta's oldest--'Best' radio stations. Cox Broadcasting and media are synonymous in Atlanta, GA--FWIW.

Clark Howard is the Consumer Affairs Guru--> clarkhoward.com

He can certainly advise consumers on money management and consumer rights/responsibilities.

As for Crime--I don't know where you live nor need/want to know. I am certain that Atlanta has similar problems: Gangs, drugs, murder, assault, theft, white collar crime of all kinds--corrupt elected officials--lots of those. Boortz is unrelenting in his quest to keep the public informed of areas which need attention.

And around here --an attempt is made to be proactive. Not always possible-every municipality needs more law enforcement officers/employees.

You can contact the local Police Department/Sheriff's office before moving into an area. Many neighborhoods have civic organizations and Neighborhood Watch programs--I don't know that any city/town/area can offer more than that.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:46 AM

89 posts, read 122,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforasafehome View Post
I would have to agree with GeorgiaBoy, its best to rent a for a few months and see the area for a while before investing, If we had that choice, we would of taken it, but sometimes you do not get that in life, this time we do have that choice and trust me, we are taking it! And you can't go by what you do hear on these threads ONLY, I would take them into consideration, but there are alot of people who are real estate agents who have a vested interest in you moving to their neck of the woods, I seen it myself here. And also it is wise to check crime stastics but be careful, I live in one of the best zipcodes, great schools and etc, but you would never know the crime and its effect on the area in which I live, till you lived here awhile, sometimes you can do everything right, do your homework and still end up in a bad place.

Yes definetly be careful by just listening to real estate agents theyll say anything you want to hear. Theres a cabin for sale next to mine and they listed it as a cabin in a peaceful retirement community which is so far from the truth. Were at the top of the hill and were definetly not retired. We have bulldogs barking and playing at all times of the day and night. Im always out back shooting shotguns and pistols. One real estate agent knocked on my door and asked if when hes showing the house If I wouldnt shoot and keep the dogs quiet. I smiled...said no and shut the door in his face. So its always better to do research yourself real estate agents are worse then people in politics.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:25 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
Quote:
One real estate agent knocked on my door and asked if when hes showing the house If I wouldnt shoot and keep the dogs quiet.
I'm sorry, I can't seem to hear you, my gun keeps going off, and that just gets my dogs all riled up. Come back later when there isn't so much noise!

Sounds like if you keep it up, Johnny, you might be able to get a real cheap piece of real estate right next to yours!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:57 PM

233 posts, read 1,227,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYCOUNTRY View Post
Yes definetly be careful by just listening to real estate agents theyll say anything you want to hear. Theres a cabin for sale next to mine and they listed it as a cabin in a peaceful retirement community which is so far from the truth. Were at the top of the hill and were definetly not retired. We have bulldogs barking and playing at all times of the day and night. Im always out back shooting shotguns and pistols. One real estate agent knocked on my door and asked if when hes showing the house If I wouldnt shoot and keep the dogs quiet. I smiled...said no and shut the door in his face. So its always better to do research yourself real estate agents are worse then people in politics.
There may be some bad agents out there, but they all are most certainly not like that. I am a real estate agent myself. I will tell anyone everything I know about the area, good or bad. The agents that lie are the ones that usually go out of business because all their clients are unhappy and they have no referrals to show for it.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:25 PM

89 posts, read 122,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpowers21 View Post
There may be some bad agents out there, but they all are most certainly not like that. I am a real estate agent myself. I will tell anyone everything I know about the area, good or bad. The agents that lie are the ones that usually go out of business because all their clients are unhappy and they have no referrals to show for it.

Yeah I come off as harsh sometimes but im not really. There are plenty of good real estate agents out there I have a good freind whos very honest with his clients. I dont like the ones that will tell a client anything they want to here. Then they move to a place and are unhappy about their move and make problems for their neighbors. Heck Ill admit im a redneck and theres plenty of us still left in North Georgia and I wouldnt want a real estate agent to mislead folks and then there stuck living next to me and they probally would have been better off in a place with restrictions and not in the wide open country.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:54 AM

233 posts, read 1,227,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYCOUNTRY View Post
Yeah I come off as harsh sometimes but im not really. There are plenty of good real estate agents out there I have a good freind whos very honest with his clients. I dont like the ones that will tell a client anything they want to here. Then they move to a place and are unhappy about their move and make problems for their neighbors. Heck Ill admit im a redneck and theres plenty of us still left in North Georgia and I wouldnt want a real estate agent to mislead folks and then there stuck living next to me and they probally would have been better off in a place with restrictions and not in the wide open country.
I am sorry if I seemed harsh. I didn't mean to be. There was a discussion on another forum how real estate agents are all alike. I honestly would get out of this profession if I could no longer help someone. I was always a likeable person. Everyone loved me. I became a real estate agent and it was like I had gotten the plague....lol. I probably should get out after all I have yet to make any money from it. I did break even one year. It's great come tax time though. I am waiting for uncle sam to tell me to give it up....you are only allowed business losses for so long, right?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:36 PM

291 posts, read 1,361,121 times
Default Lol!

Yup... I don't trust them either and yes they are worse than politicans in some respects. Rednecks don't bother me, I do not have to worry bout them coming after my car or home...in fact, one actually pulled me out of a ditch and fixed my car, and wouldn't take a dime from me. What I dislike are the gang thumping thugs who would kill me for a dime or less...Thanks for making me laugh too! I am not suprised he or she asked that of you too...not at all!

Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 PM

38 posts, read 199,700 times
hey johnnycountry where do u live? my husband loves 2 shoot and we have bull dogs..

what do u think about lincolnton? dacula?

we want 2 start a doggy day care. so we need some land and country livin i guess.

o btw can u tell me if ulike the evans area and agusta? we did visit lincolnton and agusta area..but what is ur input on it?

Old 02-04-2007, 01:09 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry88 View Post
hey johnnycountry where do u live? my husband loves 2 shoot and we have bull dogs..

what do u think about lincolnton? dacula?

we want 2 start a doggy day care. so we need some land and country livin i guess.

o btw can u tell me if ulike the evans area and agusta? we did visit lincolnton and agusta area..but what is ur input on it?

If you could start a Doggy Day Care in Dacula then I say Great! However, Good Luck. We had a local Vet attempt to purchase and remodel a building on Auburn Road in Dacula and turn it into a Day Camp and large Animal Hospital. The development authority shot it down cold. Of course, the next week they approved a seagull to drop another 150 homes off Bailey which exits at the most deadly blind spot on 324 that has claimed 3 lives in 2 years. That's ok of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia