Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,015 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are living in England and would like to find out how easy it is to relocate to Georgia. We do not know the first thing about relocating and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. We have been looking in Grayson but do not know much about the area. We have two children and would like to know what the schools etc. are like.
Clare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 12:17 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARE TOWNEND View Post
Hi, We are living in England and would like to find out how easy it is to relocate to Georgia. We do not know the first thing about relocating and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. We have been looking in Grayson but do not know much about the area. We have two children and would like to know what the schools etc. are like.
Clare
The first problem would be: how are you going to get a visa to allow you to stay more than 90 days? Work visas require lots of time, and probably the services of an immigration lawyer, and as best I can tell, have to be applied for before you leave the UK.

Canada might be easier for a citizen of the UK.

Or you could get a good tan, speak spanish, and walk across the border

Old 10-17-2007, 05:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,449 times
One of my friends from North London visited me last year. He landed in Newark, NJ and rode a Greyhound bus to GA. He loved it. He liked it much better than NY & NJ. He did find GA to be rather boring though. I'm not sure a city person from London would get adjusted to the suburbs in Gwinnett county. Decide what you want first. Do you want to live in the house of your dreams? Are you more comfortable being in the city? Is making money the most important thing to you? Really think about it. I moved to GA without a clear objective of what was most important to me. I regret it. GA is nice, but I feel like I had a better life in a smaller house in NJ. Too late now though..LOL!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:18 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
I would have to say that a move from London to Georgia would be a MAJOR adjustment. If you like big city conveniences then metro Atlanta is really your only option.. but Atlanta doesn't really feel like a city.. it's more like one giant suburb. Atlanta is trying to remedy that by encouraging more dense urban development...
One interesting tidbit about metro Atlanta.. there is a small suburban city just east of Atlanta called Avondale estates.. it was developed in the 1920s to resemble a Tudor Englishvillage.. it's a really cute little town and will emind you of England.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:08 AM

483 posts, read 2,093,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
I would have to say that a move from London to Georgia would be a MAJOR adjustment. If you like big city conveniences then metro Atlanta is really your only option.. but Atlanta doesn't really feel like a city.. it's more like one giant suburb.
Change 'suburb' to 'parking lot' and I'll agree 100%

But by big city conveniences, what do you mean?
I live in a small town.
Big cities have malls staffed by bored teenagers - we have clothing stores run by tailors.
Big cities have chain restaurants where the food is prepared 1,000 miles away and zapped in the microwave. We have Mom's where mom cooks the food herself.
Big cities have the theater. We save enough money by living in a cheaper area that we can ride AMTRAK to NY, shop, and see a Broadway show on Broadway now and then.
Big cities have Starbucks on every corner. We have only one, and it isn't very busy.
We can park on main street without paying by the hour, and walk to any of the stores.
If we for some reason can't get to the grocery or druggist, they will deliver.
What again are those conveniences you speak of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia