Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,213,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
So 1/2 of the country = fail???
Not sure what that means. 1/2 of wage earners pay no federal taxes, and the numbers are close at the state level. That means that 50% of people who earn a paycheck pay nothing to the feds in income tax. Many receive benefits or refundable credits from the gov't, so they are a net drain on the resources of the country.

I don't call people failures, but people can fail to make the right choices, and they can fail to put in the hard work, and they can fail to sacrifice and instead do things for short term gain or gratification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,620,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Not sure what that means. 1/2 of wage earners pay no federal taxes, and the numbers are close at the state level. That means that 50% of people who earn a paycheck pay nothing to the feds in income tax. Many receive benefits or refundable credits from the gov't, so they are a net drain on the resources of the country.

I don't call people failures, but people can fail to make the right choices, and they can fail to put in the hard work, and they can fail to sacrifice and instead do things for short term gain or gratification.

So all the men serving in the military overseas this year who will pay no federal income tax are a "net drain on the resources of the country. "...Also until recently almost all enlisted single parents relied on food stamps to get by. Glad their over there not you.

Also all the lower income working middle class who are below the poverty line are a "net drainon the resources of the country." .... These are the people who do the dirty work out there working in meat packing plants, picking crops, running a small business that barely breaking even. They put in long hours sometimes both parents working 2 jobs in order to make ends meet. There dream is a 3 bedroom ranch in the suburbs and a descent school for their kids.

I don't call these people failures they are the salt and blood of our society and civilization. There's a beer commercial who salutes them out there somewhere and I think you should too.

Last edited by bellhead; 04-06-2011 at 07:07 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,213,078 times
Quote:
So all the men serving in the military overseas this year who will pay no federal income tax are a "net drain on the resources of the country. "...Also until recently almost all enlisted single parents relied on food stamps to get by. Glad their over there not you.
Don't twist my words. You know damn well that's not what I mean. I have 4 family members serving, and two are in Afghanistan right now. They are not on food stamps and I resent your implication.

Quote:
Also all the lower income working middle class who are below the poverty line are a "net drainon the resources of the country." .... These are the people who do the dirty work out there working in meat packing plants, picking crops, running a small business that barely breaking even. They put in long hours sometimes both parents working 2 jobs in order to make ends meet. There dream is a 3 bedroom ranch in the suburbs and a descent school for their kids.
If you don't pay any taxes and all you do is take from those who do, while at the same time calling those same people greedy and selfish, then yes, you are a burden and also an ingrate. Clear enough? BTW...I have dreams too. I go out and work for mine, and I pay my huge taxes.

Quote:
I don't call these people failures they are the salt and blood of our society and civilization. There's a beer commercial who salutes them out there somewhere and I think you should too.
Oh...now you're a beer commercial philosopher? I salute people who are ambitious and don't want something for nothing. Society today could use a little more of what we had 200 years ago. If you didn't work, you starved. Might do some folks good to be uncomfortable.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,169,052 times
Looks like the tax overhaul proposal is gonna make a bad situation worse.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Looks like the tax overhaul proposal is gonna make a bad situation worse.

Just doing what there corporate masters told them to do.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 AM

3,713 posts, read 6,001,014 times
Quote:
Milton Friedman's = supply side FAIL!!!
It's quite difficult to make a post that has as many inaccuracies as it has words. But you have certainly come very close, at least.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
It's quite difficult to make a post that has as many inaccuracies as it has words. But you have certainly come very close, at least.
So do you support using tax cuts for the rich to add $220 million to our deficit, or not?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM

3,713 posts, read 6,001,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
So do you support using tax cuts for the rich to add $220 million to our deficit, or not?
What I said has nothing to do with this question whatsoever, or any major state tax proposal at all, so I'm not sure why this is being asked of me.

Anyhow, if you wish to get my opinion about something, please give me a link to a specific outline of a proposal and I will respond to that. "Tax cuts for the rich" can mean just about anything, including economic development incentives (such as the new KIA factory, for instance) that the left broadly supports.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
What I said has nothing to do with this question whatsoever, or any major state tax proposal at all, so I'm not sure why this is being asked of me.

Anyhow, if you wish to get my opinion about something, please give me a link to a specific outline of a proposal and I will respond to that. "Tax cuts for the rich" can mean just about anything, including economic development incentives (such as the new KIA factory, for instance) that the left broadly supports.
Are we gonna play games, or are we gonna have an honest discussion here? I posted a link a few posts back, and I was wondering whether people thought this newest Republican proposal was a good thing.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM

No, to the tax cuts....

The tax code needs to be overhauled but it needs to be done by a non partisan group and needs to be free of all loopholes.

The legislature has shown that it is utterly corrupt and can be bought. They spend 99% of their time running for reelection and further their own careers instead of doing what is best for the people in their districts.

Just today Rand Paul of Kentucky came out and said protecting miners against Black Lung disease costs too much and placed the blame on the government regulations that have dramatically lowered the instances of it during the last 3 decades.

This is the type of stuff I'm talking about.

GE paid no taxes and so did the majority of fortune 500 companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia