Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:01 PM

20 posts, read 176,140 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone and thanks for sharing all the great info on this forum!

My wife and I will be relocating to Georgia in May, probably to the Warner Robins area. We have a two year old son so schools will be a concern in a few years. We will be buying a home in the $200 - $250K range. Our major recreational interests are fishing/boating.

My questions are:
1. Could someone please recommend a nice area to live that would be within a 45 minute drive? We would like to find a place with larger size lots so we are not staring directly into the neighbors windows
2. Are there any fishing lakes or rivers nearby?
3. Are all the direct flights out of Macon to Atlanta? Or can you fly directly into another city and avoid Atlanta airport?

We have even considered living as far as the Peachtree area since I do not have a normal 8 to 5 job.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 07:37 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,421 times
First, there will be a huge number of people who discourage you from going into Macon, GA many of these people do make good points but you should always see for yourself. I would suggest Lake Wildwood, its a community in West Bibb County, about 10 mins from Macon. Lake Wildwood is located off of Zebulon Rd. and has a number of great schools in the area. For your son I would suggest Stratford Academy or either Sonny Carter Elementary to being with. Lake Wildwood is a gated community that sits on a Lake, and features many contemporary housing, and space not offered by the suburbs of Warner Robins. Lake Wildwood has 24-hour security along with recreational events on the lake and other things. Lake Wildwood sits right off of I-475 so transportation from Macon to Atlanta, or Warner Robins is a few minutes away. As far as direct access to other cities the airport is currently working on that, there will be direct flights to Baltimore, Cincinnatti, and Miami are a few to name, but that will take some time. However, here is a site that can be of great use.

http://lakewildwood.org/

Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 PM

20 posts, read 176,140 times
Thank you very much for the info. I have read many posts about Macon, some not too positive. Bibb seem to be the exception.

I have actually been to Macon before but it has been many years. I was in Warner Robins a few months ago. I will look into Wildwood, I like idea of a gated community.

crillis

Old 04-03-2007, 12:13 PM

18 posts, read 93,227 times
Default *cringes* avoid Lake Wildwood (or the balance of it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crillis View Post
Hello everyone and thanks for sharing all the great info on this forum!

My wife and I will be relocating to Georgia in May, probably to the Warner Robins area. We have a two year old son so schools will be a concern in a few years. We will be buying a home in the $200 - $250K range. Our major recreational interests are fishing/boating.

My questions are:
1. Could someone please recommend a nice area to live that would be within a 45 minute drive? We would like to find a place with larger size lots so we are not staring directly into the neighbors windows
2. Are there any fishing lakes or rivers nearby?
3. Are all the direct flights out of Macon to Atlanta? Or can you fly directly into another city and avoid Atlanta airport?

We have even considered living as far as the Peachtree area since I do not have a normal 8 to 5 job.

Thanks
*2 cents*
I used to walk on my lunchbreak through a part of Lake Wildwood. Their vehicular side entrance and its roads are littered with pregnancy tests, condom wrappers, millions of low-rent cigarette butts, and fast food containers. I was very alarmed and have since changed my route. It was sad and depressing.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:32 PM

34 posts, read 135,341 times
Default Warner Robins

I live in Warner Robins. I moved/pcs'd here in June of 1996. Kathleen or Bonaire will probably be your best bet. Lake Toblesofkee is the closest lake for fishing/recreation. It is about 30 minutes north of Warner Robins. Macon just goes to Atlanta - it's basically a shuttle back and forth. It's okay and it can save you parking, gas, and hassle of going through all the long lines at Atlanta. You have to change planes of course, but no long lines.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:20 PM

5 posts, read 20,230 times
I grew up in Warner Robins, and it is really a great place to live. The Houston County School System is excellent. As one of the other members mentioned Macon is a great place to live. In my early twenties that was the "big" city to move to for me. But after about 5 years I moved back to Warner Robins mainly for the school system. I found myself driving my daughter back and forth from Macon to Warner Robins just because of the schools. Macon has a few good public schools as a member mentioned Sonny Carter, Springdale,,, but most Macon parents that I know do send their children to private schools such as Stratford Academy. The great think about Houston County Schools is that you get that "private school" attention, and education without paying the tuition cost. Honestly, just save that money for son's college fund.

There are as previously mentioned some smaller towns, like Kathleen, Bonaire, Byron, Centerville,,,,all within about 10 minutes or so from the city.
check out,...

http://www.middlegahomes.com/subdivisions.htm (broken link)
http://www.livingchoices.com/home/homes.aspx?refer=lycos&mid=4680 (broken link)
http://www.internest.com/city/warnerrobinsga.asp (broken link)

There is an abundant amount of new construction going on in Warner Robins/Kathleen area...but if you are really looking for the yard Byron or Bonaire would be your best choices. And you will find the home prices are more reasonable definitely in your price range.

As far as fishing...
check out this sites...
http://www.trails.com/activity.asp?area=14881
It maps out the whole state for you and gives all the great fishing lakes around the area....But you know being in GA you are really only 2- 3 hrs from the coast so you know when you want to do some serious fishing just head south...

Hopes this all helps Good Luck!!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:32 PM

138 posts, read 675,912 times
RE: The Macon Airport. FORGETABOUTIT. Half the time flights don't go out on schedule. Oh wait, what's half of 3 outbound flights? 1.5. Where does that .5 go? Sorry, I don't have much good to say about that airport. Drive to Atlanta and save you some nerves.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
We live in Byron and love it, our schools (Byron Elementary, Byron Middle, and Peach County High) are really good, too. (You can check out our scores at schoolmatters.com) My son is 8 and has Asperger's Disorder. Our school has been nothing short of spectacular with him.
Our home is in a subdivision and our lot is just over an acre (all lots are 1+ acres) and we are actually selling our home since my husband's job has relocated him to Atlanta, we hate to move but the commute is just too much.

Anyways, Byron is very close to Warner Robins, especially the south end we are at (it is literally the same exit off I-75) and it really is a good little family town.

Stay away from Lake Wildwood (Wild-hood) in Macon (sorry Mayor). That neighborhood has gone downhill and is not even a glimmer of what it once was. Yes, it's gated but too much rift-raft lives in there already, I don't even know why they still man the gates...

Other nice areas would be Centerville, Warner Robins, Kathleen, Perry...

Old 06-21-2007, 08:11 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,421 times
Wow, one BAD thing happens in Macon it makes NBational News, but when something bad happens in Warner Robins, eveyrone has a hush mouth. The publicity of the goods things that happen in Macon hardly get recognized like, how Bibb COunty is giving out free luches to students, in the Macon Area, almost anyone can come to one of the lunch stations and recieve a free lunch for there child, how come thats doesnt get publicied, or the fact that Macon is building this huge park on the ocmulgee river, that is planned to be larger than Central City Park, already the largest recreational park in Central Georgia. But hey soon as someone is killed in Lake-Wildwood in over five years, it makes regional news.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:28 AM

138 posts, read 675,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfMacon2019 View Post
Wow, one BAD thing happens in Macon it makes NBational News, but when something bad happens in Warner Robins, eveyrone has a hush mouth. The publicity of the goods things that happen in Macon hardly get recognized like, how Bibb COunty is giving out free luches to students, in the Macon Area, almost anyone can come to one of the lunch stations and recieve a free lunch for there child, how come thats doesnt get publicied, or the fact that Macon is building this huge park on the ocmulgee river, that is planned to be larger than Central City Park, already the largest recreational park in Central Georgia. But hey soon as someone is killed in Lake-Wildwood in over five years, it makes regional news.
I like to listen to both sides of the story. Besides the Macon Telegraph, which paper do you suggest I read or what local news station should I listen to to learn how good Macon and Bibb Country really are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia