Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,079 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Alicia I am a single mother of 3 honor students who has recentlly gotten teaching job offers in these 4 cities and want to choose a city has an urban feel with good shopping, dining, and air transportation, also a good school system including colleges because I am planning on getting my masters in secondary education. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:53 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmas_A_Bizitch View Post
Hi, my name is Alicia I am a single mother of 3 honor students who has recentlly gotten teaching job offers in these 4 cities and want to choose a city has an urban feel with good shopping, dining, and air transportation, also a good school system including colleges because I am planning on getting my masters in secondary education. Thank you.
Columbus will offer you everything above. Columbus State University has a great grad program for teachers. Also, Auburn University is close by.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:41 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,023 times
I don't think you can go wrong with either Augusta, Macon, or Columbus. All three, for the most part offer what you are looking for. Hinesville is considerably smaller than the other three, but is reasonably close to Savannah, which has more of an urban feel and vibe than the other three cities. Augusta, Macon, and Columbus are all lacking in the air transportation area, but in the case of Macon and Columbus, you are in close enough proximity to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport for it to be a viable option. Augusta does have slightly better airline service, while Savannah does have non-stop connections to many of the major hub airports largely because of its proximity to Hilton Head. Both Columbus and Macon have regularly scheduled shuttle service to HJAA. Public schools in all three cities can be hit or miss, so it's important to research the individual school zones. Hinesville is a smaller district, but I haven't heard anything really negative about it. All of the areas have viable options for teachers master's programs.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 PM

94 posts, read 362,667 times
Here's my ranking of the cities for best to worst based on what you are looking for Alicia! :
1. Columbus( Urban-feel that you are looking for, best education, lots of venues for you to enjoy)
2. Augusta(Best Airport of the four,Very Similar to Columbus, but not quite there yet )
3. Hinesville(Ghetto, also listed as one of the worst places to live in the U.S. :/ )
4. Macon(Very Ghetto and Dangerous)

Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
I don't know about education in all of the cities but Augusta wins the other three rather easy...

1. Urban feel: two skylines downtown and medical district, the large road projects downtown, the I-20/I-520 spaghetti junction, and two suburban counties over 100k..

2. Shopping/dining: Augusta mall, Village at Riverwatch, Augusta Exchange, Surrey Center, etc

3. Air transportation: self explanatory

Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I don't know about education in all of the cities but Augusta wins the other three rather easy...

1. Urban feel: two skylines downtown and medical district, the large road projects downtown, the I-20/I-520 spaghetti junction, and two suburban counties over 100k..

2. Shopping/dining: Augusta mall, Village at Riverwatch, Augusta Exchange, Surrey Center, etc

3. Air transportation: self explanatory
Augusta doesn't win anything easily.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 PM

So Augusta doesn't even win the air service easily?

I didn't even name any of the shopping/dining venues in Aiken(160k) or Columbia(124k) counties....

The next two largest counties in the Columbus area are Russell at 52k and Harris at 32k

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-21-2011 at 08:55 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
So Augusta doesn't even win the air service easily?

I didn't even name any of the shopping/dining venues in Aiken(160k) or Columbia(124k) counties....

The next two largest counties in the Columbus area are Russell at 52k and Harris at 32k...
No it doesn't. BTW, Lee County, right across the river, has around 140k.

Not going to turn this into a p*ssing match.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 PM

94 posts, read 362,667 times
He sure is making it one...

Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
No it doesn't. BTW, Lee County, right across the river, has around 140k.

Not going to turn this into a p*ssing match.
No need to start a p*ssing because it's no contest... Isn't Lee County in the CSA and not the MSA?? Either way its one county over 100k...

Can the 800k sq. ft. Peachtree mall compete against the 1.1 million/180k sq. ft. outside promenade Augusta mall (Apple, PF Changs, Williams Sonoma, Chop House, Sephora, Pandora).. Do you have anything comparable in Columbus to the upscale three level Surrey Center in Augusta? What's in Columbus similar to the 115 acre Village at Riverwatch in Augusta?

Your airport serves 100k per year and our airport had a passenger record in 2010(500k passengers) and will do the same thing in 2011...

May/25/11
Year to date, Augusta Regional has had 175,406 total passengers, which is up 20.1 percent from last year at the end of April. Part of that increase stems from the existence of American Eagle, which was not yet flying into Augusta in April 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer_195 View Post
He sure is making it one...
Coming from a person who wrote...

Augusta(Best Airport of the four,Very Similar to Columbus, but not quite there yet )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia