U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 PM
 
972 posts, read 1,234,438 times
Reputation: 197

Advertisements

Yep, this is exactly where I thought this thread was going...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,285 posts, read 12,331,126 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Hey, I've seen those photos before somewhere. In general Columbus just has more activity downtown, that's not a knock against Augusta. Augusta is doing very well with its special events and so forth, but on a normal day, well, it's Columbus by a few students, soldiers and families or so. Columbus just have a large number of people living Downtown and now with future addition of more condos that will only add more people Downtown and more businesses to cater to them. By the way, how's your whitewater rafting?
Then why does downtown Columbus have less private construction underway??

The Saturday Market in the 8th street plaza is a normal day lol.... It's held every single Saturday from April-October.. Nobody in Augusta considers events such as Sunday Night jazz or Saturday Market 'special events'' because they're held every weekend..

Augusta already has several condos and apartments under construction.. Thirty-four new condos in the Whites Building will be available by the month of January.. On top of the seventeen who were previously built..

I bet Augusta has tons of more residential underway downtown compared to Columbus..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2011, 10:28 PM
JLA
 
627 posts, read 1,981,278 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Then why does downtown Columbus have less private construction underway??

The Saturday Market in the 8th street plaza is a normal day lol.... It's held every single Saturday from April-October.. Nobody in Augusta considers events such as Sunday Night jazz or Saturday Market 'special events'' because they're held every weekend..

Augusta already has several condos and apartments under construction.. Thirty-four new condos in the Whites Building will be available by the month of January.. On top of the seventeen who were previously built..

I bet Augusta has tons of more residential underway downtown compared to Columbus..
OK, but I'm going to have to subtract the student housing, condos, lofts, apartments and houses which already exists in Downtown Columbus. By the way, what's happening Monday thru Thursday in Downtown Augusta? You do realize this can go on for a while and no one will win. Both cities have their plus and minuses. And they can stand on their on merits. I'm willing to call it a draw and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 05:22 AM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,173 posts, read 6,028,258 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
OK, but I'm going to have to subtract the student housing, condos, lofts, apartments and houses which already exists in Downtown Columbus. By the way, what's happening Monday thru Thursday in Downtown Augusta? You do realize this can go on for a while and no one will win. Both cities have their plus and minuses. And they can stand on their on merits. I'm willing to call it a draw and move on.
It is time to ignore Nort. He is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 09:15 AM
 
1,352 posts, read 692,211 times
Reputation: 782
I smell some butthurt itt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
449 posts, read 819,545 times
Reputation: 373
As a neutral observer, in all honesty, none of our secondary cities in GA are quite where they should be, as compared to similar sized cities in other states. Outside of Savannah, none of the the other three cities can really point any fingers at the other in terms of deficiencies, or anything else for that matter. Not saying that Savannah is utopia because it also has its issues, but it is a unique city with some unique qualities, and does has some built in advantages over the others. All three of the Fall Line Cities have some outstanding things going on, but also have some things that they are all woefully deficient in, and need improvement on.

There's no need for Augusta, Macon, and Columbus to get in a pissing match with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 12:38 PM
 
25 posts, read 43,863 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
As a neutral observer, in all honesty, none of our secondary cities in GA are quite where they should be, as compared to similar sized cities in other states. Outside of Savannah, none of the the other three cities can really point any fingers at the other in terms of deficiencies, or anything else for that matter. Not saying that Savannah is utopia because it also has its issues, but it is a unique city with some unique qualities, and does has some built in advantages over the others. All three of the Fall Line Cities have some outstanding things going on, but also have some things that they are all woefully deficient in, and need improvement on.

There's no need for Augusta, Macon, and Columbus to get in a pissing match with each other.

As another neutral observer, I'd agree mostly. These towns lack or exceed another in different aspects. I think the problem around here stems from when people bring up something that Columbus obviously lacks in compared to the others, these guys from Columbus act like they cant see it, or even that it's preposterous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,173 posts, read 6,028,258 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy_DRK View Post
As another neutral observer, I'd agree mostly. These towns lack or exceed another in different aspects. I think the problem around here stems from when people bring up something that Columbus obviously lacks in compared to the others, these guys from Columbus act like they cant see it, or even that it's preposterous.
Please list what Columbus lacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 PM
JLA
 
627 posts, read 1,981,278 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Please list what Columbus lacks.
A whatchamacallit, a whositgidget and a thiggamagig. Someone please tell the city civic leaders to hurry out and buy those so that Columbus can hurry up and catch up with Macon, Augusta, Savannah, Rome, Albany, Calhoun, Blue Ridge, Lagrange and last but not least Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM
 
239 posts, read 263,118 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Please list what Columbus lacks.

Since these 2nd tier Georgia city debates have been taken place on various different topics that lead back to a comparison; you have been provided countless times what columbus lacks compared to the others which doesn't give it that big city feel that reflect it's population of nearly 200K.


But just to give some repeated food for thought
Columbus lacks:
  • NO Interstate Access/Major highways
  • NO Selection in Retail and Dining for a City of it's size
  • NO skyline
  • A lot of small town similarities
  • NO Mid-size or large city developments planned or proposed
Just to name a few; most of the retail, dining and Etc thats in Macon, Augusta or Savannah; Columbus doesn't even have yet or its just getting one. Example: What Cities in America with a Population of 180K has Only (1) Mall with (1) level; It's true that Malls are the thing of the pass but columbus has been consolidated with the county for many years and was once Ga 2nd second largest city by population; Columbus should easily landed a least 2 malls in all of those years; but do you want to know why? Columbus pop numbers looks good on paper; but in person it doesn't stand up with those numbers as far as city feel and which would make any developer question the success of any large city developments.

Now if it was Macon or Augusta both cities gives you a feel that you're in a much larger city; plus they are right off of major interstates..... Thats why Augusta and Sometimes Macon can land retail and dining plus pull off developments that are not in Columbus; If Macon can get its Consolidation passed; there are going to be some big things happening there soon..... With it being consolidiated with Bibb county; it will allow Macon to have the pop figures it needs to support its larger city feel and market the city successfully for development.... plus because of its in close proxmity to Atlanta and the commuter rail project underway; In years to come I can really see Ga investing more in Macon due to the over flow in Atlanta and the need for another class 1 city in GA. Macon also has a new development with 2 phases. Phase 1 would feature an upscale tower hotel with 40 rooms, 24 condominiums and top-floor restaurant and club which would include a 100,000-square-foot office building and a public parking deck. Phase 2 would add retail space and 142 apartments;"Approved" DT which will be one of a kind out side of atlanta for Ga Second tier cities; here are the renderings below. Keep in mind, Macon was able to pull this off with a Pop of 92k not 189K like Columbus. So just think of the developments it could land once it's consolidated...... and has a higher Pop. plus Robins AF base is less than 15 minutes away. 5 universities and colleges are in close proximity.

[/LEFT]



If it wasn't for Ft Benning columbus really wouldn't be known for anything else.... Eventhough it does have a couple of Corporate HQ.....

Last edited by NewtownMacon478; 12-14-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top