Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 AM

665 posts, read 628,155 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for the best place to build a very small house to live mortgage free. This home will be at max 500 s.f. My preference is somewhere that doesn't get a lot of snow and doesn't get too much tornado or flooding activity. I know no place is perfect, but I can dream.

I'm looking for a location that is close to as many "city" amenities (ie. gas station, grocery, park, auto mechanic, etc.) as possible and preferably a location where property/land values will appreciate. Also important, is having city water easily available if there is no well present on the property. I require there be no building/zoning/covenant restrictions.

Has anyone here built a tiny home? If so, what are your experiences and/or suggestions for someone wanting to pursue this dream? Does anyone know of any builders in GA who specialize in very small square footaged homes?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
I know of no place in Georgia that does not have some type of building / zoning laws, and most certainly NO place that offers what you're looking for: Close to city amenities and guaranteed to "appreciate."

You realize that those two things don't go together, don't you? The only place you MIGHT find that has very lax code enforcement is a very rural area where nobody gives a damn that the neighbor's house looks like ****.

BTW: Where are you coming from? Georgia may not be the place for you.

Also, have you considered just buying a trailer and parking it on some land? Most counties in rural South Georgia will still let you do that.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM

I live in Georgia. I haven't considered a trailer. I was really hoping for a house. I'm open to rural areas, but I don't want to be too far out in the boonies . I don't want to drive something like 4 hours before I can find a gas station and what not. I prefer property/land appreciation, but not expecting nor requiring it.

Mainly, I just want to be able to build a tiny house without the state or county telling me I have to build a bigger house than I want/need.

Newsboy, if you feel GA may not be a good place for such an endeavor, what states (and their counties) on the east coast would you recommend? Thanks!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
I suspect that 70 percent of GA counties have no real issues with what you build outside a city limit. Oglethorpe County next to Athens-Clarke County is hugely rural but easy driving distance into Athens which has it all.

The problem you are likely to run into is meeting septic field requirements. Check out Lexington and Crawford in Oglethorpe County. There are other counties that are even more rural. I think you will have to approach them on an individual research basis.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
I was going to suggest counties in rural SE Georgia -- Wayne (Jesup), Jeff Davis (Hazelhurst), Appling (Baxley), McIntosh (Darien), Long (Ludiwici), Ware (Waycross), Brantley (Nahunta), Evans (Claxton), Truetlen (Soperton), Toombs (Vidalia).

But as the previous poster mentioned, getting utilities to some of these rural areas may be cost prohibitive.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Ollie1946, thank you so much for your response.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:32 AM

Great! Thanks again, Newsboy. I'll definitely check out what you and Ollie1946 suggested. I appreciate this info so much.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
I should have added that most jurisdictions have some sort of building inspections along with the health dept inspection of septic systems. You should look at the selected county permit system. I applaud your desire to live mortgage free. That is not easy to achieve. Good luck to you.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 22,103 times
Truetlen (Soperton) is the ONLY COUNTY in the State of Georgia with no zoning laws what so ever. Sometime owners of the land will but condition on land because of this.

So ask before you buy.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 16,713 times
Washington County (Sandersville, Tennile) has only the State required well and Septic tank permits. I am looking at creating at THOW community there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia