Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 12,044 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to clear something up about the "northerners". I am from Mass.; moved to Lakeland Fl because I needed to help my parents. HATED the humidity so we moved to beautiful Ellijay because it "reminded" me of Mass. The beauty and simplicity of Ellijay. I was born a northerner and proud of that; but I CHOSE to live in the south. Many of us are like this, so please don't bunch all the Northerners together, ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 9,702 times
VERY small town. Less expensive than Clayton. Both are great places to live.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,137 times
I am native to Blairsville, GA. It is a great area to hike, trout fish and enjoy the outdoors + you can see the highest point in GEORGIA... Brasstown Bald Mountain ~ Unbelievable Views!! Ellijay is a nice area but if you are looking to get more out of the city you should head further North! I just happen to be a Realtor who has been selling for about 5 yrs~ It's easy to sell property in such a beautiful area!It gets warm during the summer & fall months but its not HUMID like most areas! Generally there is a great cool breeze! Blairsville is in the process of building a Wal-Mart in which it will open this Fall ~ So I guess we are now "UP & COMING!"

In

Old 01-28-2009, 06:01 AM

150 posts, read 481,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucretia139 View Post
I am native to Blairsville, GA. It is a great area to hike, trout fish and enjoy the outdoors + you can see the highest point in GEORGIA... Brasstown Bald Mountain ~ Unbelievable Views!! Ellijay is a nice area but if you are looking to get more out of the city you should head further North! I just happen to be a Realtor who has been selling for about 5 yrs~ It's easy to sell property in such a beautiful area!It gets warm during the summer & fall months but its not HUMID like most areas! Generally there is a great cool breeze! Blairsville is in the process of building a Wal-Mart in which it will open this Fall ~ So I guess we are now "UP & COMING!"

In
You really didn't have to mention that you are involved in real estate after reading your post its clear. If it's so easy selling this property how come out local little newspaper have four or five pages of foreclosed homes each week? Real Estate agents can really only fool people from one state to buy property in North Georgia. The land and homes are way overpriced and theres so many better and cheaper places to buy a home.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:43 PM

11 posts, read 74,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
You really didn't have to mention that you are involved in real estate after reading your post its clear. If it's so easy selling this property how come out local little newspaper have four or five pages of foreclosed homes each week? Real Estate agents can really only fool people from one state to buy property in North Georgia. The land and homes are way overpriced and theres so many better and cheaper places to buy a home.
This poster above is a known fixture on here who's sole purpose is to try and discourage people from moving to north Georgia - they don't want any change and disdain any positives from happening in North Georgia - don't pay any attention to them. I am not a realtor in the area, but I am also not a person who wants to keep good people from coming to the wonderful area.

Floridians and New Yorkers are Americans too - some people apparently do not realize that. Many of them have fought and died to protect the rights of North Georgia "locals" too - remember that. This is still ONE country. A few backward-thinking people scattered around North Georgia can't seem to understand that (emphasis on "FEW")

Old 01-28-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldaway View Post
This poster above is a known fixture on here who's sole purpose is to try and discourage people from moving to north Georgia - they don't want any change and disdain any positives from happening in North Georgia - don't pay any attention to them. I am not a realtor in the area, but I am also not a person who wants to keep good people from coming to the wonderful area.

Floridians and New Yorkers are Americans too - some people apparently do not realize that. Many of them have fought and died to protect the rights of North Georgia "locals" too - remember that. This is still ONE country. A few backward-thinking people scattered around North Georgia can't seem to understand that (emphasis on "FEW")
LMAO...When have I said anything bad at all about folks from Western New York. My Neighbor moved here from a small rural town up north and feels the same way I feel about city folks like you wanting to move here and change it in the dump you tucked your tails between your legs and went running from. First of all people with a country attitudes way of thinking isn't backwards at all. Remember you moved too them not vice versa so show a little respect to them. Plus if you're emphasis on a few is actually a few you are so far off and know it. Face it you want a bunch of people from the city to move up here and change it just like you want it too be. Then you'll hop in your Suv's and strap those stupid cargo boxes on top and move and destroy the natural beauty and country ways of another mountain town. Thats just a fact and you know it. I don't care if people keep on moving to North Georgia it sucks now anyways. The land prices and real estate is way over priced. Theres a lot of tension between the people around here. There are so many better places to live now. North Georgia is just becoming a mini Florida and will turn into a place just like south Florida before its all said and done.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 AM

17 posts, read 42,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I looked extensively at property in Ellijay, Blue Ridge, Morganton, Mineral Bluff, and the Clayton area (includes Clayton, Tiger, Dillard, and Lakemont). Here's how I summed it up.

Ellijay is a very pretty area, but it wasn't mountainous enough for what I wanted. It wasn't close enough to a river or lake for my liking, and it didn't have anything kids could do.

I couldn't find any properties in my price range in Blue Ridge that met my specifications, but did find one in Morganton that I liked and made an offer on. After a couple of rounds of negotiations, I determined that the seller was way out of line on price for what he was offering, so I walked.

I looked for some property in the Lookout Mountain area, and would have purchased something on the Bluff, if it was availiable.

I then turned my search to the Clayton area. This area had everything I was looking for. A nice small town, large natural river to the east and several beautiful lakes to the west and south of Clayton. Great hiking trails (Bartrum Trail), and not far from some nice towns in NC and SC. So, this is where I purchased some land with a small house/cabin on it. The one draw back of Clayton is I think this is a town that will continue to grow - and I hope not too much as I like it's rural charicter.
PRICHARD I liked your reply very much and it has helped me. I want to live in a small town but will look for an apartment to rent for myself. I think/feel the same way you do about not wanting the small towns to grow too fast... not grow much at all. I am a Veteran so want to be close enough to drive to a VA facility. I visited GA over the fourth of July in one of the towns you mentioned. I want to go back permenantly!

Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRECRACKERGIRL View Post
PRICHARD I liked your reply very much and it has helped me. I want to live in a small town but will look for an apartment to rent for myself. I think/feel the same way you do about not wanting the small towns to grow too fast... not grow much at all. I am a Veteran so want to be close enough to drive to a VA facility. I visited GA over the fourth of July in one of the towns you mentioned. I want to go back permenantly!

What part did you visit over the Fourth?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 PM

17 posts, read 42,561 times
Blue Ridge... I came back feeling like I was in America and love for God and Country was a good thing again. I met friendly people and just had a good simple time... : )

Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Wow... this post scares me. We just bought a home in the N. Ga. Mountains. Why? First and foremost because it was our dream to do so. The absolute beauty of the place is astounding. And secondly, it is so close to our son in Atlanta and strategically placed between elderly in-laws in Kentucky and my parents in Florida.

I was looking forward to becoming a part of a community again. But am I going to be hated just because I have FL license plates on my car? We can't afford to retire yet, so we have to keep our FL residency awhile longer, but I don't want to change anything. I just want to retire in the peace and quiet of the mountains full time eventually. But for now I have no choice but to "vacation" there. I promise.. I'm not a complainer, nor will I try to change anything... and I hate Wal-mart with a passion, so I promise to shop at all the local places. Will that help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia