Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:18 PM

11 posts, read 44,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
You need to get a grip, or move into the 21st century.
I live in one of those counties, and while the makeup is not 50/50 or 60/40 like in Atlanta, you don't have to go far to find people of whatever race or nationality you want.
This is wrong. There are NO blacks to be found in Towns, Union and White Counties. I do recall one yound black man who came up in 1994 as a construction project supervisor. No one would rent him a room and no restaurant would serve him. By 6 pm his first night, two Sheriff's deputies strongly recommended that he be "gone before dark." He was.

This is one of the few areas where the "Bonnie Blue Knights of the KKK" is highly active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 03:42 PM

34 posts, read 112,939 times
Towns, Union, White Counties are all 95-99% white. Out of these 3 counties, White is the most diverse. 95% of White County is white, 2% black.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,821 times
I was there in 1994 when the young black man showed up in Blairsville. Actually he hung out with me for the majority of the night at the Huddle House, where I was a waitress. I was fired for talking to him. I am interested in knowing anything and all things about the bonnie blue knights, particulary that of Ernie Anderson. I believe he was friends with my x-husband.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
You need to get a grip, or move into the 21st century.
I live in one of those counties, and while the makeup is not 50/50 or 60/40 like in Atlanta, you don't have to go far to find people of whatever race or nationality you want.
Oh right, it's a regular United Nations.
Why don't you get a grip, friend?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM

39 posts, read 169,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh right, it's a regular United Nations.
Why don't you get a grip, friend?

Well, the difference is I actually LIVE here, so I actually know what I'm talking about.

Unlike you.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:02 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumm0x View Post
Well, the difference is I actually LIVE here, so I actually know what I'm talking about.

Unlike you.
Who are you?

My two uncles have lived in Hiawassee for 25 years.
My family has owned a house on Lake Rabun for over 40 years.
Our family farm is in Lumpkin County.
So I know what I'm talking about, too.
Read the thread; unlike you, my statement is being backed up by other posters.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Please re-read the original poster's request folks - then answer it, and FIGHT ELSEWHERE.

Thank you.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:05 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,804 times
I moved to White County in 1996 I moved because I wanted more of a "sense of community" for my children, ages 7 and 3 at the time. I wanted to live in a community where everyone knew each other. There are several "founding" families that have been here for a long time - some of those families are black.
I have not found myself to be excluded from any activity I wanted to be a part of - in fact, volunteering is a big part of this community. Don't expect any great job market here - generally folks live here because they want to live here, it is certainly not for the jobs. The school system is the county's largest employer.
As far as medical services, it is not the best. There are a few family practice doctors but that's about it. No hospital - no ER. You have to go to Gainesville (Hall county) for most medical needs - about a 20-30 minute drive depending on where you live in the county.
This county is mostly white with a few blacks, asians and hispanics.
Shopping - pretty limited. A super Wal-mart is being built but for now you have Ingles and a few dollar stores. Helen has the typical touristy kinda of shops. Sautee has a great coffee shop and a few art galleries.
Overall, I am glad that I moved and that my children were able to grow up in a community that knew who they were and knew who their parents were as well.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:53 PM

17 posts, read 56,610 times
Why is it bad to move to Hall county/ Isn't that Helen Ga.?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:23 AM

271 posts, read 583,136 times
Noooo...Hall county is Gainesville. Alot of Illegals,crime etc etc...my brother has lived there for 15 years and just recently moved north of the city to a nice suburb. Helen is in white county. Its a small tourist trap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia