Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 11:20 AM

21 posts, read 84,056 times

Advertisements

I have been doing alot of research on the S. Georgia area, trying to relocate my family out of Tampa Bay over the summer. Been doing research from the east coast to the west coast, staying focused on S. of the Macon area.

My husband now has a job offer in Bainbridge, haven't researched too much about that area.

Anyone with info on any and everything is appreciated.
We are a family with three school aged kids, so, I will be looking for a nice, safe, family area to settle down in.

Anyone with advice?

Thanks so much.
ElMar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,640 times
I would not move my family to bainbridge. Right now we are working on moving OUT of bainbridge due to lack of jobs and discrimination against people with disabilities. If your husband has a job with a "Title" and it will make him an "Important person" in the community then by all means go for it.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 PM

152 posts, read 746,219 times
ElMar- I have recently relocated to GA, in Leesburg, so I don't know much about the state, let alone Bainbridge. However, over the 4th of July weekend, I traveled to and from Pensacola, FL, passing through Bainbridge each time.

When I passed through Baindbridge on my way to Pensacola, at about 4pm on Friday the 4th, I drove from one end of town to the other, going straight through downtown. When driving through, I noticed that it was a very nice 'small town', appearing clean and what one might imagine a small southern town to look like.

On my return trip, I traveled the same route through Bainbridge, early in the morning of Sunday the 5th, at about 1am. Although it was dark that time through, I noticed pretty much all of the same things, although this time I also noticed that they light up the downtown area very nicely at night, and that it was a very QUIET town. Despite it being 1am when I was passing through, inbetween Saturday night and Sunday morning, the number of cars I saw on the road in Bainbridge could be counted on one hand, and I don't recall seeing a single person out and about (ie: wandering around aimlessly, loitering somewhere, etc.).

Bainbridge is definitely out in the middle of no where, but in many ways that is a good thing. Several areas that would be nice to visit are easily within less than a 3-4 hour drive, such as Lake Seminole, Tallahassee (FL), Pensacola (FL), Panama City (FL), Jacksonville (FL), and Atlanta, just to name a few.

With all of that said, if it were me and I was looking for a good place to raise a family, assuming I had a good job lined up prior to arriving, I'd defintiely be interested gathering more info (such as the area schools, etc.) and considering Bainbridge as a place I'd like to move to, based on what I saw.

Last edited by jeff3166; 07-12-2008 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: to fix a couple of typos

Old 07-14-2008, 10:58 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,059,343 times
Not from Bainbridge but one of my very close friends lived there for years. Went and visited with her (about 8 yrs ago) one summer and the town is very small -everybody knows everybody- and very segregated. This is not unusual for small southern towns in Georgia, but it is a reality. We went to a high school football game and the stands we divided by race, not by team. I liked the town and met many friendly people who were 'big business' in Bainbridge and had a great time while I was there. Not sure how old your kids are but we went to a party in the middle of a farm field and drank and smoked and apparently that was a normal weekend for them. It has been 8 years since I was there but my friend and I are still very close and she still goes back all the time to visit family and friends and never tells me anything has changed. The nice thing about it being such a small town is that she has not lived there in probably 20 years and still has good friends there and close ties.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia