Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,362 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Here's the situation I'm 23 years old, I have two children and I currently live in Cleveland, Ohio. I am looking to relocate to Georgia. My question is as a city girl where would be the best city in Georgia to move into without moving into the ghetto but also without losing the city feel. To me Cleveland is depressing there are practically no jobs, crime rate has drastically climbed and the people affected by drugs are on the rise. To me and I have lived here all my life it is no place to raise children. I ask that in answering this question that you as responder relize that I am African American and do not what to subject my children to highly racist people so I would want to stay somewhere that welcomes black people. If that sounds harsh I'm sorry. However thank you for any input that you may have. I have been looking into Athens but any suggestion are welcome and again thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaa View Post
I am African American and do not what to subject my children to highly racist people so I would want to stay somewhere that welcomes black people.
If that's the case then I think you could just check the size of the Black population of the Georgia town or city you're interested in because that could indicate wether or not Blacks like it there or that there are enough Blacks there to reduce racial problems.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:37 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Athens, Ga is quite a nice town, with the feel of a college town (University of Georgia is located there). It will not feel as urban as Cleveland, but has a downtown with a very lively college music scene and nice cafes.

Any Georgia town with a population over 50,000 will have an inner city that is majority black, so you won't have a problem fitting in. You instead will be find yourself struggling against the same things you are fleeing in Cleveland. In Athens, you will probably be okay if you shop the neighborhoods and you have a $180,000+ housing budget. But you may want to consider private schools, or perhaps locating nearby in Oconee County for the public schools.
Another area to consider would be DeKalb County in metro Atlanta, with a large professional black population.
Most posters on the board will remind anyone considering a move to secure a job first, then relocate.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:35 AM

11 posts, read 32,855 times
Smile girl move to Savannah

a girl, Savannah is the best place for you to raise them babies. Crime is not bad here, you will be welcomed with opened arms and the kids. the daycare is great so is the school system. We got a beach. Its not GHETTO!!!!!!! Really bay you gotta experience this place for yourself, we all family down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia