Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 PM

21 posts, read 84,039 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, or is it impossible to find work in Coffee County???? Is anyone else having as much trouble as I am? Is Georgia just the worst place in America to be without a job at this point?

Anyone with any leads, any ideas or in a similar situation, please let me know.

My family and I relocated here from Tampa Bay last summer. We LOVE it here, the kids are doing great in school, BUT, my husband lost his NEW job due to cut-backs in September and hasn't been able to find ANYTHING since.
He's been looking in the surrounding counties as well.

We don't want to leave, but, what does one do when no work is available??

Trying to hold on to life in Douglas.
ElMar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMar View Post
Is it just me, or is it impossible to find work in Coffee County???? Is anyone else having as much trouble as I am? Is Georgia just the worst place in America to be without a job at this point?
Some other states are much better, but other states are worse at this point. This data is a month old, but I suspect the relative ordering is roughly the same for February:

Unemployment Rates for States

and this data is two months old:

Unemployment rates - Unemployment rates by state from CNNMoney

That doesn't help your husband, I know , but it does show that job searching is difficult in many places.

FWIW, I lost my airline job after 9/11 and it took me over two years to find comparable permanent work again (and I had to move 1,200 miles to get it), so I have some idea what it's like. And that was my second layoff (the first was nine years earlier).

Sooner or later something will show up, but it is really frustrating to get there.

What exactly is he looking for? Maybe someone here can provide more specific information?

Old 02-28-2009, 06:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Well, I bet this isn't going to help the folks in Douglas.

Pilgrim's Pride to close 900-worker Georgia plant | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/business/stories/2009/02/27/pilgrims_pride_georgia.html%3Fcxtype%3Drss%26cxsvc %3D7%26cxcat%3D6 - broken link)

Old 03-01-2009, 03:14 PM

21 posts, read 84,039 times
He is capable of working in various areas. His work of latest has been in Disaster Restoration, working with water damages and mold remediation mostly. He chased every major hurricane that went through a few years ago. He also has alot of experience in idustrial/electrical maintanence and has worked as a warehouse manager, so, he is not stuck to one field and he is open to ANYTHING that might come available, there just isn't anything out there right now, nadda.

Thanks for your input!!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,906 times
Yes, you are NOT alone! I've never been fired from a job (or laid off) and NEVER had so much trouble finding a job as I've had now. I'm newly divorced and struggling badly. Hope your hubby has had some luck.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 19,592 times
Douglas has been losing jobs steadily for the past 7 years. Why did you move there of all places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia