Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:12 PM

295 posts, read 320,645 times

Advertisements

On Thursday, March 12, 2009, the Georgia State Senate passed bill No.27, by a vote of 48-2, designating April as Confederate History Month. This bill has benn voted out of committee for a full House vote and supporters of the bill say that the measure would be a boom to the state's tourism industry, encouraging visitors to come to the many Georgia Civil War Battlefield sites.
Americans observe Black, Jewish, Hispanic, Native American and Women's History Month......Those who served the Confederacy came from many races and religions. There was Irish born General Patrick R. Cleburne, black southerner Amos Rucker, Jewish born Judah P. Benjamin, Mexican born Colonel Santos Benavides, Cherokee American Indian General Stand Watie-the highest ranking officer on either side, and Major Gen. Camille Armand Jules Marie, Prince de Polignac born in France.
How do the people feel about bill no.27 and should we do more in the honoring of Confederate holidays and history throughout the south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:19 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
On Thursday, March 12, 2009, the Georgia State Senate passed bill No.27, by a vote of 48-2, designating April as Confederate History Month. This bill has benn voted out of committee for a full House vote and supporters of the bill say that the measure would be a boom to the state's tourism industry, encouraging visitors to come to the many Georgia Civil War Battlefield sites.
Americans observe Black, Jewish, Hispanic, Native American and Women's History Month......Those who served the Confederacy came from many races and religions. There was Irish born General Patrick R. Cleburne, black southerner Amos Rucker, Jewish born Judah P. Benjamin, Mexican born Colonel Santos Benavides, Cherokee American Indian General Stand Watie-the highest ranking officer on either side, and Major Gen. Camille Armand Jules Marie, Prince de Polignac born in France.
How do the people feel about bill no.27 and should we do more in the honoring of Confederate holidays and history throughout the south?

How do you feel about it?

Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 PM

722 posts, read 3,317,394 times
lol, I'm sure he can live with it. It's one thing to honor soldiers, but are we honoring them or are we honoring the cause they fought for. If it's the latter, then I have a problem with it

Old 03-21-2009, 06:41 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,859,216 times
The history of The Confederacy was all of 4 years.. we need an entire month for that?? Why not a week or even just a day?? I for one am sick of all these history and awareness months.. I think they're silly. So I think they should all be done away with.. plus aren't you going to run out of months?

Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM

Default Just dandy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
How do you feel about it?
I feel sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooo
OVERJOYED ABOUT IT, thank you for asking!!!! YEE HAH!

Old 03-21-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
The history of The Confederacy was all of 4 years.. we need an entire month for that?? Why not a week or even just a day?? I for one am sick of all these history and awareness months.. I think they're silly. So I think they should all be done away with.. plus aren't you going to run out of months?
Yeah, but now they want a History month for honoring Jerry Springer too, can we deal with that?

Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
lol, I'm sure he can live with it. It's one thing to honor soldiers, but are we honoring them or are we honoring the cause they fought for. If it's the latter, then I have a problem with it
I do like honoring the Confederate soldiers for the cause they fought for,so I guess you have a problem on your hands?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
How would you feel if the German government passed "Nazi History Month" or if the Russians decided to celebrate "Communist History Month?" Some things are best forgotten or remembered in their correct and true context and infamy. The history of the Confederacy and her supporters is rebellion, defeat, and racism. You'd think by now people would just let it drop.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
dramatic movie scene alert...
http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/4.gif (broken link)

Ok folks - it's a VERY controversial topic, for sure. Just remember to play nice while discussing it.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:35 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,647,371 times
I have to agree with Neil on this issue. Why not just build an objective history museum on all that had happened and the people who were involved in this war. I usually don't say things like this but this is STUPID, lets celebrate the Confederacy right after Black History Month. Okay, so one month a kid will learn the goods of one culture just to tear it all down the following month. This may be a little extreme but I have images in my head of some Confederate parade in downtown Atlanta with a KKK float right in the middle of it all. This isn't good for Atlanta if this becomes routine. I'd probably be in MD soon anyway so it's all sort of good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia