Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:41 AM

40 posts, read 139,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
my neighbor had a copperhead in his bathroom a year or so back. i just saw, almost stepped on a small black snake yesterday in my yard and had a corn snake crawling up the brick work of my house looking in my window. in south georgia they have rattlesnake roundups and festivals. if you are around sluggish creeks and streams, ponds you will come across Moccasins and water snakes. the point is not to freak you out, but to let you know that if you have a phobia about snakes, then you need to move further north. you want to have a large garden, well the snakes will be there too.

but, in real terms, you are more likely to be struck by lightning, killed by a drunk driver or bored to death in our slow moving southern towns and villes.

oh, then there are the fire ants. hopefully, none of you will be allergic to those bites and it isn't just a single bite, they swarm onto you and seem to bite at once. i had a friend who almost did die from those and he was over 230 pounds worth of man.

moccasins and rattlesnakes can really hurt you. you do need to be careful when you go outside but no matter what, when you are in nature, you are in the food chain. just be careful. watch where you put your foot and hands. survey the area.
I've done a lot of research concerning relocating to either Atlanta or Savannah. Atlanta is no longer an option for my retirement. But it seems like the more I research Savannah it feels like I indeed would become part of the food chain insects, animals, snakes would prey on constantly indoors and out, near water or not. Chiggars, palmettos, snakes in your garden, trees. As beautiful as Georgia and particularly Savannah appear to be, I can't get around the predators from the natural world. Visitors can go home but once you relocate, that option of leaving if you don't think you can adapt may not be an option for most of us, at least without staying long enough to put aside money to move which could be very expensive. I would still like to try it out. Wisconsin was home for 20 yrs and before that, born and raised in Chicago IL. (in the city) Living in Wisconsin is very diverse in terms of the natural world. In the woods you could run up on anything snakes, deer to wolves. Insects like ticks, gnats, etc. (You want to avoid woods and forests during hunting season). In the cities according to which one and how urban it is, you could live there for years and never encounter snakes unless you go fishing or near wooded areas or where you have creeks, etc. It is an outdoorsmen state and lots of farmland. It is quite beautiful like Illinois. Everywhere has its positives and negatives, it's about what you can adapt to or want to stay bad enough to adapt. Somehow we always do. Love this thread by the way.

Last edited by mopaper; 04-19-2018 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: misspelled words and added a few lines as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 PM

496 posts, read 466,754 times
I realize this is an old thread, but I have a couple of questions regarding snakes and water. I read and watch tv shows where people in the southeast swim a lot, go boating, kayaking etc. How is that safe if there are venomous snakes in the water? Are there particular places around lakes/streams/rivers where it's less likely to run into snakes?

Old 04-20-2018, 07:03 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I have a couple of questions regarding snakes and water. I read and watch tv shows where people in the southeast swim a lot, go boating, kayaking etc. How is that safe if there are venomous snakes in the water? Are there particular places around lakes/streams/rivers where it's less likely to run into snakes?
I grew up in rural South Georgia. Snakes are not a big concern. Sure, I would see them occasionally, but snakes don’t want to interact with people any more than people want to interact with snakes. They are as afraid of you as you are of them. I would certainly not base my decision to live in an area on my fear of snakes.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:11 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I grew up in rural South Georgia. Snakes are not a big concern. Sure, I would see them occasionally, but snakes don’t want to interact with people any more than people want to interact with snakes. They are as afraid of you as you are of them. I would certainly not base my decision to live in an area on my fear of snakes.
Exactly I go hiking in North Georgia all the time and hardly ever see a snake. They can hear you coming way before and get out of the way and yes you are more likely to see them near streams by rocks. Once again they aren’t looking to mess with you.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:51 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
You are much more likely to get horribly mangled by mans best friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia