Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,599 times

Advertisements

My family and I plan to relocate to the Grand Rapids area (from CA) in the next year. My main concern in moving is the job/economic situation in MI. My husband is an Information Technology Manager (network administration, server management, etc). I have looked online and have only found a few jobs in this field, and they were mostly lower level positions. Are the jobs really that scarce, or am I just not seeing them online? Also, what would you say is the average salary being offered in that type of job? Incomes are very different out here in California so we need to get an idea of what to expect in Michigan.

I appreciate any input, especially from anyone in the IT field.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
I certainly understand why people would want to flee Mexi-, er California. However, Michigan isn't the place to come without a job, and the situation in Michigan is only going to get worse. The state's government is completely impotent and intellectually bankrupt. People are fleeing Michigan, not rushing in. There are other states with better economies that should receive consideration instead.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:14 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I certainly understand why people would want to flee Mexi-, er California. However, Michigan isn't the place to come without a job, and the situation in Michigan is only going to get worse. The state's government is completely impotent and intellectually bankrupt. People are fleeing Michigan, not rushing in. There are other states with better economies that should receive consideration instead.
Well without knowing their exact circumstances Bhaalspawn, perhaps you should hold off on sending them elsewhere. Sheesh.

nikaku, your husband might find some leads from this site:

Grand Rapids – Rapid Growth - Innovation + Job News

There are a lot of them listed with links to their homepages. Personally, I've never gotten a job through newspaper ads or online career sites. The listings on those usually turn out to be garbage. But it can't hurt to try indeed.com, which compiles all the big online employment site listings.

edit: this site looks like it has a few upper level listings: Information Technology - Michigan Grand Rapids jobs, positions and employment

I don't work in IT, but with your husband's experience, I would think he could make $80,000 - $100,000. Cost of living here is pretty low, with average home prices being around $200,000 in the metro area.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikaku View Post
My family and I plan to relocate to the Grand Rapids area (from CA) in the next year. My main concern in moving is the job/economic situation in MI. My husband is an Information Technology Manager (network administration, server management, etc). I have looked online and have only found a few jobs in this field, and they were mostly lower level positions. Are the jobs really that scarce, or am I just not seeing them online? Also, what would you say is the average salary being offered in that type of job? Incomes are very different out here in California so we need to get an idea of what to expect in Michigan.

I appreciate any input, especially from anyone in the IT field.
Thanks!

If he's in IT, he should have no problem telecommuting. A great number of IT people work out of their homes.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,599 times
Default Thanks!

Magellan, thanks for the very helpful website leads. I will check those out! As for Bhaalspawn's opinion of California, he or she may not know that there are two "Californias", northern and southern. I am from northern California which is a most magnificent and beautiful place to live. The only bad part is the outrageous cost of real estate which is why we are moving.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:00 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikaku View Post
Magellan, thanks for the very helpful website leads. I will check those out! As for Bhaalspawn's opinion of California, he or she may not know that there are two "Californias", northern and southern. I am from northern California which is a most magnificent and beautiful place to live. The only bad part is the outrageous cost of real estate which is why we are moving.
You're welcome!

Old 02-09-2008, 07:56 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,866 times
Default IT Jobs

Comparing MI to CA is not apples to apples, however most of the tech jobs here will be at the lower level, within the health care industry (my best friend just moved to LA and for a tech job at a hospital). Have you looked in Ann Arbor? There is a large number of employers that have positions, Google, U of M, several hospitals, government, etc. Your husband might have a better prospect of finding a higher level position near Detroit. Well hope all is well

cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area